Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

No gimmies really at this stage. Laois have turned us over lately and Carlow are no mugs lately. want a big turn out for this game. an maybe Clare in the next game to gt us to a quarter final!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Onthehill

jeyz lads I'm excited about this summer. I think we should take Loais/Carlow.  Although they will be tough...I'm nearly sure they beat us in the league this year.  Win this game and we have another winnable game probably against the likes of Dublin, Clare, Offaly and Limerick (these are predictions of the forth coming semi final losers in munster and leinster) going by the GAA main website.

Then who knows a trip to jones road.....AONTROIM ABU :o :o :o

theskull1

I'm gonna save my money for the next round seeing as this next game is a gimme. If Antrim went into that game with the same attitude I'd get the missus something nice with the money I didn't have to spend

Anyone out and about at games yesterday? Dunloy beat Glenariffe very easily in the end. Half way through the first half they were making a real game of it picking off 4/5 unanswered points and were maybe 5 up at a point but we streadied the ship before halftime and pushed on after that. Johnny T got a straight red 10/15 minutes into the second half but in truth the game was only going one way at that point. Enjoyable game in a beatiful setting. Expected more from the home side after a good start. Good workman like performance from Dunloy with some great scores taken.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

maxpower

Would agree with all of that,

firstly on the sudden arrogance thinking we should beat a team that spanked us at home in the league (thats if its Laois).  I think given the performance against Offaly we can have genuine belief going into the game but Laois have also been very much on an upward curve, good performance last year against Limerick, where competitive in each league match and by all accounts made a real game of the Dublin match.

A victory for antrim will be hard earned.

On the Dunloy and Glenarriffe game, pretty much as described, Dunloy held the initiative led against a fairly strong breeze but conceded a goal, this energized the home team and they rattled off a couple more long range scores, the midfielders (No8) scored a super point at this stage.  Dunloy reasserted themselves to go in a point up at the break with a strong breeze to play with.

Only going to be one winner in second half and this was confirmed when Tosh got himself sent off, this could potentially wreck glenarriffe fine start to the season if he gets a long suspension.
What happens next????

Two Hands FFS

I dont think the Laois or Carlow match will be easy,far from it....but the draw could have been so much worse....we got a home draw & we avoided Tipp. The players now know they have a chance,whether we win is a differant story with 2/3 missing.

johnneycool

The Dall were that bit better than us yesterday and were getting their scores easier over the hour even though we went in at half time slightly up aided by a stiff breeze. Our lead was decimated by a goal scored off a rebounded 21- yard save just before half time and I think that reduced it to 2 points. The Dall took control in the second half, picking off their points well and we never really troubled their keeper enough to get the goals we needed. We strangley moved our only scoring forward out of the forwards into a sweeping role which worked to an extent as he got on a lot of ball but left magic too far out the field to get us the goal we needed. None of the other forwards were able to get past their respective opponents and at best were only getting the odd point.

From our POV we need to get some of our players back fit and well as we don't have the strength in depth at the minute to do without them.

The Dall only needed to be OK yesterday, but I can't get round the Karl McKeegan in fullforward move as he didn't do an awful lot yesterday and Shane Mcnaughton didn't get a look in at corner forward but had more joy in midfield where we were really weak with a 19 year old and complete novice to this level not proving too much resistance. McManus in undoubtedly a good hurler but this first instinct is to run and maybe that starves his inside men of good ball. He could indulge himself yesterday but I'd suggest he'd need to vary the game a bit more.

Bloody Ballycastle went and won yesterday, Crans have lost their start of season form a bit and probalby struggled with a big, physical Ballycastle team.
The Ports put Loughgiel to the sword which I was surprised at as the Ports still haven't a plan B in their forwards if Dule is curtailed. They must be getting their scores from somewhere!

johnneycool

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on June 07, 2010, 10:26:05 AM
I dont think the Laois or Carlow match will be easy,far from it....but the draw could have been so much worse....we got a home draw & we avoided Tipp. The players now know they have a chance,whether we win is a differant story with 2/3 missing.

Some teams seem to under perform when expected to win and although Antrim drew with Carlow and got beat by Laois in the league the expectations are on them to win against either at home.

It's a real banana skin for Dinny and he'll need to get that across to the players and one of the reasons the glorious defeat versus Offaly will need to flushed out of their minds. It's in the past and their year will hinge on this game rather than the one in Parnell park.

maxpower

Couple of eye opening results this weekend, Ballycran losing to Ballycastle was a surprise alright going on recent form, i do think Ballycastle are far from the weakest team in the division and it may be a case of them training to peak in championship time.

Portaferry beating Loughgiel is a big surprise for me, the portaferry we played this year were very poor with little threat up front, i doubt they have improved alot since then and will be a force again come the down championship
What happens next????

NAG1

Totally correct JC

These are the games that Antrim have to start putting away on a regular basis before can even look to the next level of Offaly Wexford Limerick and Clare.

What dates are planned for these qualifiers and the Ulster Championship, hows the club games going to be affected?

Yeah what happend the Shams on sunday then, Portaferry have been pretty poor thus far, bit of a suprise there.

Last Man

That's one each for us Milltown ;), both teams a few short of their starting 15 which showed at times. When some of your lads started debating with the ref I knew it was over for yous.

Last Man

Is Tosh having some sort of mid life crisis at the minute? Seems to be getting the line on a regular basis recently. I have seen him get a bit agitated at times, mainly aimed at his team mates if they haven't picked him out and struck a long range shot wide instead. He surely didn't get the red for mouthing yesterday?

maxpower

No red was for use of the elbow under a dropping ball, was sent off against Loughgiel for 2 yellows, does than mean his suspension will be doubled as a result?

It would be a shame for Glenarriffe if he did get a lengthy ban
What happens next????

News Boy

Quote from: Last Man on June 07, 2010, 11:24:02 AM
Is Tosh having some sort of mid life crisis at the minute? Seems to be getting the line on a regular basis recently. I have seen him get a bit agitated at times, mainly aimed at his team mates if they haven't picked him out and struck a long range shot wide instead. He surely didn't get the red for mouthing yesterday?

A load of old boll***s, were you there????????

theskull1

I confess I didn't see it (so am most likely wrong) but I thought it sounded more like a stick than an elbow at the time. I'd say frustration seems to play a large part in JT's disiplinary woes. I'd have expected a boy with his experience to have mellowed out by now.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Onthehill

Have to agree. Johnny Tosh should be older and wiser by now.  Last year he let his club mates down against Dunloy in the semi's by getting sent off(after having a good game too). Came back to the county scene this year and left again. Got sent of against Loughgiel. And now got sent off again yesterday.

Mid life crisis could be a fair reflection.

News boys a newbie like me but he cant spell his clubs name right???? ::) ::)