Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2009, 06:18:39 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 23, 2009, 06:02:08 PM
QuoteHis two legs went from under him and ended up in the path of the runner who fell over them.
Oh wise up. How the hell is it possible to collapse backwards unless your body is moving backwards at the time? Try it and see.

It was more roundhouse kick than innocent fall.

Good lord.
Are you serious?
We need a biomechanics lecturer here now!

muppet

QuoteHis two legs went from under him and ended up in the path of the runner who fell over them.
Oh wise up. How the hell is it possible to collapse backwards unless your body is moving backwards at the time? Try it and see.

If you are running forward and you plant your feet (e.g. for a shoulder) and they both slip from under you , you will fall on your back. that is pretty much what happened and yes I had to watch the replay numerous times to see that.

MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Sorry wobbler - we seem to have two different concepts of the game. I expect every player to go full-blooded into every tackle and he shouldn't have to worry about any incidental contact, however crushing or spectacular-looking if he plays the ball in the tackle. It's the tendency that you seem to be supporting that's ruining the game as a spectacle, in my opinion, encouraging diving in the process and leading to the spectacle of players contorting their bodies and holding their hands up to prevent making any contact. Not gaelic football, in my opinion.

Your clothesline question - same answer. The thing is that most clotheslines are fouls because the player has no chance of playing the ball. So in most cases, the yellow card is deserved for the clothesline. The referee must still judge intent, but given the danger with neck injuries, I see the sense in erring on the side of caution and interpreting it that the tackle attempt shouldn't have been made given that the ball wasn't there to be played.

pintsofguinness

:o
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 23, 2009, 06:28:53 PM

:o

We should rename this thread 'Chuck Norris sending off'.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: Hardy on August 23, 2009, 06:27:16 PM
Sorry wobbler - we seem to have two different concepts of the game. I expect every player to go full-blooded into every tackle and he shouldn't have to worry about any incidental contact, however crushing or spectacular-looking if he plays the ball in the tackle. It's the tendency that you seem to be supporting that's ruining the game as a spectacle, in my opinion, encouraging diving in the process and leading to the spectacle of players contorting their bodies and holding their hands up to prevent making any contact. Not gaelic football, in my opinion.

Your clothesline question - same answer. The thing is that most clotheslines are fouls because the player has no chance of playing the ball. So in most cases, the yellow card is deserved for the clothesline. The referee must still judge intent, but given the danger with neck injuries, I see the sense in erring on the side of caution and interpreting it that the tackle attempt shouldn't have been made given that the ball wasn't there to be played.

I disagree in real time it looked like he led with his feet on the first incident. So the ref deserves the benefit on that incident. I'd have given a yellow personally. The other obviously not.

thewobbler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEgK0UOfnk

About 1.30 in.

He went in, lost balance, but kept his momentum going to ensure he stopped the man. That's a deliberate foul, taken in the knowledge that he couldn't win the ball.

If that's not a yellow card (and a dangerous act), then you fellas must be made of steel and have stones the size of footballs.

Hardy

How do you keep your momentum going when you're not on your feet? What control do you have over your momentum in that situation?

INDIANA

Quote from: Hardy on August 23, 2009, 06:44:19 PM
How do you keep your momentum going when you're not on your feet? What control do you have over your momentum in that situation?

How is the ref supposed to see that? Its obvious here there are a lot of people who have never refed a game.

thewobbler

Hardy, looked at the slowed down version. He raised his knee into the impact, to ensure McGinley got stopped. Deliberately so in my opinion.

Hardy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2009, 06:46:01 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 23, 2009, 06:44:19 PM

How is the ref supposed to see that? Its obvious here there are a lot of people who have never refed a game.

Am I not allowed to respond to a point? Wobbler said he kept his momentum going. I disputed whether that's possible. We weren't talking about the referee. I note and am impressed by your hint that you're an experienced referee. :)

Hardy

Quote from: thewobbler on August 23, 2009, 06:47:40 PM
Hardy, looked at the slowed down version. He raised his knee into the impact, to ensure McGinley got stopped. Deliberately so in my opinion.

Which is it? He raised his knee or he kept his momentum going?  :P

thewobbler

O'Connor stopped in an opponent in an unfair manner when he'd no chance of dispossessing him. The force of the collision could have been controlled better, but from what I can see, he chose to exercise force instead of control.

How or why he ended up in a position to do this is irrelevant. Slipping into someone is unfortunate. Slipping into someone and connecting your knee with their thigh normally takes a bit of skill.

And I think if you watch that replay a few times you might end up agreeing here.

Hardy

Quote from: thewobbler on August 23, 2009, 06:56:09 PM
The force of the collision could have been controlled better, but from what I can see, he chose to exercise force instead of control.

What? ? ? How?

thewobbler

You are winding me up now you westmeath bollix.

O'Connor's knee was heading south throughout the slide, but it managed to jerk up just at the most opportune moment.

People have been hanged on less evidence.