Towns/Villages In The North

Started by galwayman, August 30, 2009, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 02, 2009, 01:30:40 PM
what did you buy on Barrack Street a Bada Bing or a pint of Guinness in the Victoria?
Who me? Been in Bada Bing many a time. Let's just say the Victoria wouldn't be my cup of tea! I've bought paint in The Paint Shop and have got a hoover fixed in Kilpatrick's.

The Iceman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2009, 01:36:07 PM
what did you buy on Barrack Street a Bada Bing or a pint of Guinness in the Victoria?
Who me? Been in Bada Bing many a time. Let's just say the Victoria wouldn't be my cup of tea! I've bought paint in The Paint Shop and have got a hoover fixed in Kilpatrick's.

I never felt too comfortable in barrack street especially in the evenings.  I remember several near run-ins with locals when I would be at the Cantonese.  Maybe things have changed these days but I doubt there are too many Catholics/nationalists frequenting the Victoria bar at any time of the day
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on September 02, 2009, 02:17:44 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2009, 01:36:07 PM

I never felt too comfortable in barrack street especially in the evenings.  I remember several near run-ins with locals when I would be at the Cantonese.  Maybe things have changed these days but I doubt there are too many Catholics/nationalists frequenting the Victoria bar at any time of the day
I would say zero is the figure. With the demise of Spider's and Orr's Corner the area is more hospitable now. Means though that the Armagh prod doesn't have much in the way of watering holes -Victoria and Hole in the Wall being the main ones I'd say. I'm more a McKenna's man myself.

The Iceman

Can the City Hotel be given any credit for buying Orr's Corner, taking the License, and closing it down?
It did remove some of the trouble late at night from the hotel when Orr's clients would move to the Hotel at closing time.....

I think a lot of protestants would drink in the theatre bar?  I know it was definitely the cross community bar for all the trendys when I was home.

McKennas is as good a bar as you will get though the clientele.....another story ;)

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on September 02, 2009, 04:20:22 PM
Can the City Hotel be given any credit for buying Orr's Corner, taking the License, and closing it down?
It did remove some of the trouble late at night from the hotel when Orr's clients would move to the Hotel at closing time.....

I think a lot of protestants would drink in the theatre bar?  I know it was definitely the cross community bar for all the trendys when I was home.

McKennas is as good a bar as you will get though the clientele.....another story ;)
Theatre bar would get a cross community clientele although more middle class "trendies" from both camps as you say. Yer loyalist bandsman/Rangers fan would be found in the Victoria. The hotel used to cut up rough there a couple of years ago when the loyalist boozers moved to there but a bus load of Galway lads hospitalised a few tight men up to cause trouble. Seems things have quietened down since :)

Don't get to McKenna's that often these days so I'm sure the clientele isn't as good as it could be!

puskas

Quote from: armaghniac on September 01, 2009, 10:56:01 PM
Quote"a protestant city" an understandable - if mistaken - conclusion for a first-timer in Armagh

If Armagh city is such a Nationalist place why doesn't it have a competitive GAA club.  ???

hmmm. on the contrary, I can't think of any other mainly nationalist town/urban area in the North that has stronger more competitive clubs within their counties than the Ogs and the Harps, not to mention the Cuchullains.

help me out here Armaghniac, examples of leading competitive clubs within their counties from Newry, Derry, Dungannon, Omagh, Cookstown, Downpatrick, Enniskillen, Strabane? most of those towns bar Enniskillen, Lurgan maybe, struggle to have even one leading or competitive club never mind two plus a decent hurling club

armaghniac

True enough. slagging aside. Actually Armagh's success in GAA, such as it is, is partly based on a good level of GAA in the bigger towns, something our neighbours in Louth and Derry don't have (for instance).

Perhaps it will all be different by 9pm on Saturday!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B