Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

agree with both posts above. the clubs rely on the big gates. ours would be v loughgiel, cushendall and ballycastle.

to say give us away to lgiel, lgiel would prob have to get away to cushendall. we would then need cdall at home etc etc. creates a nightmare for the fixtures. also we have football to consider as well into the middle of it, same as rossa and st johns.

nice idea but wouldnt work. clubs need the £££ to stay alive and the home gates v loughgiel esp for our derby game is a big one, and vise versa for loughgiel
hurl like f**k boi!

BlackandAmber

think they're missin the point. Its not the league is the problem. They need to do something about the championship. To win the championship Loughgeil played 4 games --- Rossa and  Glenariff from Div 2 and ST Johns and Dunloy. Dunloy played 3 games Ballycastle Cushendall and the final.  9 teams in Senior championship

That looks like it stays the same. If its a round robin is that a 9 team round robin or will the have 2 groups? at least a 9 team round robin gives more games up from 14 league and possibly only 1 championship to 11 league and 8 championship.

edit on the ££££s clubs would lose
and the championship round robin games could be the reverse league fixtures. like if the Town was away to Dunloy in the league part they'd be home in the championship part and so on

assuming that top 4 after round robin would be in semi finals on neutral ground

johnneycool

Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 09, 2012, 01:16:28 PM
think they're missin the point. Its not the league is the problem. They need to do something about the championship. To win the championship Loughgeil played 4 games --- Rossa and  Glenariff from Div 2 and ST Johns and Dunloy. Dunloy played 3 games Ballycastle Cushendall and the final.  9 teams in Senior championship

That looks like it stays the same. If its a round robin is that a 9 team round robin or will the have 2 groups? at least a 9 team round robin gives more games up from 14 league and possibly only 1 championship to 11 league and 8 championship.

and the championship round robin games could be the reverse league fixtures. like if the Town was away to Dunloy in the league part they'd be home in the championship part and so on

Do the county board not lift the gate money at championship games in Antrim?

BlackandAmber

Quote from: johnneycool on October 09, 2012, 01:20:32 PM
Quote from: BlackandAmber on October 09, 2012, 01:16:28 PM

Do the county board not lift the gate money at championship games in Antrim?

doh!

yes.  :-[

BlackandAmber

dont suppose the county would give that up  :o

theskull1

It would be really nice if these proposals could be explained...in terms of how this is going to help the game flourish? Certainly looks like change for change sake. Unless the 4 coming up all feel that they are more than able to compete and commit properly to Div1 hurling then for their own good and the good of everyone else they shouldnt be there.

The concern about losing the compeditiveness of Div1 as it is at present (as much as people will agree/disagree on the standard, most games are well fought) is a valid one I believe. I'd like to hear the committees take on that as well as the loss of gates to clubs.

And as much as we may not like the fact that only 9 clubs play senior championship, the round robin games of the past were far from what you would call 'championship' as you had 2 strong and one weak club in each section with two coming out of it.

Quote from: wino on October 09, 2012, 12:48:33 PM
the only way it will work if all clubs give full commitment and the weaker teams improve their senior teams and underage structures so that on a long term basis they become more competitive. Maybe that's the long term aim but i remain very dubious.

+1 ......not a quick and easy fix.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

I can't see the clubs buying it to be fair, Rossa won the league, job done. I think a fairer option is the 2 up, 2 down no play offs.

But I did warn you that plans were being made up, with Jim behind this poposal will Loughgiel reject it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BlackandAmber

true enough skull.

but being real we have a 2 tear system anyway. Loughgeil Cushendall and Dunloy and then the rest.

Being biassed Ballycastle might start pushing them in the next year or so and Rossa and St Galls too if they keep there squads together. Have St Johns not some good young lads too. Dont know about Glenariff tho.
But thats all ifs and buts. We can be pretty sure that the top 3 will stay there mostly cos they put the work in and thats where it counts. So I dont know if the county can really do anythin to make things more competative except get teams more games.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on October 09, 2012, 01:48:48 PM
It would be really nice if these proposals could be explained...in terms of how this is going to help the game flourish? Certainly looks like change for change sake. Unless the 4 coming up all feel that they are more than able to compete and commit properly to Div1 hurling then for their own good and the good of everyone else they shouldnt be there.

The concern about losing the compeditiveness of Div1 as it is at present (as much as people will agree/disagree on the standard, most games are well fought) is a valid one I believe. I'd like to hear the committees take on that as well as the loss of gates to clubs.

And as much as we may not like the fact that only 9 clubs play senior championship, the round robin games of the past were far from what you would call 'championship' as you had 2 strong and one weak club in each section with two coming out of it.

Quote from: wino on October 09, 2012, 12:48:33 PM
the only way it will work if all clubs give full commitment and the weaker teams improve their senior teams and underage structures so that on a long term basis they become more competitive. Maybe that's the long term aim but i remain very dubious.

+1 ......not a quick and easy fix.

Both Dunloy and Loughgiel from minor down haven't been too impressive of late, is that because of poor underage structures? How are the other clubs doing? I know Cushendall have been very steady
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2012, 02:09:27 PM
Both Dunloy and Loughgiel from minor down haven't been too impressive of late, is that because of poor underage structures? How are the other clubs doing? I know Cushendall have been very steady

I our case would have to say yes. More to the point .... not enough will in the adult population to create and be part of the proper structure. Things improving a bit.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

But it sort of kills the reasoning behind Wino's post

optimus cheese

The way I'm reading it is that if it's a 12 team D1 then that =11 games.
The c'ship will be all D1 with round robin, say 2 groups of 6 on a league basis, means whoever in your group you played away, you are then home at this stage. All in between these games you have 16 league/rd robin.
That's 2 extra games, means that clubs near the bottom playing the top teams are less likely to just say 'eff it, we are getting beaten anyway' and home in on teams in and around them.
Does this not mean more competitive and meaningful games throughout the year.
Not sure how the league places will tie in with the round robin groups but say the top 3 and bottom 3 in Group A, then mid 6 in Group B. The likelihood is that C'dall,L'giel and Dunloy will still all play each other home and away anyway.
Top 4 in each qualify for the QFs and are seeded depending where they finish in a group or have open draw, maybe leave it that you can't face a team from your group in QFs or whatever.
The more I think about this I like it but only thing I'm not so keen on is the relegation proposal. Bottom goes down and 2nd bottom maybe playoff v 2nd top in D2

CitySlicker11

BlackandAmber

optimus

as CitySlicker says first off the 12 Div 1 teams include 3 Down teams and next as johnneycool pointed out the clubs lose income cos the county take championship gates.

but hey, Antrim & Galway play in the Leinster championship so maybe the Down teams should play in th Antrim championship. Might be more compative.

btdtgtt

I seriously doubt the down teams are going to give up the down championship as their gateway to ulster. At the minute they have just one game to beat a big gun in Antrim and that's them in an all Ireland semi.