Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Thought the match was quite interesting at times last night. Dunloy seemed to be slow out of the blocks and this seems to be a triat of theirs. Once they got to grips with the game after ten mins there looked to be only one winner and bar a couple of way ward shots and bad selection could have killed the game off earlier.
In contrast to an earlier post, RM did his usual which was to keep the team trailing (i.e. Ballycastle) on contention with non-frees.
True Ballycastle could have nicked a draw at the finish but the Dunloy backs did a good job preventing any sort of shot on goal.
Like I said before Ballycastle have improved but they are short 3-4 players before contesting with the big two.

Dunloy looked a little slack in a couple of different areas, they are lose in the middle of the field and in the second half under the cosh some of their forwards went missing, that is something that I am sure that they will be working on.

north aontroim gael

Interesting game last night.  Think it showed two teams on different points on a slope......Ballycastle on the way up and Dunloy slowly on the way down.  Dunloy just had that bit extra cuteness up front at times but Ballycastle were not far away.

As it stands I would expect Dunloy to beat Glanariff and the winners of Cushendall and Loughgiel to go on and win the Final.

NAG1

North Antrim Gael

Where are you getting the confidence from that Dunloy are on the downward slope, just intrigued by this notion, I was looking at their team last night and the full forward line they had playing all under 23 24?

Plus Ballycastle only two threats upfront were cosy and pinkie both of whom in their last couple of years and as far as I could see they dont have another scoring forward to replace them?

theskull1

The average age of the Dunloy team is no more than 25
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Mario

I have a passive interest in how the game went last night, so i came to this thread to have a look. You would nearly think Ballycastle won last night and Dunloy lost the way some of you are going on. Never seen a loser get more praise than the winners.

maxpower

[quote author=wideball - ffs ref link

I agree Skull about the pitch being soft and small.  I thought Mathews was a little biased with Dunloy and was hard on Ballycastle on a few occasions.  Ballycastle had their chances and gave it a go.  I think if they were a little bit more physical in the tackle it may have made a bit of difference. I see thon bollocks Elliot on the line, I thought he may have been sanctioned for his recent misdemeanors.  Mathews always tends to blow the technical stuff but thats his way of demonstrating his importance during a game.  He seemed to be very chatty with the Dunloy fellas also.  Just makes you wonder about his previous close associations with Dunloy.  Ballycastle will come good in the near future.  Dunloy fellas (stalwarts) are well past their sell by date.  I think the great Dunloy era is over now for sure.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree with any of that, well with the exception of the pitch.  I thought Matthews was ok but his tendency was to give Ballycastle soft frees at times when Dunloy threatened to pull away

I haven't a clue what your problem is with Shane Elliott, and less idea what misdemeanors you are talking about.  A hurling man through and through and terrific coach.

I'm sure Ballycastle will be thereabouts in future but people have been writing Dunloy off as done since the Athenry defeat in 2002, last night was a young team, only 4 players at 30 plus,
What happens next????

theskull1

Quote from: maxpower on August 21, 2009, 11:03:56 AM
I haven't a clue what your problem is with Shane Elliott, and less idea what misdemeanors you are talking about.  A hurling man through and through and terrific coach.

Wrong Elliott Max. Its ref's (linesmen) yer man has problems with

Nemo

i think he was talking about the linesman Max

i thought both teams where poor, if ever a day that Ballycastle could have beat Dunloy it was yesterday.

i think too much is being made of Dunloy's performance, they where poor imo and still won. they will improve for the semi and even more for the final.

as for them being Done, this is rubbish, one for sure (G O'Kane), maybe two are done but the rest are fairly young, they are still my shout for winners this year.

north aontroim gael

Just my opinion Skull I think the current Dunloy team is not as good as in previous years and I think that present Ballycastle team is vastly improved upon over previous seasons showings.  Dunloy won the title 2 years ago and were very close to being in a Final last year and would have provided better opposition than Loughgiel. I'm not trying to say they are a bad team.

I didn't seem to sound totally dismissive of Dunloy as I know on their day they can beat anyone its just my opinion that the pick of Loughgiel or Cushendall will have their measure.  That said if Loughgiel get past Cushendall we know their record in finals.

wideball - ffs ref

Quote from: theskull1 on August 21, 2009, 11:23:11 AM

Skull, I have no problem at all with referees/linemen, just those who are not straight and impartial!
Doc John, surely Hamill will not be that cheap!

theskull1

Quote from: wideball - ffs ref on August 21, 2009, 12:05:40 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 21, 2009, 11:23:11 AM

Skull, I have no problem at all with referees/linemen, just those who are not straight and impartial!

Yes, we've all noticed the campaign you've been championing since you joined.

Minder

I heard talk of a double header in Casement for the semis, a bit daft with four north Antrim teams playing. Could be bollocks of course.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

wideball - ffs ref

[quote author=wideball - ffs ref link

I agree Skull about the pitch being soft and small.  I thought Mathews was a little biased with Dunloy and was hard on Ballycastle on a few occasions.  Ballycastle had their chances and gave it a go.  I think if they were a little bit more physical in the tackle it may have made a bit of difference. I see thon bollocks Elliot on the line, I thought he may have been sanctioned for his recent misdemeanors.  Mathews always tends to blow the technical stuff but thats his way of demonstrating his importance during a game.  He seemed to be very chatty with the Dunloy fellas also.  Just makes you wonder about his previous close associations with Dunloy.  Ballycastle will come good in the near future.  Dunloy fellas (stalwarts) are well past their sell by date.  I think the great Dunloy era is over now for sure.

Couldn't agree with any of that, well with the exception of the pitch.  I thought Matthews was ok but his tendency was to give Ballycastle soft frees at times when Dunloy threatened to pull away

I'm sure Ballycastle will be thereabouts in future but people have been writing Dunloy off as done since the Athenry defeat in 2002, last night was a young team, only 4 players at 30 plus,
[/quote]

Max, not shane Ellliot, but the 'Wonder Boy'  Owen Elliot who has been economical with the truth in recent times!

NAG1

wideball

we are getting a bit tired of this personal vendetta your waging. Either spit out what you have to say and take the consequences or change the record.

wideball - ffs ref

Quote from: Minder on August 21, 2009, 12:18:24 PM
I heard talk of a double header in Casement for the semis, a bit daft with four north Antrim teams playing. Could be bollocks of course.

The old travel sickness, generally wears off within an hour from Dunloy!