Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Skull I think you already know the answer to that one.

So tell us this skull what role would you see the county manager having within your future proposal?

theskull1

I don't think you could call anything I've said a proposal as such NAG, more a mismash of ideas that would hopefully improve standards.

Any County Manager coming in would need to be accepting of the fact the development of standards in the game requires a period of time where focus on coaching improvement, focus on the playing & marketing of the local game takes precedence over the fortunes of the best players in the county, but that when they do get together they try to attain the highest standards of play that they can. The County Manager should be an ambassador for the game of hurling rather than a representative of Team Antrim (with his own specific agenda which may stifle proper development of the game). We all have to become less selfish when what we are doing is harming the game.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Good thoughts

I am just concerned as we seem to be going for another big name from outside the county if reports are true. Someone who is coming with a big reputation is only ever going to be working for number one and not for the good of Antrim hurling in 10 - 15 years time.

theskull1

Exactly .....anyone who know anything about hurling in this County knows this is not what is needed, yet our County Board head off in search of another messiah. Am I missing something?

BallBuster

Quote from: theskull1 on September 17, 2009, 11:23:51 AM
Exactly .....anyone who know anything about hurling in this County knows this is not what is needed, yet our County Board head off in search of another messiah. Am I missing something?
Queenie and many others are right Skull, you really do talk the greatest load of aul crap.  Sure if the County Board did not go in search of an interim 'Messiah' you would be the first to complain about it, if you ask me.

Whilst I personally do not susbscribe to the short fix for Antrim hurling and whilst I would agree with some of your suggestions relating to the quality  of coaching etc.  What are we supposed to do in the meantime, stop playing hurling at competitive levels until we get better stuctures put in place?  Now what purpose would that serve?  How do you propose to deal with the selfish issues of self preserverance at club level?

Sounds to me like you should run for the county manager job.  I dont think who ever is selected will meet with your approval anyway.  What about it Skull, be a man, let you actions speak louder than your words, put your name in the hat or are you too selfish and just wish to criricise others who fail in this position.

NAG1

BB

I think you should read his post again and then come back with an arguement that makes sense in relation to what skull said.

theskull1

Has something I said offended you in some way BB. Whats with the attitude?

Whenever you can provide a concise perspective on what you think needs to be done and why then I'll reply although you'd do well to see if you can find any reference I made to stop playing hurling at compeditive levels before you start. I'll let you have the floor for a while if you are able to say anything constructive. Lets be having you.

BallBuster

Quote from: theskull1 on September 17, 2009, 12:00:47 PM

Whenever you can provide a concise perspective on what you think needs to be done and why then I'll reply although you'd do well to see if you can find any reference I made to stop playing hurling at compeditive levels before you start. I'll let you have the floor for a while if you are able to say anything constructive. Lets be having you.

Stop evading the issues/questions Skull.  !!!!!!!!!! 

theskull1

I have said I will reply whenever you give us all your concise perpsective on what you feels needs to be done across the whole spectrum of hurling in Antrim. Am I asking too much of you?

Again WTF is with the attitude?

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on September 17, 2009, 10:51:02 AM
Good thoughts

I am just concerned as we seem to be going for another big name from outside the county if reports are true. Someone who is coming with a big reputation is only ever going to be working for number one and not for the good of Antrim hurling in 10 - 15 years time.

That's the thing, any county manager either from within the county or outside it will be judged solely on the results of the county team, just ask Sambo and Woody. To that aim if they had their way, the county squad would be training 4 to 5 nights a week (with the county only) and be held in cotton wool for county games. Understandable IMO.

It's really up to the clubs to drive the agenda with the county board to strike a balance in terms of playing club games with or without the county players. It's all too easy to say clubs should play minus county players but if the club has six, maybe seven players away with the county even the standard of club training drops let alone during games. Club managers too are judged on results and want their best available every time and in the middle are the players being pulled from pillar to post.

gelvis

Quote from: BallBuster on September 17, 2009, 12:07:01 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 17, 2009, 12:00:47 PM

Stop evading the issues/questions Skull.  !!!!!!!!!!

Quite clear then what Ballbusters objectives are.  Name like that your only here to stir things up and talk pure pish.  By singling out MR, Skull and someone else in your first post, you immediately set your targets on who to annoy.  Sort of boy that sits at the bar telling the young ones that "when I was playing it wouldn't have been done like that at all..."

Colonel what ever happened to that young Brick fella, thought he was back hurling for youse again this year?  Seemed like the boy to have made the difference in the A.I. semi last year as youse were one panel member off Croker.
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

NAG1

Apparently has done his cruciate ligament in a league against St Johns from what I heard.

The man in the middle

Jesus Queenie, what is your problem, be constructive at least about your issue with the Refs. Matthews, Elliott, Duffy, MC Intyre and Liam(Herbie) are the national referees in the county. All the lads work hard at their games, and Tommy has a even bigger problem with the admin and appointments. Christ its nearly a FT occupation, MR! Colm Cunning is now doing the Intermediate, Ray is injured and may be out for some time, Speedy is doing the junior and we all feel that Tommy or Owen will get the Senior. Now that stops all the guesswork. Minor may go to Liam and M "B" is anybodys guess.

Why take a pop at Rays personal situation, whatever you feel he may or may not look like has now relevance on his experience and ability to control a good game, catch a grip Queenie and lets have a constructive approach and we will engage if the issues are relevant.

NAG1

Quote from: The man in the middle on September 17, 2009, 02:48:40 PM
Jesus Queenie, what is your problem, be constructive at least about your issue with the Refs. Matthews, Elliott, Duffy, MC Intyre and Liam(Herbie) are the national referees in the county. All the lads work hard at their games, and Tommy has a even bigger problem with the admin and appointments. Christ its nearly a FT occupation, MR! Colm Cunning is now doing the Intermediate, Ray is injured and may be out for some time, Speedy is doing the junior and we all feel that Tommy or Owen will get the Senior. Now that stops all the guesswork. Minor may go to Liam and M "B" is anybodys guess.

Why take a pop at Rays personal situation, whatever you feel he may or may not look like has now relevance on his experience and ability to control a good game, catch a grip Queenie and lets have a constructive approach and we will engage if the issues are relevant.

Just curious MITM, one of my bug bears as the rest of the lads on here will testify to is this business of pulling the ball on in the air. It is one that I feel that the refs have difficulty in determining someone who is going for the ball and someone who is pulling early and low just to do damage.
Is this something that is raised at meetings between yourselves or what is your view on it?

Tóin ghruagach

Quote from: The man in the middle on September 17, 2009, 02:48:40 PM

Well said, sir.  Who is the "we" in "we all"? Is it a group of refs, players, officials?

Delighted that Speedy got the Junior final and young Cunning has potential so all in all good calls.