Towns/Villages In The North

Started by galwayman, August 30, 2009, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: fingerbob on August 30, 2009, 10:30:27 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 30, 2009, 10:01:19 PM
jaysus fingerbob, if that has you angry, I wouldn't like to see you with something really wrong!

:D I think it was more the lack of chinese that rattled my cage!
:D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AFS on August 30, 2009, 05:42:17 PM
Quote from: galwayman on August 30, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Driving through Armagh city there were Union Jacks everywhere - I didn't realise this was a mainly protestant city?

Armagh would actually be about 70% Catholic I think.
There is something that puzzles me about Armagh and places further west and maybe some of the Nordie posters here could help me out.
I used to do a bit of rugby coaching at a school in Dublin (17 and 18 year olds) and one club in East Belfast couldn't do enough to help me out in any way it could. This was Malone and I had a lot of contacts there in my own playing days. Fair enough, a lot of the bigger rugby schools in Dublin, mainly the Proddy ones, were very helpful also and would put out one of their third or fourth sides to give us a game but I have to say the club in East Belfast not only made me and my gang welcome but went out of the way to make contact with any youth side, college or not, from the Republic.
I knew the area is a solid loyalist one but I could never say anything negative about the club; we were advised to drive straight there and to head directly for the border when we were leaving. Apart from that I had no problems at all.
Now what puzzles me is this:
Some of the alicadoos there told me they could line up other youth sides if I wanted to play other teams in the north but the advice was to stick to east of the Bann at all times. The further west I went, the greater the chances of hostility would be, if you know what I mean.
Armagh in particular was a place to shun as a southern school bus was likely to be stoned out of the place and Derry was likely to be even worse.
I would have thought the opposite would be the place but I took the advice I got and I never had any problems bringing a bus with the name of the school in Irish and English emblazoned on the sides, through some strong Unionist areas.
Is it a case that the anti republic  hostility is greatest where the Unionists are in a minority and that it becomes more obvious the further you travel west?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Capt Pat

I have to say these lads putting up the flags etc are just making the point about how they really don't belong on this island. There were a lot of anglo prod types down here before 1922, but a lot left because they have no real ties to this island. They were here on British government money and contracts and military types etc. and they were not long for the road after 1922. the same I feel will happen to a lot of those union jack types up the north. If the job and the welfare goes they won't be long in following. If there is a United Ireland they won't be long heading back across the water.

Roger

In the 70s and 80s Malone RFC allegedly had a few 'Politically colourful' characters but in terms of rugby it wouldn't have been an issue for a team from the Republic to visit or have strong relationships with teams from NI regardless of the community backgrounds of the clubs.  I think this would be the same for all clubs in NI.  There was more of a problem with the security of some players travelling south due to their jobs. 

Btw, being pro-British doesn't mean anti-Republic of Ireland. Bushmills is always decorated during the summer and has been for many years.  I frequent the area throughout the summer and I think I've noticed more southern registered cars and buses in the area this year than previously. This has been a growing trend over the last decade. Loads of other Euro countires too and the yanks love the area due to the golf courses nearby. I wouldn't get too hung up about the flags etc and don't think many tourists do either.  At this time of year around towns it's the same but I suppose there is some merit in the view that for those feeling more vulnerable or under threat, there is a tendency to put the flags out in abundance.  Bushmills can't really be seen as a minority area though could it?  Crossgar was probably just decorated more than usual due to the big 'Last Saturday' parade this weekend.

As for Bushmills, did they not sponsor Antrim Gaelic sides until recently?  I imagine they'd write Made in Europe/Ireland/Antrim/Northern Ireland/UK/The North/Here/Near-an-overrated-rock-formation/ Backarseofnowhere (delete as appropriate) if it made commercial sense depending on their target market.  Couldn't blame them for any description but I wouldn't read much into it either.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Would you not admit Roger that flags and bunting make areas look tacky/dirty and rough (especially after a few weeks and they start getting tatty).
Tbc....

imtommygunn

There was a show on last night on TG4 about Iris Robinson's beliefs.

A fella from the south who was gay kept visiting her office to see if he could get "help". One thing that struck me was that TG4 interviewed him in Irish outside the Unionist office in loyalist heartland.

It struck me that it didn't seem to matter now whereas a few years ago there would be big trouble. Bassed on that I'm not sure people care so much any more.

Orior

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 31, 2009, 11:15:40 AM
There was a show on last night on TG4 about Iris Robinson's beliefs.

A fella from the south who was gay kept visiting her office to see if he could get "help". One thing that struck me was that TG4 interviewed him in Irish outside the Unionist office in loyalist heartland.

It struck me that it didn't seem to matter now whereas a few years ago there would be big trouble. Bassed on that I'm not sure people care so much any more.

Doubt that there'd be much danger when a TV crew is about.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Roger

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 31, 2009, 11:01:30 AM
Would you not admit Roger that flags and bunting make areas look tacky/dirty and rough (especially after a few weeks and they start getting tatty).

I would readily admit it. 

CĂșig huaire

Quote from: Roger on August 31, 2009, 01:54:24 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 31, 2009, 11:01:30 AM

I would readily admit it.

Especially if those flags and buntings are orange and white.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Farrandeelin

I was driving through Tamlaght in Co Fermanagh and there were Union Jacks everywhere. I know it's a small village, but I've never seen as much flags in the one area before.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2009, 03:51:02 PM
I was driving through Tamlaght in Co Fermanagh and there were Union Jacks everywhere. I know it's a small village, but I've never seen as much flags in the one area before.
A Protestant lives there.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 31, 2009, 05:54:14 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2009, 03:51:02 PM
A Protestant lives there.

I get it now. Sure one of my best friend's a Protestant too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Iceman

driving up the mall, barack street and out the newry road does not constitiute driving through armagh city

2/3rds of armagh would be considered catholic areas with 1/3 protestant

I know i never shopped a day in my life in barrack street or purchased any food there

nor would you get many protestants in Micky Kellys (though there are exceptions)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

saffron sam2

I was hoping someone would have tried the "One side is as bad as the other" argument.

Sometimes I miss SammyG.

Not often though.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on August 31, 2009, 08:12:32 PM
driving up the mall, barack street and out the newry road does not constitiute driving through armagh city

2/3rds of armagh would be considered catholic areas with 1/3 protestant

I know i never shopped a day in my life in barrack street or purchased any food there

nor would you get many protestants in Micky Kellys (though there are exceptions)
I've bought plenty on Barrack St. Have I let Ireland down?