Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

podge

Quote from: slow corner back on December 06, 2007, 08:33:47 PM
still training podge, mainly indoor stuff weights etc, we play again in January. If they change the league structures then everything is up in the air and we will have to play where we are put as will everyone else. If they have eight teams league we will be in Div3 but alongside rasharkin, ahoghill, Tir Na Og, cloughmills etc which would be an OK league for us. As I said i dont mind an eight team league but I think it should be brought in for 2009 and everyone plays for places in 2008.

I think you'll find ahoghill/clooney and tir na og are both reasonably far up div 2, clooney were close to winning.   someone said before that the bottom 4 in div 2 were the 4 finalists in junior and intermediate- armoy, 'sharkin. st pauls and c'dun.  so conceivably you could have those 4 going down to div 3 :-[   a combination of proposals could actually see c'dun in div 3 and palying in the senior c'ship as intermediate champions ::) good fun for them...

but sure its alll just speculation at this stage

Quote from: SeanSouth on December 06, 2007, 10:08:22 PM
There was a post on the official Antrim site regarding the makeup of 2008 leagues,as usual you get the "nothing to do with us" non answer. I sometimes wonder what purpose that guestbook serves.

In fairness Seansouth, it is the clubs who decide in the end. 

Its seems there is general agreement that the whole process and timing of it could be improved and the communication could be better.

Guillem2

Here's the clubs in the order in which they finished last year. I think splitting back into 4 Divisions gives you better balanced leagues. You cab argue about shifting clubs about between the Divisions - for example Glenarm in Div 1 and Rossa in Div 2 - but overall I think this looks like a better set up.

Div 1
Loughgiel Shamrocks
Dunloy
Portaferry
Cushendall
Ballygalget
Ballycastle
Glenariff
St. Johns
St. Galls
Ballycran
Rossa

Div 2
Lamh Dhearg
Sarsfields
Shane O Neills
Gort Na Mona
Gaeil Chluana
Glenravel
Carey Faughs
Tir na Nog
Cushendun
St. Pauls

Div 3
Rasharkin
Armoy
Cloughmills
St. Teresas
St. Endas
St. Agnes
Ballymena
Ardoyne

Div 4
Davitts
Bredagh IIs
O Mitchel Og
Larne
St. Pauls IIs
Sarsfields IIs
Creggan Gaels
Na fuiseoig
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

NAG

The key to getting good league structures in place at all level in the county is getting the word out there.

How many teams are in each league?
Is it one way or two way?
How many are relegated at the end of the year?
What nights or days the fixtures are to take place?
No cancellation of games without a valid and serious reason and no cancellation without the date for the refixed game being in place, otherwise the game goes ahead or the team unwilling to field gives the points away.

If these are in place and the county games are catered for as well as our own championships then there is absolutely no reason why the leagues should not be finished in good time. Down and Tyrone can do this every year with a full two way fixture log and they are finished in good time as well with little or no cancellations or postponements.

Time we had our house in order and got this sorted finally then we can build on a base of regular hurling and football at club level.

Last Man

Don't think you could do any better than that G2, looks well balanced from 1 to 4. If certain teams don't let their egos cloud their thinking then they should be looking for this. Whats the chances of good sense though.

theskull1

Quote from: Last Man on December 07, 2007, 11:06:56 PM
Don't think you could do any better than that G2, looks well balanced from 1 to 4. If certain teams don't let their egos cloud their thinking then they should be looking for this. Whats the chances of good sense though.

Was going to say so myself Last Man before I weighed in behind your reply. Div 1/2&3 to me anyway look very well balanced
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

podge

Quote from: hardstation on December 08, 2007, 01:37:53 AM
What should the tables for next year look like without re-jigging them?
I mean, what were the regulations for promotion/relegation at the start of the year?

One up and one down at each level was my understanding, the issue being clouded by mc d's withdrawl. 

so sars down to div 2 with glenarm up, armoy/no-one down to div 3 with cloughmills up.

Guillem2, those leagues look fair enough. personally i would have more in div 2 and less in div 1 as there is more scope for playing matches at that level-not as many players involved at county level so matches can pretty much carry on.

Now if was cloughmills man, i would be fairly pissed off if this structure went through.  thye have been trying to get out of div 3 for a few years now and went through this year unbeaten in league to win the league.  this sytem gives them no reward at all, just two teams down into it.

the same could possibly said for glenarm but i don't think they will be that bothered.   i think they realise they will not be able to compete in div 1 long term.  having said that, they have earned the right.   cloughmills are a very progressive club with a bit of up and coming talent so medium/long term thay probably view themselves as a Div 2 team and want to get in there.

maybe i am wrong- any clougmills, shano o'neills posters?

Guillem2

Fair points Podge but it all depends on how you see the league.

I've always seen it as a stepping stone to the championship. That's not to say you don't want to win it but I think it's more important to give your team 14-18 challenging league matches to allow them to play to their potential going into the championship.

You could make the case for Rossa playing Div 2 next year and it would be hard to argue against based on some of our performances this year. Ballycran would be far to strong for Div 2 as they showed during the championship.

I don't think it would do Glenarm much good playing in Div 1 next year. They should be aiming to win a stronger Div 2 and the IHC.

It is tough on Cloughmills I admit but again they would be playing in a far more competitive Div 3 next year and should be aiming for promotion and the JHC. Many of the matches in Div 3 this year were conceeded because teams knew they were mis-matches.

johnneycool

An 11 team Div1 means 10 games a year, is this enough or is it the case where the UHL and in the case of North Antrim clubs thing like the Feis pick up the slack??

Guillem2

I think you're right Johnnycool. The Ulster League and other competition can take up some of the slack. There is no point in Cushendall beating Sarsfields by 20 pts in the Antrim league. A game against Dungiven or Slaughneil in UHL will do them more good.

Is it not time the Down teams ran a senior league? Maybe with your Nickey Rackard Team competing against the senior clubs? Even a few ganmes would be worth while but I hear there was fun & games at the last Ards derby!

Glensman

Final of Ulster League

Dunloy v Loughgeil

Cloughmills 2pm Sunday.

Worth a look to see how Dunloy are shaping up and if Loughgeil can get some revenge for the championship defeat.

milltown row

with the pressure off loughgiel i think they may turn Dunloy over. whats Cloughmills pitch like? thats a home venue for both really.

is the pitch on the road out of Cloughmills towards Loughgiel?

Last Man

It's about a 1/3 of a mile out of C'mills on the RHS, down a lane along side a big feic off house. You can see the posts from the road.
Hurling only club so no big holes and bare patches but not sure how its holding up with all the wet weather. I'd say it's as good as there is about at this time of year.

milltown row

at our AGM last night we have voted to go against the league format for the Championship. think this could be a good thing and will also stop the late games when there's no light. teams travelling to ballycastle or belfast for a game at 6.30 pm was complete madness. and some times may win the odd match, Obviously the big teams usually get to the final but the open draw can throw in some great games.

in the football not too long ago we played Cargin in a prelim. game and it was a cracker with the defending Ulster Champions getting knocked out. so i'm all for the shock factor that may happen. and there must not be seeding either, as it's exactly the same with the top teams making there way to the semi finals.

also we were told of the Ulster hurling fixtures Sat night from april through to the start of June. this will most surely give us two games in a row. not good for us Dual clubs. but we'll carry on

PlayWithTheWind

does anyone have a full list of the panel?
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Glensman

Dunloy 2-13 Loughgeil 1-7 I think was the final scoreline.

Comfortable enough win for Dunloy. To be expected as they have started back training but they looked sharp enough and good sign that there were quiet a few regulars on the bench. Thought Darren Quinn looked sharp and Paudie Shivers turning into a  good hurler.

Winker sent off (I would have bet my house on it if I had one). Two yellows, could have been about 7 but Ray Matthews ussed a bit of licence to give Loughgeil a chance. His licence was arguably within the spirit of what the game should have been and the game largely was but it could have seen someone get a leg broke.

On another note - hope to see more championship matches in Cloughmills. Super pitch generally and the condition it was in at this time of year was great.