Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wino

Any other football all stars other than wee andy.

imtommygunn

Did Danny McNaughton get a replacement all star? Could be wrong but thought he got one in the 80s?

Would have been round the year we ran cork close. 87 / 88?

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 24, 2010, 10:44:07 PM
Did Danny McNaughton get a replacement all star? Could be wrong but thought he got one in the 80s?

Would have been round the year we ran cork close. 87 / 88?

Aye was 87 i think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fairhead

Antrims All Star roll of honour is:

1988 - Ciaran Barr
1989 - Dessie Donnelly and Clute
1991 - Sambo
1993 - Humpy

I know Dessie and Humpy were also replacements in other years and i think most of the rest of the replacements have been mentioned too; Niall Wheeler, Eddie Donnelly, Brian Donnelly and Danny McNaughton. I don't think Liam Watson will be adding his name to the roll of honour this year.

As for Sunday i think Loughgiel will fall again at the final hurdle. Aaron Graffin will have had 4 weeks of training done now and i guess Shane McNaughton will be fit. They were certainly missed for the full game against Ballycastle. With paddy McGill, chipping in with probably a few points and Karl mcKeegan up front too i just think they have a more proven forward line than Loughgiels.

Loughgiel did look quite impressive for me against Dunloy but how much of that was down to Dunloys poor showing on the day? Maybe some of the other Loughgiel forwards will step up and prove themselves on the biggest day but i just have a feeling Cushendall will get the better of them. 

wino

Anybody know the odds for the final? Or what bookies are offering them

Minder

Quote from: wino on September 25, 2010, 09:56:18 AM
Anybody know the odds for the final? Or what bookies are offering them

PP

Dall 4/6 Shamrocks 5/4

Ladbrokes

Dall 4/5 Shamrocks 11/10

wino

Who do you think should have got an all star but didn't - Aidan Mc carry is one

Baile an tuaigh

Paul Mc Killen had a great year in 1986 against John Fenton. Dessie was unbelievably slow for an all star. Had a great semi final in 89 against Offaly but got skinned in the final by Pat Fox. The all star selection had to give Antrim something for making the final. They actually over looked the best man we had that year in Aidan Mc Garry.

Will say this though a bout Dessie Donnelly, he got the best goal I ever seen in the 1991 semi against kilkenny. Over all since the back door Antrim won't get any all stars also if the back door was in in 1989 they wouldn't have made the final either. The best club team ever to come out of Antrim was Dunloy. I would say even better that Loughiel's famous 1983 team. They beat top class opposition on a regular basis before the Mc Mullans and Elliots etc all started to age.

Minder

My uncle reckoned the Ballycastle team of around '79 or '80 was the best club team that that he had seen come out of Antrim. They were beaten in an All Ireland Club final by Castlegar of Galway and all the Connolly brothers. I have to say though he wouldnt have seen much of Dunloy in the 90's.

clootfromthe21

Congrats to the Shamrocks - think they deserved it after all those lost finals. Good to see another name on the Volunteer Cup after all those years of Dunloy and Cushendall domination (not forgetting Rossa's welcome intervention)!

Minder

Cushendall will regret that one for a while, with the amount of bad wides they hit. 0-11 in their semi and 0-11 today on a perfect day for hurling shows where their problems are.

Milltown Row2

aye i have this feeling Cushendall maybe lost that match, if you check the stats tomorrow you'll find that Loughgiel won on frees!!

but fair play, after 21 years then thats that. I'm sure Dunloy and the Dall will be back
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fairhead

Things could get messy around here for a while  ::)

Milltown Row2

Fairhead, what happened to that young lad from Carey? our reserve game called off due to his un timely death.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile an tuaigh

Congratulations to Loughiel this will lift the spirits of the village after so many final defeats. Hopefully Ballycastle will be ready to lunch a serious attack on the championship next year and bring back a bit of old traditional rivalry with the Shamrocks. :)