Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Quote from: maxpower on September 24, 2007, 05:56:13 PM
i initially thought that it had crossed the line, maybe my dunloy bias coming through now but i seem to recall it being struck of the defenders leg on the line the struck again as the player was lying down, it seemed to be under his leg as he lay on the line.  no way to tell if the whole ball crossed the line, and if it did it was a very very tight call.  certainly wasn't the foot over the line some are suggesting. 

anyhows as you say no sense dwelling on maybe's,

anyone know the schedule for the day of the finals, is the football on first?  I remember a few years back we were in the All-Ireland final two years on the trot and both years it was the first game, the reason was to make sure the hurling got the pitch when it was in its best condition.  sorta thought that made sense

According to the county website the Senior Hurling final is fixed for 16.00 on October 7th. So if they are both on the one day it will be football first. I know in the past this has led to problems, about ten years ago the football wnet to extra time leading to a 30-40 minute delay for the hurling final. That could leave the hurling starting at 16.45, I hope the much vaunted casment floodlights will be available if that turns out to be the case.

On a seperate note I see Dunloy are also in the intermediate football final next weekend, are there many players taking part in both finals?

Guillem2

They usually play the hurling second. It's the main game aftyer all and attracts the biggest crowd!
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Mhic Easmuint

Yep hurling on 2nd. Football final is at 2pm.

Guillem2

This weeks fixtures:

Junior Hurling Championship Final

Armoy  v sharkin  Casement Park 30/09/2007 14:00 

Intermediate Hurling Championship Final

Cushendun v St. Pauls  Casement Park 30/09/2007 16:00

Reserve Hurling Championship

Tir na Nog v Portaferry  Tir na Nog 29/09/2007 14:00   
St. Endas v St. Johns  St. Endas 29/09/2007 14:00
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

saffron sam2

Quote from: slow corner back on September 24, 2007, 09:10:36 PM
Quote from: maxpower on September 24, 2007, 05:56:13 PM
i initially thought that it had crossed the line, maybe my dunloy bias coming through now but i seem to recall it being struck of the defenders leg on the line the struck again as the player was lying down, it seemed to be under his leg as he lay on the line.  no way to tell if the whole ball crossed the line, and if it did it was a very very tight call.  certainly wasn't the foot over the line some are suggesting. 

anyhows as you say no sense dwelling on maybe's,

anyone know the schedule for the day of the finals, is the football on first?  I remember a few years back we were in the All-Ireland final two years on the trot and both years it was the first game, the reason was to make sure the hurling got the pitch when it was in its best condition.  sorta thought that made sense

According to the county website the Senior Hurling final is fixed for 16.00 on October 7th. So if they are both on the one day it will be football first. I know in the past this has led to problems, about ten years ago the football wnet to extra time leading to a 30-40 minute delay for the hurling final. That could leave the hurling starting at 16.45, I hope the much vaunted casment floodlights will be available if that turns out to be the case.

On a seperate note I see Dunloy are also in the intermediate football final next weekend, are there many players taking part in both finals?

It was a semi-final replay between St. Gall's and Cargin, which Cargin won, that was played before the Ballycastle - Cushendall final.  It is obvious that the football semi-final should have been the curtain raiser, but it should also have been obvious that extra-time was possible.  Then again look at the impact extra-time had in this year's Tommy Murphy Cup final.

So there is no possibility of extra-time in the football final delaying the hurling final on 7th October and hence, no real need for the much vaunted floodlights.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hoof Hearted

If Portglenone win, there is no way the hurling will start on time !! 1st championship in history, the stewards wont prevent a pitch invasion and they will be in no hurry off it. if St Galls win, different story.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Ruairi Og exile

First of all congrats to Dunloy on their fully deserved victory, it would probably have been robbery if he nicked at the end. Dunloy were hungrier & that was the main reason for their victory. Cushendall just didnt perform on the day but at least we went down like champions by fighting to the end as some teams could have folded(we've done it previously) & some of main players had nightmares...but we've had two great years so we cant complain. That could be the last time we possibly see Monty in a Cushendall jersey. He's been a legend for us & wish him all the best. We owe him alot.

To the final,Loughgiel will definately fancy their chances. Who will mark Watson?? If Dunloy get the same performances out of Paddy, Dick & Ally as they did on Sunday I think they'll win. Should be a good match. The nerves will kick in now :-[.

milltown row

SENIOR COUNTY FINALS
The covered stand will be all ticket on Sun 7th Oct.To facilitate those clubs involved tickets will go on sale as follows.Thurs 27th St Galls 7.30-8.30.Fri 28th Portglenone 7.30-8.30.Wed 3rd Oct Dunloy 7.30-8.30.Thurs 4th Oct Loughgiel 7.30-8.30.A limited number of tickets will be on sale to all other patrons on Tues 2nd in Casement 7.00-8.00pm.Would patrons please note that every person including children must have a ticket to gain access to the stand.

£12 for adults and £3  juveniles

NAG

I really really dont see why we should be bailing out other counties at the expense of our own.

If Ulster council want to fund other counties with coaches and get them up to a reasonable standard then let them.

As antrim people we need to get our own house in order before we do anything. We need to get structures right in our weaker clubs so that they bring their own standard up and by doing so bring the competitiveness of the whole league up.

Correct me if Im wrong but is that not the job of our paid Hurling Games Development Manager?

theskull1

As NAG has mentioned, messing around with league formats is only tinkering. The real problem is the standards in Antrim outside of the top 3. Until proper focus is given to coaching then our fortunes won't improve. Dunloy have only just grasped the nettle this year and hope to improve their coaching structures right through the club as we have taken our eye of the ball in this regard also. I do think there should be a top down approach from county level setting out so guidelines to clubs on the sort of structures they should have.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG

skull

This really gets under my skin as we have a full time paid offical in Casment for this job on good money better than most and we have yet to see any form of results or even a plan to improve our general standards.

I know Dunloy went and did all the structures for coaching themselves and fair play to them, but where was the help or guidence?

Glensman

In those league structures suggested what do current Antrim Div 2/Div 3 teams do. Play in leagues with Armagh/Donegal teams of a similar standard. An inventive idea it was but one that was not thought through.

We need to run with the leagues as they are and stop tinkering. We need Div 3 clubs to aspire to get into Div 2...to hope to consolidate should they get promoted and then look to build. We need teams like St Pauls back in there flighting tooth and nail to get their Div 1 status back.

We encourage clubs to focus on juvenile training and nuture the talent within Antrim. Not drag Derry/Down along with us as mentioned. They are our rivals and are increasingly (esp Derry) cathcing up with us (and some might say passing).
Our development officer (as mentioned) is given the task of as well as coaching youngsters in schools of setting in place structures for clubs within the county.
E.G. he goes to St Johns, a club that is much touted as being in decline (but a club that ran Dunloy close this year) - discusses the club with the chairman, other senior figures, requests are made for juvenile coaches who should be provided with the appropriate gear, support etc and we work our way up from there.

We do it on our own doorstep and build.

Glensman

TO THE FINAL

Having just about got through my own personal pain over the weekend's results something that has got me through it is the prospect of the County Final.

Maybe early to turn our heads to it, but screw it - this one can be talked about till the cows come home.

• Will Dunloy man mark Watson/Laverty then? Is it wise to do this? Robbing Peter to pay Paul?

Will Loughgeil do the same for Paddy Richmond/Dick?

Who will take to the occasion better? Who should be more nervous?

Will there be any more mysterious injuries that rule players out for "five weeks" and then they turn up and play midfield?

I can't bloody wait.

NAG

Glensman

Perfectly said on the League structures, we must have the highest paid service officer of any county team because as far as I can tell that is all our GDM has done since he came in!

Who was the player to come in and play midfield?

To the final
c
Cant see Dunloy making any special arrangements for watson on a good day he might score a goal and 10 points from play, if you restrict the rest of their forwards to a point or a couple of points each thats still not a massive target? what you reckon.

IMO Dunloy will attempt to screw the rest of the forwards to the floor and then try and work with watson.

Loughgiel should be worried about their back line. Barney is struggling with an injury and isnt the force he was. Gillian in corner back seems to give alot of fouls away and their two wing half backs can be dominated in the air on the puck outs as dunloy showed both first and second halfs in the group game.

Think Dunloys improvement this year is that they are winning more ball in the half foward line where they struggled last year and allowed teams to get on top of them from there. The wide open spaces should suit Dunloy with their more accurate speedy brand of hurling. Thin loughgiel will be coming with an agressive game plan hit first ask questions later which seemed to be the policy against ballycaslte. But Dunloy are no ballycatle and they wont be bullied or pushed out of anything they have too much experience and nouse when it comes to the big occasion.

Tough tight match with experience telling both ways!

Ruairi Og exile

Loughgiel played a two man full forward line against B/castle & brought their spare man back. Although I'm not sure if that was just a ploy to leave space for Dumb Dumb & Joey Sculllion as the ballycastle back line is quite slow. Think they might do that again to try & cut down any ball going into Dunloy's Full forward line. If they do this then the spare man Dunloy will have could play round the half back line to cut down the space on wee winker watson(as they used to say). Heard Patch marked him over in Dunloy in the group stages so they might leave him on Watson or they could do what did on Ben O'Connor a few years ago & bring Micky McClements out of corner back.

Not sure about Dunloys backline either...they seem to miss the presence of big mal there.