"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

johnneycool

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 14, 2013, 02:25:18 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on October 14, 2013, 02:14:46 PM
Match in Celtic park. Throw in 2:30 Sunday the 27th
please tell me you're joking.

Is it two hours from the pound?
;)

Could they not have played this the same day as the Antrim Down Ulster final that no one gives a fúck about?

Ports didn't play Rossa yesterday due to a death of someone involved in either club, not sure who.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 14, 2013, 02:28:55 PM

;)

Could they not have played this the same day as the Antrim Down Ulster final that no one gives a fúck about?

Ports didn't play Rossa yesterday due to a death of someone involved in either club, not sure who.

An hour for the other team, be grand, might head down. Be a typical physical Derry team, all their footballers playing no doubt, lacking skill but plenty of fight. Though that's the downfall as they normally (Derry teams) lose a man
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2013, 02:52:21 PM

;)

An hour for the other team, be grand, might head down. Be a typical physical Derry team, all their footballers playing no doubt, lacking skill but plenty of fight. Though that's the downfall as they normally (Derry teams) lose a man

Plenty of footballers on the St Galls teams and I'd never had that preconception that they were physical, plenty of fight, but lacking in skill.
Why so the Derry hurlers or is it just footballers who also play hurling in general?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 14, 2013, 04:10:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2013, 02:52:21 PM

;)

Plenty of footballers on the St Galls teams and I'd never had that preconception that they were physical, plenty of fight, but lacking in skill.
Why so the Derry hurlers or is it just footballers who also play hurling in general?

Whe was the last time you played the Derry teams? I've always found them to be more phyiscal than the Antrim teams, when we do have a full team out we are a big team, though if truth be told our 'footballers' are competent hurlers who won juvenile hurling championships right through to minor and played in 2 under 21 finals.

The last few Derry v Antrim finals in Ulster have always resulted in hard games some even come close like Dungiven and lose out in the end, I expect this to be the same, Slaughtneil  hammered us a while back, though it was the Ulster league they were very good
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

I'm questioning your preconceptions and generalisations of Derry teams, the very same way Antrim and Northern teams are generally thought of a dirty when they head south and invariably you can see that at play in the back of a referees mind at times.

Just thinking...

Who'll referee that one?

Has Gerry Devlin thankfully gave up on the whistling?

Ballybredagh

Geez Johnney, you've a short memory about Devlin. You had him to thank for for winning the Ulster Club title in 98/99 when he played on deep into added time until the Galget got an equaliser to take the final to a reply. Ballycastle (who were there by default) were raging with him and you won the replay.

Have to say you are spot on with most of your observations and your analysis is normally excellent, but you should be more grateful to Gereard Devlin!

P.S. Bredagh are looking for a new coach/manager. Interested?

CSC

Really interested about Antrim's perceptions on Derry hurling.

I'm an Antrim man, educated in Derry, and....

At the time I went there, they viewed the Derry style of hurling as closer to the Southern boys, i.e. skillful hurlers who physically assert themselves when going for a ball, while they always considered Antrim hurling as being skillfully superior to Derry, but lacking in balls in regards to physically going for the ball.

Regarding skill levels, they put that down to Antrim having a true hurling culture in the glens & Belfast where hurling is the no one sport in the clubs and therefore have a greeter pool of players to pull from, whereas Derry and Down have considerably smaller hurling areas in a football dominated county, therefore a smaller skill base to pick from.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 14, 2013, 04:36:04 PM
I'm questioning your preconceptions and generalisations of Derry teams, the very same way Antrim and Northern teams are generally thought of a dirty when they head south and invariably you can see that at play in the back of a referees mind at times.

Just thinking...

Who'll referee that one?

Has Gerry Devlin thankfully gave up on the whistling?

No preconceptions have played Derry teams over the years and watched them play in the Ulster club championships and the college games, it's at that level were they are at there most skillful if I'm to be honest, they play a great brand of hurling and the teams I played against for a few years at Minor (they played in the Antrim leagues for a while) and I think Lavey won the league one year, Skull could probably tell you better.

It's when they get to the senior grade and start playing football that the skill eventually leaves, I didn't say they were dirty in my posts, I said they are more physical and their Antrim cousins, no malice in my post just an observation from my experience. There have been some cracking hurlers over the years and when they beat Antrim in the Ulster final that team was as good a second tier team as you would have found, which (as a mad hurling fan) leaves me raging as they have the tools but don't have the commitment.

CSC believe it or not but Belfast is a football 'County' where one club (Rossa) is mainly considered a hurling club. Loughgiel Dunloy and Cushendall are not teams that I'd consider lack balls when trying to win the ball. You can be a hard foolish man going for a ball or a hard smart man and win the ball another way.

manballandall

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manballandall on October 14, 2013, 08:12:17 PM
Balls

Which bit my good friend? you played them I put you on one game up there few years ago lol

glens73

Talking about Derry hurlers, I always thought that Henry Downey was a super player, even better than he was as a footballer.

manballandall

Sorry bad timing. That was in reply to CSC not your good self . All about timing