Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Agreed,as long as nobody tells us we have made "progress"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

take the spin on this lads:

After a difficult few weeks, Antrim ended their involvement in National competitions with a comprehensive win over Laois.  The early promise shown by this young Antrim side when they won the Walsh Cup and defeated Wexford in the National League never provided a platform for them to move on from there. However, today's win only adds strength to their argument that they are stuck in the "no-man's land" of too good for Christy Ring and not good enough for the Liam McCarthy. The fact that several other counties are in a similar position will add weight to the widspread calls for change to structures if any of these counties are going to be provided with a means to improve and progress.

Goals were the catalyst for this Antrim victory as they ensured their Liam MacCarthy Cup status by beating 14-man Laois in Navan.

The Saffrons began well with a Shane McNaughton goal after 19 seconds, but Laois pressed hard thanks to the efforts of Noel Costello (0-05).

Although the sides were level on three occasions, Antrim led by 1-10 to 0-10 at half-time.

The dismissal of John A Delaney failed to hit Laois badly, but a 62nd-minute Paddy Richmond goal sealed the issue.

Scarcely 150 spectators watched on as the Ulster champions guaranteed themselves a place in next year's All-Ireland championship, with Laois' status now depending on a play-off against the 2008 Christy Ring Cup champions.

Neither side hit top gear in this game, which was dominated by two crucial scores - goals in either half for the Saffrons from Shane McNaughton and Paddy Richmond.

Both McNaughton and Richmond impressed in a full-forward line that bagged a tally of 2-12 over the course of the contest.

Antrim could not have asked for a better start, and aided by a strong wind, they signalled their intent right from the throw-in.

The ball was worked in towards full-forward Richmond, who directed a pass to McNaughton, and the son of joint-manager 'Sambo' McNaughton exposed the Laois defence and slotted home the first goal.

Despite that leaking of an early goal, Laois would not give Antrim an easy game and the O'Moore men cut the gap to the minimum thanks to points from Noel Costello and John Brophy.

But an eager Antrim attack restored their goal lead, after Richmond slotted between the posts.

The sides were level on three occasions over the remainder of a keenly-contested opening half, but McNaughton's goal continued to be difference as the Saffrons took a 1-10 to 0-10 buffer into the second period.

Costello hit five first half points for Laois, with his half-forward colleagues Colin Delaney and Willie Hyland also effective.

Despite Antrim also possessing a strong attack, with five of their six starting forwards on target before the interval, they should have converted a lot more chances in the opening 35 minutes, hitting seven first half wides.

Laois goalkeeper Paddy Mullaney also pulled off some fine saves including a penalty stop from Antrim's net minder Ryan McGarry in the 30th-minute.

Laois were keen to begin the second half on a positive note, but paid dearly for two early missed chances from Costello, who was subsequently replaced by John Rowney.

The Midlanders' opponents hit three points in succession, including a Paul Shiels brace of frees, to open up a 1-13 to 0-10 lead by the 44th-minute.

Niall Rigney's side failed to throw in the towel as an excellent string of points - all from open play - ensured that a goal separated the sides as the game entered the final quarter with Hyland, Colin Delaney and John Brophy all on target.

However, Antrim's full-forward line of McNaughton, Richmond and Paul Shiels continued to impress, and a McNaughton point in injury-time put the icing on the win.

Scorers - Antrim: P Shiels 0-08, 0-08f, S McNaughton 1-03, P Richmond 1-01, K Stewart 0-02, J Campbell, E McCloskey, M Herron, C Duffin 0-01 each. Laois: N Costello 0-05 (0-04f), W Hyland, J Brophy (0-01f) 0-03 each, E Holohan, C Delaney 0-02 each, T Fitzgerald 0-01.

ANTRIM: R McGarry; A Graffin, C Donnelly, M Kettle; C Herron, K McKeegan, J Campbell; E McCloskey, PJ O'Connell; M Herron, K Stewart, P Magill; S McNaughton, P Richmond, P Shiels.

Subs used: C Duffin for O'Connell (41 mins), C McKinley for Herron (66), J McKeague for Magill (70).

LAOIS: P Mullaney; D Maher, B Campion, M McEvoy; J A Delaney, J Phelan, C Coonan; E Holohan, J Walsh; C Delaney, W Hyland, N Costello; N Holmes, T Fitzgerald, J Brophy.

Subs used: E Browne for Walsh (27-29 mins, blood sub), J Rowney for Costello (39), C Dunne for Coonan (56), S Hanlon for Holohan (58).

Referee: Jason O'Mahony (Limerick).

theskull1

Quote from: the colonel on July 19, 2008, 07:47:56 PM
interesting to see woodys son getting a run out.

Holy Christ :o. Even as a Dunloy man and having great belief in young woodies potential, thats just not right. He still has to cement his place for Dunloy FFS. They can talk all they like about prepapring the U21's but that is showing no respect to the boys who have trained all year (I'm assuming that some of them were on the line today)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

i wonder has there ever been a manager that hasn't put his son on the team that he's been looking after? as Skull has said if your just about getting on your own team and then playing for the county senior team then it's unfair on the fringe players who have been there since October, training in the mud and in the gym doing the strength and condidtioning training they so obviously done. as they are so fit and big ;)

Glensman

We won and were a fair bit better than Laois (from people at the game).

We're not relegated and we did the job.

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't (try new blood, who played very well for the under 21s).
Have we got a full list of who were subs/travelled. Woody is a decent defender, was clearly called into the panel as not the full compliment travelling and went on and played as he was put on. Cries of nepotism are made all too frequently in the GAA and we need to have a look at it.
Shane McNaughton might not start in the full strength team but did a job, a good one.
Young Woody must have been called up this week and did a job.

Skull - if you want to get into specifics about him not nailing down a club spot that just doesn't make sense. Without naming names in Dunloy team your logic doesn't make sense....should those players therefore then be on the panel and be in there? Would they have travelled/could they care less about the county (in no way a jibe at them)?
Perhaps harsh on certain players who have trained (but as I say I'd like to see the subs).
If he was the best fit as a sub in an important relegation battle then he goes on. Full stop (although there already was one).

On a related but slightly different note, one of my pet hates about the GAA is where players are moved into positions as one is playing well and one isn't. A corner forward is having a stormer, a wing half forward isn't and they are swapped. WRONG. Pull the wing half off and replace him or move two players who are playing on a par. (I realise it is not always possible to have a perfect fit on the bench.
Similarly (slightly) if there is a better player who is a sub who is a midfielder, who is a better player than someone who is a back on the bench, the whole team is rejigged to fit that better player.

Heard Karl Stewart had a great game. In my opinion...given performances of late and dedication ne should be a shoe in for Antrim Hurler of the Year.
Thoughts?

playwiththewind1st

Páirc Tailteann, Navan looked resplendent; both Antrim and Laois served up a keenly-contested contest but patrons voted with their feet and stayed away for the most-part from this All-Ireland SHC playoff, as a crowd in the region of 150 people watch Antrim secure top-flight status for 2009.

The 150 figure sums it up........more on the touchline than there was on the terraces.

theskull1

Quote from: Glensman on July 20, 2008, 06:32:13 PM
You are damned if you do and damned if you don't (try new blood, who played very well for the under 21s).
Have we got a full list of who were subs/travelled. Woody is a decent defender, was clearly called into the panel as not the full compliment travelling and went on and played as he was put on. Cries of nepotism are made all too frequently in the GAA and we need to have a look at it.
Shane McNaughton might not start in the full strength team but did a job, a good one.
Young Woody must have been called up this week and did a job.

Skull - if you want to get into specifics about him not nailing down a club spot that just doesn't make sense. Without naming names in Dunloy team your logic doesn't make sense....should those players therefore then be on the panel and be in there? Would they have travelled/could they care less about the county (in no way a jibe at them)?
Perhaps harsh on certain players who have trained (but as I say I'd like to see the subs).
If he was the best fit as a sub in an important relegation battle then he goes on. Full stop (although there already was one).

Heard Karl Stewart had a great game. In my opinion...given performances of late and dedication ne should be a shoe in for Antrim Hurler of the Year.
Thoughts?

Glens if woody was the only defender left on the bench and one of the players was injured/having a stinker then fair enough. If there were other defenders on the line who had trained all year then it was bad form IMO to play him. Simple as. You will not find a better lad than Conor and my comments were not attacking him or were they about any form of nepotism taking place. My point was that if you haven't yet cemented your place on your club senior team, your are not ready to represent your county at senior level (I don't care who it is).

Agree with you about Karl Stewart BTW. A great naturally gifted hurler who has always played the game with passion.

Two Hands FFS

Antrim Hurling Div 1- 2008
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
Cushendall    1-25   1-10   Ballycastle    Cushendall      
Dunloy    2-21   0-11   Glenariff    Dunloy      
Loughgiel    1-23   1-12   Ballygalget    Loughgiel Shamrocks      
St. Johns    0-7   1-15   Portaferry    Corrigan Park

Some highscoring matches there especially from the top 3 teams in the county. Bad result for St Johns who are starting to slip abit.

Heard last night that it wasnt actually Young Woody who came on...although I dont the player who came on

aontroim

Antrim Hurling Div 2-3

Cushendun  0-9 6-24 Ballycran  :o
Shane O Neills 1-15 3-9 Glenravel
St. Pauls 1-5 0-9 Gort Na Mona
Sarsfields 2-11 2-11 Carey Faughs
Rasharkin 0-0 0-1 Cloughmills  ???
Tir na nOg were beat by Clooney by about 5

Div 2 is a cakewalk for Ballycran - its all about who stays in the top 8 now for the rest of the year.

NAG

any stories from the weekends games

looks to be a bit of a set back for MJ's blue and white army

theskull1

Dunloy beat Glenariffe handy enough in the end last night, but I'm sure that there was only 2 points in it 15mins into the second half. Pulled away well towards the end. Glenariff didn't look as strong as they did when we played them down there. Seemed to have a few missing, as did we btw.

Terrible result for the Johnnies especially at home. Anybody at the game?

Glensman

Skull I know your comments weren't about nepotism, Milltown's first sentence was.

Its a tough one...given there is quite a gulf between Dunloy, Loughgeil and Cushendall and the rest it might sometimes be that our county will have players who are there or there abouts with their clubs and are on the county panel. Sometimes players are a better fit than others. There appears to be a very wide pool from Dunloy who are pushing for places 1) that would suggest there are players who are much of a muchness and 2) I hope you get the right blend for the important matches to come.

Ballycran have a different agenda this year (and in the background they'll win Div 2 easy). I'd say they are going hammer and tongs for Ulster.
Cloughmills beat Rasharkin by 4.
Decent result for Sarsfields.

NAG

I would imagine that the young fella's pushing through in dunloy would probably have been permanent fixtures already in other clubs without that kind of strength and depth.

I think having played down a divison this year will hurt the cran later in the when it comes to coming up against the big boys who ever they maybe!

JamesH

Was wondering how the County senior keeper was fit to play cf for the Towns res last night? is he not graded, he then was sent off straight red(seen with my own eyes) but then the ref changed it to Two yellows, their was one high profile NA official their wonder what his position is since it was against his club? oop's

milltown row

Glensman my first sentence was a simple question, has there been any manager that hasn't put his son on the county team he's managed? never mention that the county managers are fond of nepotism.

oh we beat Lamhs by 9 i hear, still sunnying myself, hard work... 8)