Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

Quote from: JMohan on August 23, 2009, 05:42:13 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 23, 2009, 05:40:05 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 23, 2009, 05:32:52 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 23, 2009, 05:00:52 PM
Can anyone honestly say they are in anyway surprised to see Tyrone diving and cheating???
Wise up
Bitterness doesn't suit you

So you can't say that it is a surprise yourself...
He went down, but didn't dive

;D ;D ;D maybe you ought to take another look at it!

thewobbler

QuoteAbsolutely not, wobbler. Yellow cards should only be given (a) when the referee is CERTAIN that he's seen a foul and (b) when he has no doubt about intent. A slip, like O'Connor's that carries him into collision with the opponent is a foul, regardless of intent but in natural justice cannot be punished with a yellow card as it's clear it was a complete accident.

Can't have this at all Hardy. I'd guess that most clothesline tackles are accidents; the recipient ducking at the last split second or the the offender just miscalculating a little. I've done a few accidental myself. There is no way for a referee to judge if these are accidental or not, so the only way we have to stop defenders leaving themselves in this position (and possibly leaving someone in hospital), is to make the offence a graver one than normal.

Similarly with O'Connor's tackles today - yeah he night have slipped, but for someone's body to end up in that position, they need a fair bit of aggressive intent in the first place. I can't even think of a term to describe his tackle as I've seen the style of it so rarely.

Hardy

I can't have that either, wobbler.  You say,"for someone's body to end up in that position, they need a fair bit of aggressive intent". Are players supposed to tiptoe into tackles? Players should go into every tackle with aggressive intent and I don't want any player on my team that doesn't. Incidental contact in a fair attempt to tackle the ball should never be a yellow card. A yellow card is a warning. What is he warning him for? Running too fast into the tackle? Mistiming? Slipping? These are all either no fault or mistakes. Why should anyone be warned for a genuine mistake? We'll have netball if players can't accidentally bump into each other.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on August 23, 2009, 05:49:05 PM
QuoteAbsolutely not, wobbler. Yellow cards should only be given (a) when the referee is CERTAIN that he's seen a foul and (b) when he has no doubt about intent. A slip, like O'Connor's that carries him into collision with the opponent is a foul, regardless of intent but in natural justice cannot be punished with a yellow card as it's clear it was a complete accident.

Can't have this at all Hardy. I'd guess that most clothesline tackles are accidents; the recipient ducking at the last split second or the the offender just miscalculating a little. I've done a few accidental myself. There is no way for a referee to judge if these are accidental or not, so the only way we have to stop defenders leaving themselves in this position (and possibly leaving someone in hospital), is to make the offence a graver one than normal.

Similarly with O'Connor's tackles today - yeah he night have slipped, but for someone's body to end up in that position, they need a fair bit of aggressive intent in the first place. I can't even think of a term to describe his tackle as I've seen the style of it so rarely.

His two legs went from under him and ended up in the path of the runner who fell over them. Free yes, yellow, very harsh.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

The slip was only clear on TV replays (well to me anyway). At first I thought he took him out so I can understand why Bannon gave him a yellow. Don't have too much of a problem with that one. The second was the bizarre one.

Jinxy

Quote from: mournerambler on August 23, 2009, 05:45:42 PM
Can anyone honestly say they are in anyway surprised to see Tyrone diving and cheating???
Wise up

He didn't dive.
I've no love for Tyrone but I was annoyed at how Mulligan was blamed for the sending-off.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thewobbler

Hardy, his man was leaving him for dead whether he slipped or not. Hence he lunged into the tackle, hence he slipped, hence he made a horrible looking tackle. The intention was to stop by any means necessary, and he got the result he wanted.

We can't have men clipping each other by whatever means necessary every time they're left fairly behind, or else we'd be inventing a new game that would end up being won and lost in court.

What about my point on clotheslines? Or will you make selective exceptions to your theory?

thewobbler

QuoteHis two legs went from under him and ended up in the path of the runner who fell over them.
Oh wise up. How the hell is it possible to collapse backwards unless your body is moving backwards at the time? Try it and see.

It was more roundhouse kick than innocent fall.

Donnellys Hollow

I wouldn't say that Mulligan dived but he certainly made the most of minimal enough contact.

I'd have more of an issue with the first yellow - he clearly slipped on the turf and then McGinley's momentum carried him into Alan O'Connor. Very harsh IMO.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Maguire01

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2009, 05:57:19 PM
Quote from: mournerambler on August 23, 2009, 05:45:42 PM
Wise up

He didn't dive.
I've no love for Tyrone but I was annoyed at how Mulligan was blamed for the sending-off.
Agreed. The decision was 100% Bannon's fault.

JMohan

The funniest bit about the Miskella incident was Bannon turning round and seeing Brian McGuigan hitting the deck and then having to step over him to let play go on - and then having to stop it minutes later .... the man's a complete clown

Him and Kinneavy must be cousins

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2009, 05:55:30 PM

His two legs went from under him and ended up in the path of the runner who fell over them. Free yes, yellow, very harsh.

Spoken with the benefit of a slow motion replay. Be fair at least. In real time it was a yellow card- the 2nd one however was laughable.

JMohan

I would have - and I think 90% of referees would have - given a yellow for the first one as even though it was a mistake he flew in hard and it was somewhat dangerous

Second one was just Bannon being clueless

Jinxy

Quote from: thewobbler on August 23, 2009, 06:02:08 PM
QuoteHis two legs went from under him and ended up in the path of the runner who fell over them.
Oh wise up. How the hell is it possible to collapse backwards unless your body is moving backwards at the time? Try it and see.

It was more roundhouse kick than innocent fall.

Good lord.
Are you serious?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2009, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2009, 05:55:30 PM

Spoken with the benefit of a slow motion replay. Be fair at least. In real time it was a yellow card- the 2nd one however was laughable.

I accept that.
MWWSI 2017