Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

Don't think we could really blame the lay off for the defeat, Portumna are just an unreal team and Dunloy arguably put in our best performance of the year and still where well beaten.  They have talent in spades but by jeez they work hard to, very hard to get the quality ball into the forwards that we needed given how quickly we were closed down.

Plenty of positives from the game, not least the age profile of the half back line, the return of Shorty and the committment and honesty the team displayed
What happens next????

the colonel

Expect a full team out on Sunday. Would expect a good few changes from last weeks team in Walsh Shield.

Hopefully Neil stays on form. 12 points against NUIG and scored all of UUJ's 3-7 yesterday in the Fitzgibbon.
the difference between success and failure is energy

clootfromthe21

Quote from: the colonel on February 17, 2010, 12:53:58 PM
Expect a full team out on Sunday. Would expect a good few changes from last weeks team in Walsh Shield.

Hopefully Neil stays on form. 12 points against NUIG and scored all of UUJ's 3-7 yesterday in the Fitzgibbon.

Will be interesting to see what changes are made from and how they fare in comparison with last week's team.

the colonel

C O'Connell; S Shannon, N McGarry, R McDonnell; N McAuley, K McKeegan, C Herron; P McGill, M Scullion; E McCloskey, C McBride, A Smiley; S McCrory, L Watson, T McCann. Subs: A Graffin for McDonnell (46), C McFall for McCloskey (51), N McManus for McBride (68).

Players I wouln't expect in the team. Who will come in there?
Neil, Shane and Graffin and Ryan McGarry should all come in. Maybe Tosh and Hippy?

Any idea when the Dunloy players will be available?

imtommygunn

Who is C McBride?

There wouldn't be too many Dunloy players in the panel. I'm not even sure I could think of anyone bar Paddy Richmond? Your man Doherty might be in there but not convinced he's that level...

I suppose young Woody might be in the panel too? Anyone else?

That was a poor enough team out against Carlow however Carlow have improved a lot. Did they not beat us in the league last year? Be a tough enough game. Nothing to say that was Carlow's full team either...

P.S. Hard luck MR. Great work getting to the final though. Kilkenny team just a step too far unfortunately.

the colonel

Colm mcbride from armoy I think.

Paul Shiels will be at least another inclusion for definate.

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on February 15, 2010, 01:59:54 PM
Antrim vs Carlow- Report for county website

CARLOW hurlers recovered from a dreadful start to overcome Antrim in this exciting tie at Dr Cullen Park, Carlow yesterday and set up a home final meeting with neighbours Laois.

The Saffrons raced into a 1-3 to no score lead after seven minutes, right half-forward Eddie McCloskey opening the scoring with a goal on three minutes.

Carlow slowly gained a foothold and in the 10th minute were boosted by a fine individual goal from centre-forward Eddie Byrne.

Carlow went 2-11 to 1-11 in front on 46 minutes and still held a three-point advantage when the Saffrons were awarded a 35-metre free in the dying stages. Liam Watson's effort rose over the bar and Carlow were through to the final.

These sides meet again in the opening round of the NHL on Sunday next when Antrim have home ground advantage.

Scorers -- Carlow: E Byrne 1-3, R Dunbar 1-1, C Hughes 0-3 (1f), A Gaule, R Coady (1f, 1 '65) 0-2 each, C Doyle, B Lawler and P Kehoe 0-1 each. Antrim: L Watson 0-7 (0-5f), S McCrory 0-4, E McCloskey 1-0, A Smiley 0-2, K McKeegan (1f), M Scullion 0-1 each.

Carlow -- K Kehoe; A Corcoran, J Rogers, D Shaw; J O'Hara, R Coady, P Doyle; D Roberts, J Hickey; R Dunbar, E Byrne, C Hughes; A Gaule, E Minchin, C Doyle. Subs: P Kehoe for Hickey (24), B Lawler for Minchin (h-t), E Nolan for P Doyle (h-t), E Kane for O'Hara (53), D Miley for K Kehoe (62), D Byrne for Rogers (65).

Antrim -- C O'Connell; S Shannon, N McGarry, R McDonnell; N McAuley, K McKeegan, C Herron; P McGill, M Scullion; E McCloskey, C McBride, A Smiley; S McCrory, L Watson, T McCann. Subs: A Graffin for McDonnell (46), C McFall for McCloskey (51), N McManus for McBride (68).

Ref -- J Kelly (Wexford)

From Independent

I'm confused.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

I'd be hoping they don't rush Shields back Colonel. Sounded a particularly bad injury he had so wouldn't do him any harm staying away from county for a bit...

the colonel

thats last weekends Walsh Shield Semi Saffron Sam

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 17, 2010, 09:48:33 PM

CARLOW hurlers recovered from a dreadful start to overcome Antrim in this exciting tie at Dr Cullen Park, Carlow yesterday and set up a home final meeting with neighbours Laois.

The Saffrons raced into a 1-3 to no score lead after seven minutes, right half-forward Eddie McCloskey opening the scoring with a goal on three minutes.

Carlow slowly gained a foothold and in the 10th minute were boosted by a fine individual goal from centre-forward Eddie Byrne.

Carlow went 2-11 to 1-11 in front on 46 minutes and still held a three-point advantage when the Saffrons were awarded a 35-metre free in the dying stages. Liam Watson's effort rose over the bar and Carlow were through to the final.

These sides meet again in the opening round of the NHL on Sunday next when Antrim have home ground advantage.

Scorers -- Carlow: E Byrne 1-3, R Dunbar 1-1, C Hughes 0-3 (1f), A Gaule, R Coady (1f, 1 '65) 0-2 each, C Doyle, B Lawler and P Kehoe 0-1 each. Antrim: L Watson 0-7 (0-5f), S McCrory 0-4, E McCloskey 1-0, A Smiley 0-2, K McKeegan (1f), M Scullion 0-1 each.

Carlow -- K Kehoe; A Corcoran, J Rogers, D Shaw; J O'Hara, R Coady, P Doyle; D Roberts, J Hickey; R Dunbar, E Byrne, C Hughes; A Gaule, E Minchin, C Doyle. Subs: P Kehoe for Hickey (24), B Lawler for Minchin (h-t), E Nolan for P Doyle (h-t), E Kane for O'Hara (53), D Miley for K Kehoe (62), D Byrne for Rogers (65).

Antrim -- C O'Connell; S Shannon, N McGarry, R McDonnell; N McAuley, K McKeegan, C Herron; P McGill, M Scullion; E McCloskey, C McBride, A Smiley; S McCrory, L Watson, T McCann. Subs: A Graffin for McDonnell (46), C McFall for McCloskey (51), N McManus for McBride (68).

Ref -- J Kelly (Wexford)

From Independent

I'm confused.

your confused!! this is the person who stole my identity and is posting under my name.

as for our game in Croke, less said the better.

will talk about it when i feel better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffron sam2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 18, 2010, 05:36:45 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 17, 2010, 09:48:33 PM

Ref -- J Kelly (Wexford)

From Independent

I'm confused.

your confused!! this is the person who stole my identity and is posting under my name.

as for our game in Croke, less said the better.

will talk about it when i feel better

Same thing happened wesaysanchez.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4726.msg159610#msg159610
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

drici

By Kieran Murphy
CARLOW hurling manager Kevin Ryan is looking for a big performance when his side opens their NHL Division 2 campaign at Casement Park in Belfast on Sunday.

"We see every game as a potential two points and that is the way to look at it," he said.

"I wouldn't be putting a figure on points saying we must get this and we must get that. It is how we perform. Obviously we have to pick up points and the priority is to survive in Division 2 and see how we can do after that. It is about performing and getting better after every game."

After the highs of the previous two years Carlow hurling followers will be anxious to stay in Division 2 as well but that success has upped the ante.

"Clare and Wexford will be extremely tough and would be seen as Division 1 sides. It is seeing what level of performance we can get against those sides. I wouldn't pick any one game as we could all be amazed at the end of the day where the points come from," opined Ryan.

However there is heartbreak for James Hickey who will be out for at least three league games. There are few hurlers in the county who love the game more than the Rangers captain and Ryan is aware of this.

"He loves hurling. He lives for it and does everything asked of him and more. It is an awful pity for him personally. He is a big loss.

"(He is) A great engine that would drive things on in the middle of the field but that is what a squad is all about.

"Thankfully we have the squad of players and there are players who are ready to take over.

"It could have happened later on in the year and he could miss championship and if we have him back for the end of the league and championship that is the best way to look at."

ONeill

That Carlow boy is very big.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

drici

CARLOW ENJOYED a very useful Divison 2 NHL campaign last year, beating Kerry, Down and Antrim in Dr Cullen Park as well as taking full points from Westmeath in Mullingar to collect sufficient points to finish fourth.

Though beaten by Laois in Portlaoise Carlow finished ahead of their neighbours on score difference. Alas, against the group's 'big two' Carlow were blitzed early as Offaly and Wexford romped to easy victories in Tullamore and Wexford Park.

The 2010 campaign starts next Sunday, the first of two Carlow visits to Ulster as Carlow take on Antrim, heading up again on March 14 when Down will be the hosts.

With a Dr Cullen Park clash against rejuvenated Westmeath sandwiched in between Carlow face a tough start and though Kevin Ryan's charges got the full six points from those three fixtures last year, a repeat, especially considering the away nature of the Ulster games, is a tall order.

However, let's take it one day at a time; first up Antrim in Belfast. And forget last Sunday's Walsh Shield match. This will be a much different prospect. Carlow have never beaten Antrim on Antrim soil, this would be a great time to start!

GEO BYRNE IN CROKER GEORGE 'Geo' Byrne, formerly of Palatine, was togged out in Croke Park last Saturday night, a sub on the Naomh Colm Cille team beaten by Blackrock of Limerick in the All-Ireland Club Junior hurling final.

The 40 year-old has been resident in Tyrone for some years now and actually hurled for the Red hand county against Carlow in the NHL some years ago.

A brother of Joe Byrne, who captained Palatine to the 2006 Carlow SFC, Geo's services were not called on and thus did not emulate the feat of the 20 Erin's Own men who saw action in the National Junior final four years ago.

George's club, popularly known as NCC, based in Coalisland and Clonoe are an exclusive hurling club in a football mad county.

He wasn't the only Carlow man togged out in Croker on Saturday, Ballinkillen's Patrick Murphy was a linesman for that Junior final.

Carlow referee David Hughes took charge of the UCD v NUIG Fitzgibbon Cup second round match in Belfield last week, a prestigious 'marking' for the Erin's Own, Bagenalstown 'whistler'.

NHL FIXTURES

Sunday, February 21: Carlow v Antrim, Belfast Sunday, February 28: Carlow v Westmeath, Dr Cullen Park Sunday, March 14: Carlow v Down, Ballycran/Newry Sunday, March 21: Carlow v Wexford, Dr Cullen Park Sunday, March 28: Carlow v Clare, Dr Cullen Park Sunday, April 4: Carlow v Kildare, Newbridge Sunday, April 18: Carlow v Laois, Dr Cullen Park Sunday, May 2: Final

NAG1

Is it just me or is there something really depressing about starting our NHL against Carlow?
(No disrespect intended)