Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

For the record ...not once did I state Slaughtneils success was down to outside management. I factually stated they have outside management and that IMO its a practice I fundamentally disagree with because I believe that it's harmful to the GAA in general. The fact that it's pervasive in many areas doesn't change my thinking on the topic. Perhaps it was for another day ... but I've seen so many references to people mentioning their achievement serving as an example to all clubs and you think ....'ummmm yes absolutely... in alot of ways ... but not that part....'.

If anyone chooses to reread my initial post on this subject, they will see that my over riding feeling is one of delight for them winning yesterday, but I should have known, there's no headline in that.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Parent

Massive congrats to Slaughtneil !! Such a great & very emotional game for all involved. Thomas (RIP) would have been so proud.

Yes They are winning in 3 codes ....why?  Just visit their grounds any night of the week to see the buzz & crowd of young & older footballers/hurlers/camogie players on the pitch Its a community without a shop or pub Maybe thats why they see GAA as a way of life!

Delighted to see a Derry Team win an Ulster Hurling title & maybe now the Derry Board will start to give Hurling the same respect they give  Derry football. I live in hope

Hectic

Personally I am not against the idea of outside coaches/managers in a horses for courses sort of way.  Yes in an ideal world every club would have people of the pedigree who have the time and the respect of the players to step in and drive their club forward but this is not always the case.  In the case of SN they have an Ulster title to justify their decision and whether or not someone inside the club could have achieved that is hypothetical. I do agree that it is obscene the money some are demanding/ getting mind and I know a couple of young(ish) lads who have ambitions of moving on from reserve team management at their respective clubs to getting into the management game elsewhere for a bit of coin so certainly plenty of mercenaries out there to fill the spots.

north aontroim gael

I have no strong feeling against outside management / coaches etc.  I can't think of any club in the County who haven't availed of input from those outside the club for coaching, strength & conditioning etc.

I was chatting to a mate who has been actively involved in coaching 4 different teams over the past 7 years for different clubs than the one he played with.  I asked him if he ever considers getting involved with his own club and he said that as much as he would love to he wouldn't charge them if he did. He has a young family and a mortgage to pay and he finds the coaching game more enjoyable / lucrative than an evening job.

That's just the way some lads approach it, a source of income.

Hectic

Agree - plus some of the stronger clubs have a wealth of people who could tick the boxes for the role but only one or two are needed at any point in time so it is good to go and get senior level experience elsewhere in this instance.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 24, 2016, 02:01:18 PM
I have no strong feeling against outside management / coaches etc.  I can't think of any club in the County who haven't availed of input from those outside the club for coaching, strength & conditioning etc.

I was chatting to a mate who has been actively involved in coaching 4 different teams over the past 7 years for different clubs than the one he has played with.  I asked him if he ever considers getting involved with his own club and he said that as much as he would love to he said he wouldn't charge them if he did. He has a young family and a mortgage to pay and he finds the coaching game more enjoyable / lucrative than an evening job. That's just the way some lads approach it, a source of income.

I have issues with clubs forking out money on managers
What did the loughgeil massive think of one of there former players managing the SN comogs
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north aontroim gael

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 24, 2016, 02:19:37 PM

I was chatting to a mate who has been actively involved in coaching 4 different teams over the past 7 years for different clubs than the one he has played with.  I asked him if he ever considers getting involved with his own club and he said that as much as he would love to he said he wouldn't charge them if he did. He has a young family and a mortgage to pay and he finds the coaching game more enjoyable / lucrative than an evening job. That's just the way some lads approach it, a source of income.

What did the loughgeil massive think of one of there former players managing the SN comogs

I noticed him with a Sneil top on, said to myself he must be involved with their camogs this year.  Never gave it a second thought after that.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Hectic on October 24, 2016, 02:17:53 PM
Agree - plus some of the stronger clubs have a wealth of people who could tick the boxes for the role but only one or two are needed at any point in time so it is good to go and get senior level experience elsewhere in this instance.

Some will say if you don't get the senior gig then go and take the minors or the U14s etc.  That's OK in theory but some lads want to be involved with the older players to better their experience. No matter what your approach someone will disagree about how best you should do it.

I have no doubt the friend I mentioned will manage his own club some time in the future and he'll be a better manager for his experiences when he does.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 24, 2016, 02:23:08 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on October 24, 2016, 02:19:37 PM

I noticed him with a Sneil top on, said to myself he must be involved with their camogs this year.  Never gave it a second thought after that.
Precisely.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

theskull1

Not every sham would think 'precisely'

north aontroim gael

Quote from: theskull1 on October 24, 2016, 03:06:38 PM
Not every sham would think 'precisely'

I can only give my opinion.  I'll ask Fr. Butler to do a show of hands at mass this weekend to see if we can get any additional responses.  8)

Seamroga in exile

You'd never a see a Dunloy man coaching outside Dunloy sure. Oh wait..   

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 24, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

Good old SIE
Trying to start a Pis-ing match

Is the subject on hand not relation to managers out this weekend
If I had the interest to respond I would

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

theskull1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 24, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

Implication that that should in some way influence my own personal opinion on the subject I take it?  You win again SIE. How do you do it 

Seamroga in exile

Lads, take a look before you hit post.