Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 24, 2009, 11:01:18 AM
two harsh bookings - never a sending off.

Agreed, I thought the first one was a slip, and the second one I don't even think he knew he was going to clip Mulligan. However, the speed it happened at made Mulligan fall fairly heavily, because he was off balance. I think the panel on RTE were wrong to suggest Mulligan made a meal out of it, but I'm not actually sure it was even a free.

Billys Boots

Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2009, 11:04:03 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 24, 2009, 10:56:45 AM
QuoteDo umpires at inter-county level have to be qualified referees?

That one yesterday is an inter-county referee - as far as I know he has refereed an AI minor final.

QuoteNot taking anything away from Cork but Bannon's display yesterday was the worst I've ever witnessed by a referee.

Come on lads, a bit of balance in your disappointment - it could have been Gerry Kinneavy.

Linesmen need to be given more powers and umpires need to be referees. We need to seperate the club and county game on this and stop worrying about the impact on a local junior d football match.
And it needs to be brought in now. Referees need help. 

Agreed 100%
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

JMohan

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on August 24, 2009, 10:49:29 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 23, 2009, 09:20:46 PM
It was a dig surely.

It was surely, but I'm glad he didn't walk. It was a very entertaining sequence though.

Bannon turned round just as McGuigan was falling to the ground not six yards away. You could see Bannon was frozen in indecision. He was sh*tting himself. He hadn't seen what happened but knew something had. Had Miskella struck McGuigan? Was McGuigan play acting? Did McGuigan do something to provoke Miskella? He thought it would be better just to ignore the incident (including the possible injury to McGuigan!) and play on. He didn't seek out advice from his linesmen or umpires - he didn't want to know! But then that feckin umpire just wouldn't give up - he was determined to give Bannon his interpretation from 70yds away. Bannon had the longest jog down to that umpire and he wasn't in the greatest hurry to get there. He knew what he was going to be told would mean that he would have to sanction (at least) Miskella over something he didn't see himself and that he would never be able to set foot in Cork again. It was a yellow from when he started to jog.

OK, here's the thing, I thought Bannon was dreadful yesterday, but I had some sympathy for him on this call. He didn't see the incident (through no faullt of his own) but was going to have to rely on the judgement of a feckin umpire 70yds away. These are the guys who week in week out can't get decisions on points, goals and 45s right (and I mean at inter-county level when they are trying their best). The umpire obviously didn't see McGuigan's sly dig (Bannon's worst fear) or he would have been booked as well. A yellow card was the wrong decision in law but justice was served. Do umpires at inter-county level have to be qualified referees? Are they still appointed by the match referee?

The funniest bit was the close up of the exchanges between Miskella and McGuigan after the yellow card. Miskella was giving McGuigan dogs abuse for feigning or exaggerating the injury. He was clearly the aggrieved party while McGuigan's demeanour was of a man on the back foot protesting his innocence. He even helpfully pointed out to Miskella where on the back of his head it was really quite sore  :D McGuigan's face was a picture.

It looked to me like McGuigan's sly dig was designed to provoke the reaction it did and Miskella was stupid to bite. I don't know McGuigan, but would that be his form or is McMenaminitus contagious?

Exactly as it happened

blanketattack

I think the first yellow was merited. Lots of people are saying that it wasn't a yellow because he slipped or because it was unintentional but what difference does that make? If that was the case, players could "accidentally" slip into other players all the time knowing that they're safe from getting a yellow card. It's similar to soccer, going for a sliding tackle and at the last second the opposing player whips the ball away and you catch him. The fact that it was unintentional or that you slipped doesn't save you from a yellow card there and shouldn't either in football.

supersarsfields

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 23, 2009, 05:00:52 PM
Can anyone honestly say they are in anyway surprised to see Tyrone diving and cheating???

Why am I not surprised to see you rubbing your hands at this. Do you honestly think it was a dive by Mugsy or as usual are you just coming on to have a poke at Tyrone? I don't seem to remember you being so forthcoming with your disgust at some of the tackles that were put in by Dublin in their last game? But that's not your style is it.

Hardy

Quote from: blanketattack on August 24, 2009, 11:32:06 AM
I think the first yellow was merited. Lots of people are saying that it wasn't a yellow because he slipped or because it was unintentional but what difference does that make? If that was the case, players could "accidentally" slip into other players all the time knowing that they're safe from getting a yellow card. It's similar to soccer, going for a sliding tackle and at the last second the opposing player whips the ball away and you catch him. The fact that it was unintentional or that you slipped doesn't save you from a yellow card there and shouldn't either in football.

I think you're starting from a bad place if you're holding up soccer as an example and as something to emulate. Have you not noticed how soccer has become unwatchable because of the complete elimination of physical contact, leading to continual diving to simulate it?

You can't be sending people off in a physical contact sport for slipping or for accidental contact.

thewobbler

QuoteI think you're starting from a bad place if you're holding up soccer as an example and as something to emulate.
I agree entirely Hardy.

But in my opinion O'Connor did what he could to prevent McGinley's run despite slipping, and not as a result of slipping. The slip meant he had no legal way of stopping McGinley. Which is why it was a bonafide yellow card.

Hardy

You said that last night. I'm amazed you still think it after sleeping on it!  :P

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on August 23, 2009, 09:07:05 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 23, 2009, 08:11:40 PM
Surprised at the abuse Mugsy is getting here. I thought he was blameless for the second yellow.

Quote from: passedit on August 23, 2009, 08:03:22 PM
Canty shudda walked as well.

Canty knew, as did the rest of Cork, (and indeed all seasoned observers of Mr Bannon) that there wasn't a chance in hell of a second red being issued.

Canty and Miskella can't complain if they miss the final, but with the Wig that is unlikely.

I hope they all take their place in the final. From where I was sitting Miskella slapped Mc Guigan and given Brian's past eye trouble I don't think his reaction was designed to get Miskella sent off.

This is a fair enough point.
MWWSI 2017

botman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2009, 11:07:22 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 24, 2009, 11:01:18 AM
two harsh bookings - never a sending off.

Agreed, I thought the first one was a slip, and the second one I don't even think he knew he was going to clip Mulligan. However, the speed it happened at made Mulligan fall fairly heavily, because he was off balance. I think the panel on RTE were wrong to suggest Mulligan made a meal out of it, but I'm not actually sure it was even a free.

Best assessment yet of the two incidents.
Keep them at it.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on August 24, 2009, 11:53:31 AM
QuoteI think you're starting from a bad place if you're holding up soccer as an example and as something to emulate.
I agree entirely Hardy.

But in my opinion O'Connor did what he could to prevent McGinley's run despite slipping, and not as a result of slipping. The slip meant he had no legal way of stopping McGinley. Which is why it was a bonafide yellow card.

If you accept that he slipped then you must accept that it was accidental.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

QuoteIf you accept that he slipped then you must accept that it was accidental.
The slip was accidental. Kneeing McGinley in the thigh wasn't. O'Connor's leg was moving towards the ground but he pulled it back up at the most opportune moment. It's not that hard to see this surely.

I'd have done the same myself, as would anyone. And I'd have protested my innocence too, as anyone would.

I can't prove O'Connor deliberately stopped him any more than any of you folks can be sure of his innocence.

Though as I said earlier in this thread, if you don't address these incidents with a firmer punishment than normal, then you're leaving the whole "it was an accident guv'nor" thing open to abuse from the less friendly participants in our games.

BennyHarp

Alan o connor knew exactly what he was doing in both incidents and went to take out the man and in my it is very naive to think otherwise! As a tyrone man i appreciate that tyrone have been guilty of this tactic on many occassions over the years and whilst i'm not condoning the actions, if you get away with it then fair enough -  but if you get caught twice accept your punishment like a man!!
That was never a square ball!!

stephenite

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 24, 2009, 12:17:32 PM
Alan o connor knew exactly what he was doing in both incidents and went to take out the man

Just watched it now - and I think that's rubbish

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2009, 11:40:21 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 24, 2009, 11:32:06 AM

I think you're starting from a bad place if you're holding up soccer as an example and as something to emulate. Have you not noticed how soccer has become unwatchable because of the complete elimination of physical contact, leading to continual diving to simulate it?

You can't be sending people off in a physical contact sport for slipping or for accidental contact.
agreed.
I dont think OConnor had premeditated 'taking out' of players when he firstly lost his footing and therefore couldnt control where he was going and secondly was running towards Mulligan and the aorbourne blonde bombshell and he couldnt get out of each others way.

also I dont think there was too much 'diving'.
Mulligan and Dooher imo were held/pulled which while a tad soft, IS a foule in the rulebook. Just a lot of refs are inconsistent in whether they blow for itor not.
OK Mulligan may have not tried to stop himself from falling but its not as if it was a dive with not contact made.

Canty did go in rather hard and akwardly. Dunno if he meant to go in with knees into the back.
I htink he is a very hard and tough player, but I dont recall ever seeing him play out and out dirty before.
So I wouldnt think he completely meant to do so. He could have slipped/lost balance.
If not I wouldnt get too worked up about it. I think anyone on here that knows my thoughts on CHB play means that I like that Liam Harnan approach.
Canty is way off Harnan levels.

All this whinging about how OConnor should have goten sent off etc . This is why people complain that some are trying to turn Gaelic football into a similar sanitised boring socccer type scenario.
Its a mans game FFS. You hit and get hit. You get caught and yer off. Accidents happen. Teams win and teams lose.
Fcuk it was an enjoyable spectacle yesterday and I wouldnt change a bit of it.
Tyrone were great 2008 champions, fair play to Cork and I hope they win it.