Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

They are in the senior hurling championship now are they not after winning the intermediate championship last season?
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 25, 2016, 10:33:44 AM
They are in the senior hurling championship now are they not after winning the intermediate championship last season?

Yes they'll be in senior championship - but that could be a one-off from the Intermediate win.
I was more thinking if they have a chance of staying there and becoming a division 1 team long term?

Also it seems Hannahstown have a new found love of hurling with Simon Wilson of Ballycran parachuted in - any talk on this JC?

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 25, 2016, 10:41:00 AM

Yes they'll be in senior championship - but that could be a one-off from the Intermediate win.
I was more thinking if they have a chance of staying there and becoming a division 1 team long term?

Also it seems Hannahstown have a new found love of hurling with Simon Wilson of Ballycran parachuted in - any talk on this JC?

Hadn't heard btdttgt,
He was with Ballycran U14's last year after being unceremoniously dumped from their senior job via a convoluted interview process and relations were strained since then.

Fair play to him, he's not the worst lad in the world.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Depends on what way the league is now. Its one up one down from this season onwards is it not? You would see Ballygalget as the strong favs to gete back up to Div 1 again and with St Galls, Ahoghill, Carey & Glenariffe in that league as well it is a tough ask to get past all them sides.

They look to be building hurling really well at the club but its still seen as a football club first and foremost and it is where the main focus will lie with them.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 25, 2016, 12:12:14 PM

Depends on what way the league is now. Its one up one down from this season onwards is it not? You would see Ballygalget as the strong favs to gete back up to Div 1 again and with St Galls, Ahoghill, Carey & Glenariffe in that league as well it is a tough ask to get past all them sides.

They look to be building hurling really well at the club but its still seen as a football club first and foremost and it is where the main focus will lie with them.

Thought it was 2 up 2 down, but there's still a chance that may change as the year goes on!!!
8)

Bonamargy

As far as I know, it is 2 up 2down, as agreed at 2014 county convention when they voted to change to 8 team leagues in 2016.

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on January 25, 2016, 11:55:28 AM

Hadn't heard btdttgt,
He was with Ballycran U14's last year after being unceremoniously dumped from their senior job via a convoluted interview process and relations were strained since then.

Always wondered where the idea came from to bring in the two outsiders when they were flying last year or maybe was the year before. Looking in from the outside seemed like pure madness and proved to be so.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on January 25, 2016, 03:17:31 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 25, 2016, 11:55:28 AM

Hadn't heard btdttgt,

Always wondered where the idea came from to bring in the two outsiders when they were flying last year or maybe was the year before. Looking in from the outside seemed like pure madness and proved to be so.

I think it was the year before (2014) they were going well league wise
He'd been heavily criticized within Ballycran for his lack of action along the line in the previous years championship (2013) final where they'd a man advantage for the better part of 50 minutes and Portaferry still managed to beat them, so maybe in respect of that he felt he needed a bit more experienced lads along with him in Jonty and the wing.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: cfclg on January 25, 2016, 07:38:06 AM
I have a rant to get off my chest:

See all these people on social media congratulating Coleraine hurlers on their victory in the All Ireland JUNIOR hurling semi. CATCH YOURSELVES ON!

Coleraine were beaten at the quarter final stage of the Derry SENIOR hurling championship by Swatragh in July. Instead of taking their beating like the majority of us and putting the feet up for the winter they decided to use an obvious loophole in the provincial council's rule book and play in an All Ireland JUNIOR competition.

No other provincial council would allow this to happen but I place most of the blame with the club themselves. Its a total disgrace and any victory here will be a shallow one IMO.

End of rant.

total disgrace from our club? at what juncture have we been a proven SENIOR panel? Ourselves and Na Magha made the decision to agree to enter the Derry senior championship. Not on the basis of being too strong for jnr/intermediate but purely down to the fact that we weren't getting too far forming a 2 team 2nd tier.

You are right we took a heavy beating from Swatragh at senior level in exchange for rounding the derry hurling championship out as an 8 team single tier championship. We have played a grand total of TWO senior level teams in championship ever and have lost both. Creggan beat us 2 years ago in the Ulster juniors when we had essentially the same panel. Is this the form of a senior hurling team? Or a junior team? We got well beat in the Ulster intermediate last year by Rossa. We must have forgot we were a bona fide senior team out for a jolly then as well.

Bearing in mind that the county board have alternated ourselves and Na Magha as Derrys junior and intermediate representatives for several years now, and that it was Na Maghas turn to compete at intermediate, what would you have us do for Ulster championship available to us this season, not field? You would do wonders for hurling in our club. Blame the structures that had ourselves and Na Magha switching maybe but why would we not take the competitive route open to us and advance hurling in the club?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

cfclg

It's all very simple whisky, if Derry don't have a junior or intermediate hurling cship then there shouldn't be a Derry representative in either the Junior or Intermediate Ulster competition.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: cfclg on January 25, 2016, 08:13:21 PM
It's all very simple whisky, if Derry don't have a junior or intermediate hurling cship then there shouldn't be a Derry representative in either the Junior or Intermediate Ulster competition.

very simple. and will we expand this logic to Armagh, tyrone etc or just restrict it to Derry? How dare Keady and Carrickmore enter the intermediate championship. Blame those clubs too?

Maybe you could move the rant over to the Derry thread and air your grievances there.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Last Man

After the county meeting tonight Ballinascreen and Eoghan Rua have been parachuted into Div.3 at the expense of Rasharkin and Bredagh. Why is it that anything goes in the hurling league structures year after year. Why can't we vote to leave well alone for a few seasons. This constant tinkering is or has achieved what exactly? It's not immediately clear to me.

Antrim2011

that shouldnt be allowed, wont be suprised if rasharkin and bredagh kick up,, if balinscreen and dungannon want in leagues they should play rasharkin/bredagh in a match and that should decide it

Kid Twist

I think it is eoghan ruadh, Dungannon not Coleraine.

Antrim2011

yeah dungannon,, still shouldnt be allowed