Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonamargy

Quote from: sylvieslynanesnutsack on August 22, 2014, 12:45:19 PM
Definitely, will be a big weekend. Carey v Clooney Gaels this Sunday will be interesting to a lot of people. Bit of mileage clocked up the following weekend between Saturday night and Sunday. I see referees all named for Championship except Naomh Gall v Clooney Gaels.

With us having no game today and the weather being good, I wanted to see a game of hurling, so we went up and watched Carey V Clooney Gaels. Despite having a man harshly sent off after 20 minutes, having played 15 v 14 for most of the game, before Clooney got a man sent off with 5 mins to go, Carey absolutely destroyed them 6-11 to 3-6. I spoke to some spectators from both teams, Clooney were just about at full strength, and the Carey supporters said that they had a lot of injuries during the league and are just getting their full team out now.  Can't see Clooney beating St Galls on this performance, Carey were impressive and surely a challenger to Rossa in the intermediate.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bonamargy on August 24, 2014, 08:27:59 PM
Definitely, will be a big weekend. Carey v Clooney Gaels this Sunday will be interesting to a lot of people. Bit of mileage clocked up the following weekend between Saturday night and Sunday. I see referees all named for Championship except Naomh Gall v Clooney Gaels.

With us having no game today and the weather being good, I wanted to see a game of hurling, so we went up and watched Carey V Clooney Gaels. Despite having a man harshly sent off after 20 minutes, having played 15 v 14 for most of the game, before Clooney got a man sent off with 5 mins to go, Carey absolutely destroyed them 6-11 to 3-6. I spoke to some spectators from both teams, Clooney were just about at full strength, and the Carey supporters said that they had a lot of injuries during the league and are just getting their full team out now.  Can't see Clooney beating St Galls on this performance, Carey were impressive and surely a challenger to Rossa in the intermediate.

While the weather was piss and the pitch heavy I thought Carey were ordinary against Creggan. Rossa are well ahead in the league and racked up a big score today also. They may meet in the final but Glenariffe be happy enough that no one is talking them up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2014, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: Bonamargy on August 24, 2014, 08:27:59 PM

While the weather was piss and the pitch heavy I thought Carey were ordinary against Creggan. Rossa are well ahead in the league and racked up a big score today also. They may meet in the final but Glenariffe be happy enough that no one is talking them up

Must be my red diesel sylvie!

I agree.
I would like to see Rossa win but glenarrife will be delighted how they approach the championship as underdogs and yet more than able For Rossa.
Carey perhaps in same boat - sure that's what makes championship!

btdtgtt

Who said they'd be delighted with their league? Where is that written?

Being delighted to be underdogs for championship is a totally different thing.

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2014, 10:48:51 PM
So what does 'approach the championship' mean? I'm interested.

Have you seen them in some secret friendly games?

It means they approach the championship?
And as underdogs it's a nice way to prepare for a game.
I have no idea what you are, or are not getting here.

Megaman

i would be very surprised if glenariffe won the intermediate, they are a pale shadow of the poor team they used to be.

i would fancy Rossa to win it.

Seniors, lougheil at a canter.

Last Man

Quote from: Megaman on August 25, 2014, 09:29:25 AM
i would be very surprised if glenariffe won the intermediate, they are a pale shadow of the poor team they used to be.

i would fancy Rossa to win it.

Seniors, lougheil at a canter.
+1, they duffed St.Pauls yesterday who have been going better of late.

Minder

I would be stunned if we won the Intemediate championship, I can assure you our league campaign is a good barometer of our level at the minute. No extenuating circumstances, injuries, players away etc.

It is what it is.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on August 25, 2014, 10:57:46 AM
I would be stunned if we won the Intemediate championship, I can assure you our league campaign is a good barometer of our level at the minute. No extenuating circumstances, injuries, players away etc.

It is what it is.

Rossa, Glenariffe and Carey to get past their teams with a bit to spare, the other game will be a lot tighter, Armoy v St Pauls. Providing St Pauls keep 15 on the pitch the whole time they might get over the line
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I agree all being things being constant Rossa should and hopefully will win.
But like I said - it championship. Things happen.
And glenarrife and carey will relish the chance of an upset.
Will also be interested to see if st endas underage efforts are bearing any fruit - and if St. Paul's or Lamh dearg produce anything.

Also agree the volunteer cup is destined for loughgiel - a record breaking win which at this stage would be an indisputable and wholly deserved place in the history books.

The junior championship is perhaps most susceptible to a surprise?

Last Man

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 25, 2014, 11:35:11 AM
I agree all being things being constant Rossa should and hopefully will win.
But like I said - it championship. Things happen.
And glenarrife and carey will relish the chance of an upset.
Will also be interested to see if st endas underage efforts are bearing any fruit - and if St. Paul's or Lamh dearg produce anything.

Also agree the volunteer cup is destined for loughgiel - a record breaking win which at this stage would be an indisputable and wholly deserved place in the history books.

The junior championship is perhaps most susceptible to a surprise?
Not as good a crop as we would have hoped or need, only one of our A grade minors has made it through to senior and although our minors are in B this season we do have young Conlon who is one of the best in the county. Just not enough to push on.

btdtgtt

How do you think it will pan out over the next number of years last man?
Will st endas become a strong intermediate or even senior?
Or is minor the limit?
So hard without the tradition of hurling - no disrespect intended.
Do the young lads stop playing?
Do any go elsewhere?

Last Man

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 25, 2014, 12:56:34 PM
How do you think it will pan out over the next number of years last man?
Will st endas become a strong intermediate or even senior?
Or is minor the limit?
So hard without the tradition of hurling - no disrespect intended.
Do the young lads stop playing?
Do any go elsewhere?
I think we'll struggle, it's just so hard to get them through with the lack of as you so rightly say hurling tradition. Its just seen as a leisure time activity for most with so few hurling families in the club trying to promote it. 10 years ago i'd have been predicting strong intermediate level for us by now but I now know that this takes a level of grit and determination that we cant seem to grasp.

btdtgtt

Similar story for the best city teams when it comes to competing at the top level - galls understand what's needed I think but the dual issue stops it being feasible.

Bonamargy

Some predictions for the craic, what do you think?

Senior Championship:

Ballycastle V Dunloy - Town by 2
Loughgiel V Cushendall - Shams by 7
St Galls V Clooney - Galls by 8
Cloughmills V Sarsfields - Biddies by 1

Intermediate Championship

Rossa V St Endas - Rossa by 20+
St Paul's V Armoy - St Paul's by 3
Carey V Lamh Dhearg - Carey by 6
Glenariff V Gortnamona - Osian by 5