Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

O Connor got 2 yellows and he was running about like a bullock needing balling after he got the first yellow -  He wouldnt have lasted the half anyhow and was more than likely the reason why Canty and the half back got staying on in the second half.  At half time I was more concerned about the sending offs psychological effect on the refereeing of the game rather than the 5 point lead.  Now I still believe both fouls were effectively yellow card offences  but for them both to contribute to a sending off was a little but only a little harsh, a final warning black book would have sufficed, had he given an apology to Mulligan.  If its any consolation if Pat Dalys new rules of Gaelic football had came in 5 Cork men and 2 Tyrone men would have been lined yesterday and O Connor would have been gone on the first yellow. 

Main Street

Quote from: rrhf on August 24, 2009, 04:30:01 PM
O Connor got 2 yellows and he was running about like a bullock needing balling after he got the first yellow -
I wasn't at the game, on tv it did look as if he was a serious case of accidental reckless endangerment.

I thought Spillane's ranting and raving about Mulligan supposed cheating for the second yellow incident were a disgrace.
Somehow it pees me off no end when the pundits single out a player and hammer him because they are on a mission from God in the pundits chair. In the last game some Mayo player got loudly slagged off in a very sly and vicious manner.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2009, 04:21:02 PM
Quotefirst one defo yellow and the second one was a bit harsh but i've seen lads getting yellow for less.

Not a chance.

Quotein real time the first tackle was reckless and high. he caught McGinley around the thigh. Also when he slipped he still manged to take him out thus stopping him. while there is no professional foul it was still yellow.

High? How could it have been high unless the intent was to tackle below the knee? He slipped and fell backwards at speed and as a result his legs went upwards, obeying the laws of physics, and therefore there was no intent. The slipping doesn't mean it wasn't a foul as McGinley was stopped illegally but it does mean a yellow shouldn't have been issued.

Quotesecond one was harsh. Mugsy released the ball and O'Connor came down like Peter schmeichel missed the man and ball. so was it a dangerous challenge (you dont have to make contact) or as Mugsy went past him he definitely caught him on the knee. did Mugsy make a big deal outta it? yeah he did but referee made the decision and he went. two yellows.

Harsh? It was a joke, minimal contact and no intent. I mean if he had blocked the ball and his momentum carried him into Mulligan would it still have been a booking?

I don't agree on the first one. Its easy to be knowlegable with the benefit of slow motion. i can gurantee you anyone who says the first wasn't a yellow would have given a yellow for the first incident in real time. Some people seem to think refs are issued with X Ray specs prior to a game. Try referreing a ghame sometime lads and see how hard it is. PLaying is a doddle in comparison.

rrhf

Spillane is the silliest thing I ever seen on TV.  His comments this week mark him a tr**p in many peoples eyes which to me is unfortunate as he was such a top player.

longrunsthefox

He was like a few kerry boys on this board biding his time till Tyrone lost ready to go into that speel. A few weeks ago he was raving about Tyrone-'total football.'  He's a total idiot and as hurt by the three defeats as his fellow county men. Get over it-you couldn't  beat Tyrone... end of.   

Zulu

QuoteI don't agree on the first one. Its easy to be knowlegable with the benefit of slow motion. i can gurantee you anyone who says the first wasn't a yellow would have given a yellow for the first incident in real time.

I was at the game Indiana and I called it as a slip at the time so I would have expected Bannon to see it as that also. But as I said if he had a poor view or just missed the slip that's fair enough, he should have seen it but I've no real problem with him on that one as it was a tough call.

QuoteTry referreing a ghame sometime lads and see how hard it is. PLaying is a doddle in comparison.

I have reffed and it is tough but many refs get too many things wrong.

Main Street

I think a good ref could have seen the first offense as a yellow.
It should be accepted that a good ref can make an honest mistake.
Generally I try to be understanding of the refs job.
I make an exception in the case of Bannon.
He is not a good ref.
He marred that game with his presence.

Hardy

I think the problem is that the refs have it the wrong way around and are giving the benefit of the doubt to the perceived victim rather than to the perceived fouler. If they see a player going down they assume he has been fouled, rather than assuming the opposite unless they actually SEE the foul and are CERTAIN it was a foul. As I keep saying, it's a physical contact game and you should expect that players will be making contact and falling over at a fair rate. You mustn't assume that somebody has been fouled every time it happens.

A good example is the free Dooher got near the end line yesterday. As it happens he had his jersey pulled a few steps before the foul but the referee didn't see that (couldn't blame him for that as it was on the opposite side from the ref) and he got no free for that. But he knew he'd have a good chance of getting the free anyway just by falling, which is what he did, whereupon the ref blew the whistle. He cannot have seen a Cork player foul him or explain what the foul was, because there was none. So what was the free for? Benefit of the doubt given the wrong way, is the only explanation.

Likewise, I strongly believe referees should be instructed that yellow cards cannot be issued unless there is clear intent. It's not difficult to differentiate between an accident, an intentional hit and an intentional hit disguised as an accident. We have seen a number of unjust yellow cards issued this year for fouls that were clearly accidents. In addition to yesterday's incidents I can remember a number of clearly accidental heel clips where the player was booked when there wasn't even a doubt - there was clearly no intent to foul. The fact that players can be carded for something like that is probably the biggest encouragement that exists for the biggest evil in the game - diving. Sadly, it's typical of our administrators, referees and pundits that that's the one thing they don't seem to give a damn about.

milltown row

Zulu i'm a referee at both codes have done it for past two years. i'll call it like i seen it first time sitting on the sofa yesterday. yellow card, also would have given your man a red card for punching McGuigan, this is what galls me, the umpire waved for his attention calls him down and must have said he threw a punch. red card no mistake. did Bannon not apply the rules there? i think so.

i'm from Antrim so could not care who won yesterday. in fact had a few pound on Cork at 13/8

oh Zulu refereeing kids games when the referee don't turn up isn't the same ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Watched the game with the uncle and the old lad (who used to referee) and we all thought the first tackle was a nailed on yellow card on first viewing. Only on slow motion replays could you see that he slipped going into the tackle. So I don't really blame Bannon too much for that one despite his dreadful performance in general.

Zulu

Quoteoh Zulu refereeing kids games when the referee don't turn up isn't the same

:D :D

Quotecall it like i seen it first time sitting on the sofa yesterday. yellow card

I'd have to disagree, I've just watched on the TV there and one first viewing it did look like a yellow but at teh match I could see he clearly slipped and I thought a free was the only proper sanction.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2009, 05:45:02 PM
I think the problem is that the refs have it the wrong way around and are giving the benefit of the doubt to the perceived victim rather than to the perceived fouler. If they see a player going down they assume he has been fouled, rather than assuming the opposite unless they actually SEE the foul and are CERTAIN it was a foul.

In fairness, I thought Bannon copped onto to a fair bit of the playacting, espec in the latter part of the game.

tyssam5

Why is this a 9 page debate. Big clumsy-looking fella goes storming into one tackle loses his balance gets the book, doesn't calm down a bit and the same happens to him a few minutes later, don't we see it every week at club games?

Sure the second one was unlucky, but he could nearly blame himself as much as blaming Bannon, when you're on a yellow you don't give the ref the chance to give you another. Mulligan was the innocent party despite the eejit Spillane's comments, hard job to keep your balance when you're in the air and are clipped by 6'5" man?

He was unlucky but he was also a bit late and ran into a ref without a pile of sense.

Zulu

Quotewhen you're on a yellow you don't give the ref the chance to give you another

You should only get a yellow when you've committed a bookable offence and whatever about the first one the second one was in no way justified. Players shouldn't have to wory about picking up a yellow when they are legitimately trying to play the game.

tyssam5

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2009, 07:23:26 PM
Quotewhen you're on a yellow you don't give the ref the chance to give you another

You should only get a yellow when you've committed a bookable offence and whatever about the first one the second one was in no way justified. Players shouldn't have to wory about picking up a yellow when they are legitimately trying to play the game.

Big clumsy players should. He clipped a man who had already laid off the ball and you will often get a yellow for that, though seldom a second.