Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: mournerambler on August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM
Another piece of Tyrone diving which could cost Cork an All-Ireland title, a total injustice in my opinion.

He will never be banned he is from Cork and they have some notable experts in the dark arts of the DRA and the CCC and the KGB down south.

David McKeown

Whilst I would say I have long thought Bannon to be the worst inter county referee in the country, whilst at the game today I had no complaints about the sending off.  The first foul from where I was, looked like O'Connor was going in with the arm to pull McGinley down and then slipped whilst the second one looked like he caught Mulligan after he had played the ball which is an offence for which you would often see a booking.  Havent seen the replays now I think both are probably technically yellow card offences but it was harsh.

The rumour I was hearing from a few sources last week was that this was to be Paudie Hughes year for an All Ireland final as long as there were no Ulster teams involved
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: David McKeown on August 23, 2009, 11:05:19 PM
Whilst I would say I have long thought Bannon to be the worst inter county referee in the country, whilst at the game today I had no complaints about the sending off.  The first foul from where I was, looked like O'Connor was going in with the arm to pull McGinley down and then slipped whilst the second one looked like he caught Mulligan after he had played the ball which is an offence for which you would often see a booking.  Havent seen the replays now I think both are probably technically yellow card offences but it was harsh.

Think Bannon has excuses for the first yellow which was probably justified or at least looked very like a yellow on first viewing (which is all the ref has, as the cliche goes). The second yellow was a bad decision, a mistake. We all make them in life. While refereeing, JOhn Bannon makes more than most.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

rocco

Quote from: orangeman on August 23, 2009, 10:48:54 PM
Very harsh sending off. Bannon had a bad day - could be his last. What age is he ?

Mc Eneaney a shoe in for the final ?
bannon has a bad day every day he goes out,he is the worst ref at that level, how he gets games a that level is hard to understand.

JMohan

Very harsh sending off. Bannon had a bad day - could be his last. What age is he ?

It happens every time he picks up a whistle

He's a running disaster

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: orangeman on August 23, 2009, 09:07:05 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 23, 2009, 08:11:40 PM
Surprised at the abuse Mugsy is getting here. I thought he was blameless for the second yellow.

Quote from: passedit on August 23, 2009, 08:03:22 PM
Canty shudda walked as well.

Canty knew, as did the rest of Cork, (and indeed all seasoned observers of Mr Bannon) that there wasn't a chance in hell of a second red being issued.

Canty and Miskella can't complain if they miss the final, but with the Wig that is unlikely.

I hope they all take their place in the final. From where I was sitting Miskella slapped Mc Guigan and given Brian's past eye trouble I don't think his reaction was designed to get Miskella sent off.

Just to add some balance.. Hub slapped (possibly Murphy) in the first half also...

RMDrive

I've heard he was planning to retire from IC this year.

Billys Boots

I dunno lads, a lot of sour grapes here.

Firstly, the referee didn't influence the result of the game - Cork were the better side on the day.

Secondly, I thought the sending off was harsh - it's not the first or last time there'll be a harsh sending-off.  It changed the way the game was being played, but hardly the result.  Cork were in complete control and cruising to victory; they decided to crush the life out of the game and give the impetus to Tyrone to come back if they were capable.  They weren't. 

Thirdly, from the outset Martin Carney decided that he was going to criticise Bannon at will.  The first free against Gormley (within 15 seconds of the start) was correct, he stopped the ball on the ground with his hand.  The replay showed him picking the ball correctly off the ground, and Carney was off.  He went on (aided by Idiot Canning) to 'highlight' another 'mistaken' free for a pick-up (by McMahon, I think) which to me was a clear foul.  Banning did have a poor enough game, but when the commentary team are going on like that, it highlights an irrelevancy. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't rate Bannon highly, but he's no better and no worse than McEneaney.  The Ulster teams like McEneaney because he 'understands' Ulster football; he's not particularly loved anywhere outside Ulster.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

JMohan

That's absolute bollox - I've not heard one ounce of sour grapes from a Tyrone person - here or anywhere.

McEneaney understands men and understands that football is a game played by people and not robots.
In other words - he'd have warned O'Connor as he'd have known it wasn't intentional and let him get on with it - that's it - nothing more.
He also lets the game run which is important and manages to keep his ego in check.

But most of all for me he just understands it's a man's game in my opinion.

orangeman

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 24, 2009, 09:38:51 AM
I dunno lads, a lot of sour grapes here.

Firstly, the referee didn't influence the result of the game - Cork were the better side on the day.

Secondly, I thought the sending off was harsh - it's not the first or last time there'll be a harsh sending-off.  It changed the way the game was being played, but hardly the result.  Cork were in complete control and cruising to victory; they decided to crush the life out of the game and give the impetus to Tyrone to come back if they were capable.  They weren't. 

Thirdly, from the outset Martin Carney decided that he was going to criticise Bannon at will.  The first free against Gormley (within 15 seconds of the start) was correct, he stopped the ball on the ground with his hand.  The replay showed him picking the ball correctly off the ground, and Carney was off.  He went on (aided by Idiot Canning) to 'highlight' another 'mistaken' free for a pick-up (by McMahon, I think) which to me was a clear foul.  Banning did have a poor enough game, but when the commentary team are going on like that, it highlights an irrelevancy. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't rate Bannon highly, but he's no better and no worse than McEneaney.  The Ulster teams like McEneaney because he 'understands' Ulster football; he's not particularly loved anywhere outside Ulster.

Hello !!!!! Are you having a laugh ? Bannon is no better or no worse than Mc Eneaney ?

Billys Boots

QuoteThat's absolute bollox - I've not heard one ounce of sour grapes from a Tyrone person - here or anywhere.

What, in particular, do you think is 'absolute bollox'?

Do you disagree that the referee had no effect on the final outcome?  Are you outraged that not everyone worships at the McEneaney altar?  Give us a clue.  How is McEneaney more manly than Bannon?

And here was me thinking that women were allowed to play football too, in this progressive new Gaaworld. 

clarshack

o'connor slid in and took out mcginley which was a yellow card. in the second incident there was slight contact but it wasnt a yellow - it was harsh. miskella should have walked though for striking brian mcguigan. i didnt see canty incident - what did he do?

JMohan

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 24, 2009, 09:59:28 AM
QuoteThat's absolute bollox - I've not heard one ounce of sour grapes from a Tyrone person - here or anywhere.

What, in particular, do you think is 'absolute bollox'?

Do you disagree that the referee had no effect on the final outcome?  Are you outraged that not everyone worships at the McEneaney altar?  Give us a clue.  How is McEneaney more manly than Bannon?

And here was me thinking that women were allowed to play football too, in this progressive new Gaaworld.

You said it's sour grapes - not an ounce

Billys Boots

If the referee didn't influence the game, why else would the Tyronites be highlighting this irrelevant aspect, other than it being sour grapes, or deflecting from the fact that they were outclassed?

AZOffaly

They're probably annoyed because instead of being the team of the decade, they are now merely the bogey team of the team of the decade.

:D