Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesusjones

Megaman

dont know what this nonsense about "the cushendall crowd" is all about

i know for a fact that no matter who is manager next year Cushendall will supply the County Panel 4/5/6/7/8 committed players like they always have.

Infact i think it should be PJ, then hopefully there will be no excuses / BS for players not committing to the county.

if he doesnt pick C'dall players (i know he will though) then all the better for us.

Seamroga in exile

He'd definitely pick Cushendall players. It would be folly not to.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Megaman

i know he would, and any Cushendall player that really wanted to play for Antrim would go.

Hand up

I wouldn't be so Confident of that Megaman, we have 2 lads who are retiring and one who has lost interest, so the only players sure to go are Ryan and Carson, but maybe you know better.
I feel the Southern route could be better, and even take PJ and Shane along with them, is that a thought?

MoChara

O'Mullan "interested" in Saffrons vacancy
05 August 2015

Loughgiel manager PJ O'Mullan. INPHO
Loughgiel Shamrocks' PJ O'Mullan jnr has declared his interest in taking over from Kevin Ryan as Antrim senior hurling manager.

Waterford native Ryan will step down as soon as the Saffrons' participation in the All-Ireland U-21 HC comes to an end.

And, speaking to The Irish News, All-Ireland club winning manager O'Mullan revealed: "Right now, my sole focus is Loughgiel but it's certainly something I'd be interested in doing.

"I've already been asked by a few people about it. There's no point in me saying I'm not interested."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=242130

getevennotcross

Quote from: MoChara on August 06, 2015, 12:55:55 PM
05 August 2015

Loughgiel Shamrocks' PJ O'Mullan jnr has declared his interest in taking over from Kevin Ryan as Antrim senior hurling manager.

Waterford native Ryan will step down as soon as the Saffrons' participation in the All-Ireland U-21 HC comes to an end.

And, speaking to The Irish News, All-Ireland club winning manager O'Mullan revealed: "Right now, my sole focus is Loughgiel but it's certainly something I'd be interested in doing.

"I've already been asked by a few people about it. There's no point in me saying I'm not interested."

I dare say PJ would be more likely to achieve success with Loughgiel rather than Antrim, at  least he could be assured of buy in from his own club players.  The Dall men could troublesome for PJ if they don't get their way, given past shenanigans.  Just a thought!  (Not that I have anything against Dall men of course)

Hand Up - A Southerner, PJ and Shane, a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, don't you think?

Milltown Row2

Is Shane a coach or a manager? two very different things in my opinion. Pj it seems is very much a manager (looking in) a manager needs to be viewing training sessions rather than setting them up and planning them.... The manager needs to sit with the coach and explain his views on the style of play and the coach plans drills exercises and whatever else to get that game plan up and running..

With us being in  the Christy Ring, staying local isn't a bad thing and could work out well for all involved.. a possible final in Croke park as bait I'd imagine there would be some managers wanting a crack at that for sure....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Megaman

Quote from: getevennotcross on August 06, 2015, 04:37:41 PM
Quote from: MoChara on August 06, 2015, 12:55:55 PM
05 August 2015

I dare say PJ would be more likely to achieve success with Loughgiel rather than Antrim, at  least he could be assured of buy in from his own club players.  The Dall men could troublesome for PJ if they don't get their way, given past shenanigans.  Just a thought!  (Not that I have anything against Dall men of course)

Hand Up - A Southerner, PJ and Shane, a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, don't you think?

i know i shouldnt as i know you are just a WUM, but i will.

Can you maybe explain that comment a bit further, im just at a loss to understand it or maybe ive missed something, even by PM if you prefer.

doodaa

Quote from: getevennotcross on August 05, 2015, 06:20:20 PM
  Until such underlying hostilities between clubs like Dall and Loughgiel are addresses, the status quo will remain.

Lads, as a Derry man with an interest in Antrim hurling where does the hostility between Loughgiel and Cushendall stem from? Is it a recent thing or did something spark it way back when?

hurlingstick

They're close geographically and arguably the two best teams in the county. Hurling is the only sport in the two areas and is the backbone of their respective communities. All you've to do now is add in the history of battles between the two on the hurling field and there is the answer.

doodaa

Thanks for the reply hurlingstick.
So its a standard run of the mill rivalry that you would see in most counties?.
It certainly doesn't sound like it should affect the county team as much as some posters are suggesting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 07, 2015, 12:50:53 PM
They're close geographically and arguably the two best teams in the county. Hurling is the only sport in the two areas and is the backbone of their respective communities. All you've to do now is add in the history of battles between the two on the hurling field and there is the answer.

Dunloy Loughgiel I'd have thought was a stronger rivalry!! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Doodaa it would be nothing any worse than any rivalries in Derry - in fact maybe wouldn't be as bad. It does seem at the minute that the "high profile" players from both clubs don't get on and if you listened to people then one high profile player in particular hasn't been picked on the back of this. This appears to have exarcerbated things a lot.

Dunloy Loughgiel would surely be worse with the 5 in row banners etc when Loughgiel were losing a run of finals.

Na Glinntí Glasa

whilst i always want lgiel to be beat as our rivals at the same time there's no hostility between the two clubs. Both have a good respect for one another and work well at all levels, esp at under age level.

At the recent McGarry cup match our seniors were fed and watered after the games by Lgiel club with a great feed afterwards that any club would of been proud of.

We dont wish each other to win anything but we still respect one anothers achievements.
hurl like f**k boi!