Sen Edward Kennedy RIP

Started by magickingdom, August 26, 2009, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Epitome (of) Gobshitedness, all I did was correct an error, just as I did the other day on a football thread.   Eisenhower sent in military advisors.  In common parlance, that means military officials aka soldiers.

Correct, there were Australian (and South Korean) soldiers in Vietnam.  But why should  I want to complain?  What is the relevance of that comment?

Perhaps a little bit of humility is called for.  Among the cornered rats was King Rat aka EG!
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 27, 2009, 05:02:40 PM
They [Kennedys] will always be remembered fondly in Ireland
Correction: They will always be remembered fondly in parts of Ireland.

The arrogance and pointlessness of that post!

I was correct the first time.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Aerlik on August 28, 2009, 11:41:11 AM
Epitome (of) Gobshitedness, all I did was correct an error, just as I did the other day on a football thread.   Eisenhower sent in military advisors.  In common parlance, that means military officials aka soldiers.

Yes, technically I was wrong and you were right. But anyone reading the thread (including you) knows damned fine what I meant, which was why my original point (i.e. about JFK's role in Vietnam) still stands.

Quote from: Aerlik on August 28, 2009, 11:41:11 AM
Correct, there were Australian (and South Korean) soldiers in Vietnam.  But why should  I want to complain?  What is the relevance of that comment?
I have never detected any reticence on your part in holding me, "an ordinary Brit", accountable for the "sins" of the British Government.

Therefore I thought it appropriate to remind you of your own country's past policy on such matters - especially since I was born British, whereas you choose to be Australian, with Her Maj as your Head of State and all!  :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 27, 2009, 05:02:40 PM
They [Kennedys] will always be remembered fondly in Ireland
Correction: They will always be remembered fondly in parts of Ireland.

There isn't a county in Ireland where they are not fondly remembered. You yourself sound like an Andrew Jackson man, the US President with the closest links to Ireland, of fine Ulster Protestant stock. Remind us again of his views of the British?

Main Street

Could there be anything more predictable than those contributions of a bitter right wing unionist coming to a thread on the death of a Kennedy, who in his involvement in Irish politics would share and support the political ethos of a representative like John Hume.

Tyrones own

QuoteHe was tried and convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

*Shakes head*..... Is that what did, simply left the scene of an accident?

QuoteIn many interviews he stated that he thought of that event every day of his life.

Yes and I'm sure that knowing that has Warmed Mary Joe's Family every day of their lives since ::)

QuoteAny chance of Cheney ever seeing a trial?

Ah sure why stop there....Should Clinton be locked up also?

Ah the irony here with some of our southern counterparts shining light on the great mans efforts to bring about peace in the North....when truth be told, most of ye couldn't care less if we broke off in to the north Atlantic! but hey don't let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to sing the praises of a modern day hero to most here.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

and you'd crucify him for one mistake TO?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 28, 2009, 06:11:39 PM
QuoteHe was tried and convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

*Shakes head and wonders why prejudiced people can't read* It says he was convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

QuoteIn many interviews he stated that he thought of that event every day of his life.

Yes and I'm sure that knowing that has Warmed Mary Joe's Family every day of their lives since ::)
Pathetic comment. No doubt your deep concern for her family has nothing to do with your rabid anti-Democrat ideology.

Why? He didn't invade a country killing over 100,000 people based on a lie. But then Mary Joe isn't Iraqi is she?

Ah the irony here with some of our southern counterparts shining light on the great mans efforts to bring about peace in the North....when truth be told, most of ye couldn't care less if we broke off in to the north Atlantic! but hey don't let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to sing the praises of a modern day hero to most here.

You seem to have prioritised the politics of your new country over that of your homeland. Hence your inability to give any credit to Ted Kennedy. That says it all.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

QuoteQuote

He was tried and convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

*Shakes head and wonders why prejudiced people can't read* It says he was convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

Prejudiced :D  You went to the trouble to mention that he was tried and convicted of leaving the scene of the accident to which I asked a very straight forward question, obviously straight forward answers aren't your strong point!

Pathetic comment. No doubt your deep concern for her family has nothing to do with your rabid anti-Democrat ideology.

Pathetic response ::) My thoughts on Democratic ideology play no part in what is the real issue here, my amazement at how we're supposed to suddenly feel sorry for him because he thought about it every day... :'(

Why? He didn't invade a country killing over 100,000 people based on a lie. But then Mary Joe isn't Iraqi is she?

Care to mention the 4 or 5 hundred thousand Iraqi children that died as a result of the sanctions he imposed? but then Albright said it was a price worth paying :o
Does his instrumental backing of Milo mean anything to you?
You seem to have prioritised the politics of your new country over that of your homeland. Hence your inability to give any credit to Ted Kennedy. That says it all.

Such sanctimonious crap....Who are you again?

- Walter Lippmann

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 28, 2009, 11:23:01 PM
QuoteQuote

Prejudiced :D  You went to the trouble to mention that he was tried and convicted of leaving the scene of the accident to which I asked a very straight forward question, obviously straight forward answers aren't your strong point!

Pathetic response ::) My thoughts on Democratic ideology play no part in what is the real issue here, my amazement at how we're supposed to suddenly feel sorry for him because he thought about it every day... :'(

Care to mention the 4 or 5 hundred thousand Iraqi children that died as a result of the sanctions he imposed? but then Albright said it was a price worth paying :o

Sums it up perfectly IMO, well said.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

RedandGreenSniper

Evil Genuis your claim that Kennedy spent years agitating against Protestants in Northern Ireland are misleading. Kennedy's first public opinion on NI is listed below from Wikipedia and ties in with exactly what I am aware of from other literature. That is that he made a stupid comment in 1971 but soon became more informed on the troubles and aligned himself with John Hume thereafter. In fact he would describe the IRA as 'barbarians' before too long and he was key in the States for pushing some influential Irish-American backers away from the push for militant republicanism and towards constitutional reform. Can you imagine the funds the IRA could have received if this wasn't the case?
With regard to what he did in the 1990s he didn't contribute like some of the NI politicians did but he played a part. He played a part in Gerry Adams getting his US visa, something Adams said brought the IRA ceasefire forward by about six months.

Anyway here's the Wikipedia quote.

In October 1971, Kennedy made his first speech about The Troubles in Northern Ireland: he said that "Ulster is becoming Britain's Vietnam", demanded that British troops leave the northern counties, called for a united Ireland,[53] and declared that Protestants who could not accept this "should be given a decent opportunity to go back to Britain" (a position he backed away from within a couple of years).[54] Kennedy was harshly criticized by the British, and formed a long political relationship with Irish Social Democratic and Labour Party founder John Hume.[53

On Chappaquiddick it is the cloud that will hang over any legacy. There is no doubt that what he did was terrible and he was extremely lucky to avoid jail. The incident can't be forgotten. But it shouldn't dominate his legacy. He was an incredibly radical and effective politician. He got over 300 bills through Congress and was influential in a lot of conflict resolution world wide. He went to South Africa to visit Tutu against the wishes of the apartheid government in the mid 80s when it was extremely dangerous to do so.

Also, while Chappaquiddick is mentioned, why is it we so rarely hear sympathy for Kennedy on his own losses? Two brothers assassanated within five years. His eldest brother killed in WW2. An older sister killed in a plane crash in 1948. Another sister left with the mental ability of a two year old after a barbaric frontal lobotomy. That is some amount of devastation for a man.

The good certainly far outweighs the bad in my opinion.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

pintsofguinness

Also, while Chappaquiddick is mentioned, why is it we so rarely hear sympathy for Kennedy on his own losses? Two brothers assassanated within five years. His eldest brother killed in WW2. An older sister killed in a plane crash in 1948. Another sister left with the mental ability of a two year old after a barbaric frontal lobotomy. That is some amount of devastation for a man.
Plus the death of 3? nephews and his own son losing his leg at the age of 12.  and his last sister a couple of weeks ago. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 28, 2009, 11:23:01 PM
QuoteQuote

Why ask the question that a judge has already ruled on and convicted him of? Unless you, a Tyrone man who emigrated to the States, has some evidence which seems to me to be unlikely in the extreme. You have attacked every Democrat mentioned here since your arrival and predictably you attacked the deceased Ted Kennedy while shedding crocodile tears over 'Mary Joe'. It is particularly pathetic that you couldn't hold your tongue on a tribute thread.

you are the one who feigned such deep concern for Mary Joe's family. If your concern wasn't ideological what else have you done for them? Or is throwing mud on a coffin how you show concern?

US Sanctions meant Hussain killed them. US bombs meant Cheney killed them. See?

[/quote] Not as sanctimonious as your 3000 mile observation that southerners wouldn't care if NI never existed. Ted Kennedy did a hell of a lot for Ireland, but because you cheer for Republicans in the States your homeland is irrelevent. Bravo.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

QuoteWhy ask the question
Why not answer it  :D... it was directed at you, I was leaving the questionable wrist slapping non-decision of the judge aside for the moment.
In acknowledging the fact that he was tried and convicted of leaving the scene of the accident... so very slowly for the third time
and yes this is directed at you is that what he's guilty of in your eyes, leaving the scene of an accident ???
QuoteYou have attacked every Democrat mentioned here since your arrival
Wha...... :D quite the contrare... sure I'm immediately fair game with play ground bully tactics for having an opinion and highlighting the blatant hypocrisy from the little lefties here,
it's a good job I'm up for it being from the left coast an all....lots of practice :-*
QuoteIt is particularly pathetic that you couldn't hold your tongue on a tribute thread.
Were you as outspoken of the left's shameless Vile towards Tony Snow even before he died, as he Failed in his fight with Colon cancer...
I think not, selective amnesia is rife amongst you Liberals at times like these!
Quoteyou are the one who feigned such deep concern for Mary Joe's family. If your concern wasn't ideological what else have you done for them? Or is throwing mud on a coffin how you show concern?
Again; My thoughts on Democratic ideology play no part in what is the real issue here, my amazement at how we're supposed to suddenly feel sorry for him because he thought about it every day... :'( yes it's cut and pasted from above cause you clearly didn't read it the first time around ::)
QuoteUS Sanctions meant Hussain killed them.
Ah yes and so even if I were to agree with you on this, surely in you Liberal compassionate bleeding heart of hearts that would have been reason
enough to go in and take him without relying on the Lie , you know the one.... that in going off the same intelligence report Bush was one of many many top brass from both sides
of the isle that agreed he had to be taken out ::) so do I take from your logic then that the sanctions imposed by Clinton were a success?
QuoteUS bombs meant Cheney killed them. See?
:D at least it's a break from the Ever faithful W bashing around here...good lad!
QuoteDoes his instrumental backing of Milo mean anything to you?
In letting you mouth run a little too fast for your mind, you accidentally slipped over this one.
QuoteNot as sanctimonious as your 3000 mile observation that southerners wouldn't care if NI never existed.
Simply payed attention to the general thinking around here when the conversation has arisen...unlike yourself muppet
who by all accounts doesn't feel the need to, sure you already know all there is to know about everything ::)
Have you ever actually been wrong about anything?? I think this last sentence say's all that needs to be said in trying to
find reason with someone like you!

**Liberalism is indeed a mental disorder**

Oh and for the 15th time, I'm not a republican... how uninformed and embarrassing is that anyone who doesn't go along with the
Hypocritical Liberal mindset must be a Republican.... ye see that's simply one example of how you're not as smart as you make yourself out to be ;D

- Walter Lippmann