Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

girt_giggler

podge

team for match v london

Antrim (SHC v London) - Ryan McGarry, Michael Kettle, Michael McCambridge, Sean Delargy, Neal McAuley, Johnny Campbell, Ciaran Herron, Brendan Herron, Karl McKeegan, Karl Stewart, Brian Delargy, Michael Herron, John McIntosh, Kieran Kelly, Paul Shields. Subs - Damien Quinn, Brian McFall, Malachy Molloy, Barney McAuley, Paddy Richmond, Barry McFall, Aaron Graffin, Colm Duffin, James McKeague, Simon McCrory, Paddy McGill, Sean Burke, Seamus McDonnell, Eddie McCloskey.

bit surprised at the inclusion of mickey kettle ahead of barney mc auley and brian delargy ahead of paddy richmond but there may traning issues here.  think mal molloy is truggling with injury.  don;t rate m herron at all.

imtommygunn

Would have a few reservations although hopefully will not matter given the opposition.

Brian Delargy struggles with Cushendall and in most of the big games I've seen him in he's been subbed as well as I think being dropped late for the county final. Don't get me wrong big strong fella with a good left side but very very slow for county level and even top club level. Kettle and McAuley could be training reasons - would have thought McAuley(Barney) was our most consistent player for the last while. Like Podge says I wouldn't rate Micko Herron either. Some people reckon he'd be a very good half back - maybe worth trying there. He would need to stop mouthing and acting the maggot though.

Good to see Tosh and Micky back and the rest of the balance of the team looks good. Hopefully Pinky will give us good presence in the FF line. With Molloy to come back could be a decent half back line too when all fit and good to see the younger McAuley getting a game - hopefully bring him on.

gallsman

Sean Burke & Eddie McCloskey on that panel? Gimme a break! Burkey is a footballer and is too soft for Senior Championship. Hate to say it about a clubmate, but it's true. I've marked Eddie McCloskey in my time, and while he's a decent enough hurler, he shouldn't be anywhere near that panel.

milltown row

Gallsman you're a bit harsh in your assessment of your club mate Burkey, yes there may be better stick men out there and players that have been on the panel longer and have more experience. But this is his first full year playing division one senior club hurling, and having watched and played along side him recently there has been a big improvement in his game. Sambo and Woody obviously see that the guy is a workhorse who does not stop, takes, and gives big tackles.

As it is he's not on the first team so no need for undue criticism, playing last night against Loughgiel down there he battled hard and scored points from midfield he's only 19 and in two or three years he will have developed into a good county hurler.

Some of the names not playing for the county are good hurlers but what do the managers do, do they pick hurlers on reputation or commitment?

girt_giggler

any report from the match last night milltown?

milltown row

Played in terrible conditions it was a keenly fought contest score line was 2 : 7 to       0 : 8 as usual we gave Loughgiel a 2 goal start but fought back to leave two points in it at the end of the first half. Loughgiel were missing Watson and McFadden as far as I'm aware we were missing a few as well but the lads that came in done well, second half the weather got worse but it was a fair result and I hope we are not too far away from them come championship time.

Loughgiel had at least 27 players warming up before match started with all sorts of drills and exercises, it looked a bit ominous for us but I was expecting more from them and I think we will take more from the game despite the defeat than Loughgiel.

gallsman

Quote from: milltown row on May 10, 2007, 08:48:15 AM
Gallsman you're a bit harsh in your assessment of your club mate Burkey, yes there may be better stick men out there and players that have been on the panel longer and have more experience. But this is his first full year playing division one senior club hurling, and having watched and played along side him recently there has been a big improvement in his game. Sambo and Woody obviously see that the guy is a workhorse who does not stop, takes, and gives big tackles.

As it is he's not on the first team so no need for undue criticism, playing last night against Loughgiel down there he battled hard and scored points from midfield he's only 19 and in two or three years he will have developed into a good county hurler.

Some of the names not playing for the county are good hurlers but what do the managers do, do they pick hurlers on reputation or commitment?

I fully accept this MR, but from what I remember of Burkey (and I was only the one year above him), and what I still saw even in the Ulster Minor Club Football, is that he is overly cocky, and tends to pick up needless cards against fellas who are considerably smaller than him. He always had something to say, but never really had anything to back it up with. How that will turn out at senior level I just don't know. But never, say never, hopefully he's grown up a bit and realised that he has far too much talent (at both codes) to be arsing around and trying to start rows.

milltown row

granted gallsman, he's commitment to the hurling team this year which is good, and he's just another player in a changing room full of strong charcters so all that stuff you leave behind when you start to mature.

anyway did Dunloy play Lamhs last night Max/skull? seems to be no score on the Antrim web site

maxpower

Strange oul team Sambo and Woody have named for Sunday's match.  If its true DD has dropped of the panel you seriously have to wonder whats going on.  Why was he dropped, does anyone know?  if it was because of committment issues then thats to be accepted, but i would be surprised if that was the case

alot of experienced players no longer involved with antrim and rumours that a 19 year old is being encourage to delay a neccessary operation in order to line out in an Ulster final, this from the outside doesn't look good for the two men in charge

Dunloy Lamh dearg match was abandoned due to a heavy fog, had to be done not much else ref could do.  i think we were winning 1-5 to 0-4 or something similar
What happens next????

podge

perhaps DD just left the panel as he was a bit disappointed with his form.  Why does everyone that is not on the panel have to be as consequence of S&W?

and who knows whether or not they are putting pressure on mc manus to delay the op.

deal with facts and not speculation.

The Insider

Quote from: maxpower on May 10, 2007, 12:10:46 PM
Strange oul team Sambo and Woody have named for Sunday's match.  If its true DD has dropped of the panel you seriously have to wonder whats going on.  Why was he dropped, does anyone know?  if it was because of committment issues then thats to be accepted, but i would be surprised if that was the case

alot of experienced players no longer involved with antrim and rumours that a 19 year old is being encourage to delay a neccessary operation in order to line out in an Ulster final, this from the outside doesn't look good for the two men in charge

Dunloy Lamh dearg match was abandoned due to a heavy fog, had to be done not much else ref could do.  i think we were winning 1-5 to 0-4 or something similar

Where do you get your information? Neil McManus was not encouraged to delay a necessary operation. This was a decision between Neil,his GP the team doctor and his surgeon and he has not been put at any risk by wanting to delay surgery to the end of the season. The managers had nothing to do with this. It's unbelievable some of the crap that comes on here.

davincicode

Was at a club meeting last night, i hear R Matthews the Referee allegedly struck a mentor from Sarsfields in the Ulster League at the weekend and put the head into another player, if we are supposedly trying to stamp things out of the game with players and mentors, now we have Referees doing it as well, does the CCC deal with these guys?

I don,t believe it myself, just mud slinging i would say. Keep it up Ray they are F O Sh**!

theskull1

Quote from: The Insider on May 11, 2007, 12:32:08 AM
The managers had nothing to do with this. It's unbelievable some of the crap that comes on here.

No worse than you hear in the street Insider so get off your high horse
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG

The skull, I see we have now got some of the casement band wagon trying to force feed us the party line. I thought we paid our administrators and paid officials to run the county not to be spouting off on web sites.

We know the panel is operating well a dog on the street could tell you that.