Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizzy15

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 04, 2012, 11:16:18 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 04, 2012, 11:10:29 PM
Did anyone know anything about that focus group chaired by Nelson?

Sounds like another talking shop, with the associated travelling expenses.

That's the group that will want to do away with div boards, me thinks. As I had said the other day(the div boards may be no longer). Work was underway to solve the problem had by 1 of the div boards, to answer your question skull I had heard something was going on?? But dunno exactly what

bannside

"Sounds like another talking shop, with the associated travelling expenses".

Bit harsh that comment. Some of those guys on that forum have dedicated their lives to hurling promotion either at club or county level. Surely its a brainstorming focus group that hopefully will point things towards a better hurling foundation across the county.

I`d go as far as to say none of them would submit a mileage claim for the like of this. Good luck to them.

Last Man

Quote from: bannside on October 05, 2012, 09:13:47 AM

Bit harsh that comment. Some of those guys on that forum have dedicated their lives to hurling promotion either at club or county level. Surely its a brainstorming focus group that hopefully will point things towards a better hurling foundation across the county.

I`d go as far as to say none of them would submit a mileage claim for the like of this. Good luck to them.
I hear that this group are looking at how to improve standards throughout the county but at the end of the day nothing will change unless their recommendations secure 75% of the vote at convention. Have only heard Nelson's name mentioned as chair

the colonel

Some have taken a 20 years break.................
the difference between success and failure is energy

Minder

Quote from: Last Man on October 05, 2012, 09:32:59 AM

I hear that this group are looking at how to improve standards throughout the county but at the end of the day nothing will change unless their recommendations secure 75% of the vote at convention. Have only heard Nelson's name mentioned as chair

Johnny McIntosh is also involved.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the colonel

Pat Hamill, John Campbell, Liam Donnelly and Dessie Donnelly also included
the difference between success and failure is energy

btdtgtt

Very familiar woth some of the people involved and never heard of others.

Anyone knowledgeable enough on here to give us a run-down of who exactly is on this group and what their backgrounds are?
If that sounds negative believe me it's not, it genuine, good luck to the group maybe they'll do something (anything) to bring us forward?
"Better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

theskull1

Whatever conclusions they draw will need to be grounded by evidence rather than meer personal opinion and any ideas/recommendations will need to be ones that when articulated properly, convince the hearts and minds of those who will have to carry them out for them to work out as they'd want them to. 

E.G.
I personally think there'd be nothing wrong with the divisional boards as they are IF SW antrim got to the point where they were better organised and accepted that collectively they need to work together in the best interests of the game(s). So I hope they don't come out with the standard patter about there NEEDING to be these all county leagues from U12 up without taking into consideration the possibility of an improved SW board or indeed considering the addition travelling costs and times for clubs if such a thing came about.

Will be interesting to see what their views are regarding the development squads. Would expect that we'd be comparing what we're able to deliver in Antrim and compare that to a successful template from a county with a similar playing population and demography to ourselves
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Spoke to one of the lads involved in this recently and he mentioned various ideas about improving hurling in Antrim and tapping into the funds that are available in Croke park. Only way to tap into these funds is to come up with a plan, Dublin did it and have reaped benefits with their underage teams competing (well not last week) with Munster and the rest of the big teams and their seniors have made great strides in recent years.

There may be a look at divisional changes and a broader look at clubs efforts in training teams and bringing teams up a level or two. Mix in the success of Loughgiel and should clubs buy into it the we can all improve the standard of hurling (but only during the day time as apparently ya can't hurl at night!!!)

Anything is better than what we have and as someone has said the standard has not risen in twenty years (county level) and this is down to coaching at club level initially and then the county teams.

As Skull has said personal opinion and any ideas/recommendations to higher leagues needs to be well put before agreed. I'd love our club to be div 1 but we'd be lucky to stay up unless we got our act together
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I heard a rumour about division 1 taking in 4 new teams. A quick glance at the division 2 tables makes it clear only 2 teams could attempt this standard. Would the next 2 clubs or hurling in general benefit from getting tanked every week? I suppose this is what skull means by dealing in facts not opinions.

Divisional boards for my opinion can stay but must always be seconfary bodies rowing in behind the all county agenda - Antrim realty isn't big enought to need 3 regional boards and and 1 whole county. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 05, 2012, 02:49:12 PM
I heard a rumour about division 1 taking in 4 new teams. A quick glance at the division 2 tables makes it clear only 2 teams could attempt this standard. Would the next 2 clubs or hurling in general benefit from getting tanked every week? I suppose this is what skull means by dealing in facts not opinions.

Divisional boards for my opinion can stay but must always be seconfary bodies rowing in behind the all county agenda - Antrim realty isn't big enought to need 3 regional boards and and 1 whole county. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that.

Well the other teams wouldn't be getting tanked by Rossa or Glenariff btdtgtt. wouldn't that be a fair comment?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Well the results prove that alright mr2 yes.

But look at the points tally there is a serious gap between the top 2 and the others. This is caused by consistency across the year rather thank one off potential - and that's the basis of league hurling as opposed to championship.

Galls have proved their one off ability to top level but they can't do it across the year - football's fault not blaming individuals.

On the same basis - sarsfields and others for example are not yet ready for 3pm Sundays in loughiel dunloy etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 05, 2012, 03:46:31 PM

But look at the points tally there is a serious gap between the top 2 and the others. This is caused by consistency across the year rather thank one off potential - and that's the basis of league hurling as opposed to championship.

Galls have proved their one off ability to top level but they can't do it across the year - football's fault not blaming individuals.

On the same basis - sarsfields and others for example are not yet ready for 3pm Sundays in loughiel dunloy etc.

Tanking? oh is that the tanking we give Rossa at the start of the year? The last few games we played Loughgiel Dunloy and the rest in the league will show we were more than capable, in fact I scored the last score to earn a draw against Dunloy the last time we played them in the league!! I'd say we are a far better team now than then. Can you remember Rossa's last league appearances?

So you are saying there is a serious difference in the teams?  I thought you knew a little about hurling, on that note I'll not be taking you seriously anymore :o

To buck you're idea further, who won the Div 1 football title this year?

Taxi  for bghhtteti!!

Seamroga in exile

Busy weekend ahead for us. Away to Cushendall tomorrow and home to Poftaferry on Sunday. Down to the nitty gritty.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2012, 05:27:26 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 05, 2012, 03:46:31 PM

Tanking? oh is that the tanking we give Rossa at the start of the year? The last few games we played Loughgiel Dunloy and the rest in the league will show we were more than capable, in fact I scored the last score to earn a draw against Dunloy the last time we played them in the league!! I'd say we are a far better team now than then. Can you remember Rossa's last league appearances?

So you are saying there is a serious difference in the teams?  I thought you knew a little about hurling, on that note I'll not be taking you seriously anymore :o

To buck you're idea further, who won the Div 1 football title this year?

Taxi  for bghhtteti!!

I think u have read me wrong or you are at the wrong time of the month mr2.

I agreed with ur point that galls are up to this level - but the fact is that over a course of the year they can't maintain it (ie when football championship kicks in)

But don't take my word for it - Rossa & Glenarrife are currently 7 & 8 points ahead of st galls - that's 4 games worth of results where they have been more consistent.
Also st galls have won less than half their games in division 2 - so my point is simply on what basis should they therefore play division 1? Simple!

Now u quote galls performances in championship - but this is again just what I said. Yes galls are capable of peaking for top level games but that's what championship is. League is different it's all about consistency and if u don't accept my point the league table doesn't lie. Won less than half ur games.

I am sure it's frustrating for u not seeing galls reach their potential and as a Belfast man I share this - but that's not the concern of other teams and it doesn't look like its goin to change.

So in short if u can't accept what I am saying it is fact not opinions - phone eagle taxis yourself!