Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

AICHSF's have always been on the second weekend in Feb as far as I can recall
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Quote from: saffron89 on February 05, 2013, 04:59:18 PM
hard to believe the semi finals nearly here.  Weather absolutely shite, hope it doesn't spoil the contest.  the fact that this is thee most prestigious club event in the calendar and to have it played in this weather makes you wonder.  Even holding off to start of March.  It does seem that little bit earlier this year.

I'd say shams are ready, hear even experience timing of lights etc in Casement. 

tough one to call i reckon, couple of points to either side no real surprise

Couldn't agree more!
It's the dis-respect shown to the majority of gaa people as club members and the so-called core unit of the club.
Sacrificed for rte and glamour day out £$£.

Run the county season off quicker and allow more calendar time to club hurling.
Leave the dark winter to rest and recuperate.

From Lar Corbett;
"Every field in Ireland is nearly unplayable - they're calling off race meetings but hurling matches? Play away," the Tipperary star is quoted as saying in The Irish Examiner.
"You have humans calling off animals but humans are saying to humans, play away! You wouldn't put a horse out in it!"

Seamroga in exile

Agh, man up and get on with it.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

theskull1

Its probably too 'windy' for Lar at this time of year  ;D

btdtgtt

In fairness to hurler of his calibre I think he has shown he can man up and play in all conditions - otherwise he would never have reached the standard he has.

The point remains tho - the county season is too long and takes too much time off the nuts and bolts of the GAA - clubs!

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 07, 2013, 07:27:59 PM
In fairness to hurler of his calibre I think he has shown he can man up and play in all conditions - otherwise he would never have reached the standard he has.

The point remains tho - the county season is too long and takes too much time off the nuts and bolts of the GAA - clubs!

btdtgtt, I would have an issue with the county season BUT ONLY in the summer months due to the subsequent shoe horning of club championships when they're all done. Thats where the big problem is IMO. I have never heard anyone whinge around here about the time of year the AIC series is played. In fact I think many would prefer it due to the space and time they have to prepare.

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on February 08, 2013, 08:06:46 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on February 07, 2013, 07:27:59 PM

btdtgtt, I would have an issue with the county season BUT ONLY in the summer months due to the subsequent shoe horning of club championships when they're all done. Thats where the big problem is IMO. I have never heard anyone whinge around here about the time of year the AIC series is played. In fact I think many would prefer it due to the space and time they have to prepare.

When you look at the types of pitches these games are played on now it isnt as big a problem as it used to be. The sand based pitch has giving Hurling especially, life around this time of the year. As skull points out maybe it isnt the type of conditions a player like LC would look forward too.

btdtgtt

Yes I take both points fully.
My point is not confined to the All-Ire Club Stages - and I appreciate pitches have improved. Indeed they are likely to be better in Feb than they are in Oct/Nov due to climate and the surface has had a rest in Nov-Jan rather than havinjg been used all season.
The main argument for me is that many club championships aroung Ireland cannot get started until September. This relegates them to little more than quick play-offs, or else a final played in boggy conditions in November.
Given that much of the receeding year has also been hindered by county activity - this has further relegated the club scene to basically a side-show.
For me clubs have always been the core unit of the GAA, and the vast majority of members are involved in clubs not county.
Therefore it deserves more calender time throughout the year - simples.

theskull1

Agreed

Its not making money for the paid Gaels so club is merely a means to an end for the upper echelons

Seamroga in exile

Well lads, not long to go now. The butterflies have well and truly set in. I'm leaving early tomorrow to make it to Craobh Chiarain for 2pm to watch the first semi. I think K/K will beat Thurles by 5 or 6 points. Call it a hunch.  ;)

All the Loughgiel lads are fit and ready to go. As you'd expect, they've been training harder and more than ever. If you set the standard you have to improve upon it to keep winning. St Thomas' are a very good team and will be up for it big time. But so are we. It will be close and tough but I think we've enough to get to the final. I fancy us by 3 - 4 points.

Any of you lads heading down?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Similar plan to you SiE except going to watch 1st semi in a bar at main road closer to st Vincent's.
I am driving tho!

I fancy thurles to beat kk and the shamrocks - possibly with a few scores in hand.
Good luck!

Tony Baloney

Milltown Row2

Yeah tight game, semi finals usually are. The amount of draws at this stage have been uncanny!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lecale2

Good luck to the Ulster champions!

north_antrim_hound

Good luck to the shams, if you play like last year no reason not to get to final.

Time to put on hold local rivalries as LG are representing Antrim as well.

SIE will you be posting updates as I'm working wont get to see TV
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets