Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesusjones

Well done Ballycastle winning the U-21. Fantastic game of hurling that went right down to the wire and could have went either way. 2 great teams played the game in a good spirit. The only comment I would disagree with was Matthew Donnelly keeping Dominic Delargy quite, Dom scored 1-3 from play, I thought he roasted Donnelly. Funny how opinions differ lol :) Ciaran Clarke was first class for Ballycastle, what a player he'd be for the town and Antrim if he stuck to hurling.

btdtgtt

Fully agree there's more to a antrims problems than the handy excuse of players not motivated for county. And fully agree we have never been further from the top table.

But I am not sure we can blame clubs for not producing players. The clubs have so little time with their players once they go to the county - and don't forget this is happen at such a young age with development squads now. So if the players produced are not good enough then it's not just the fault of hard working club volunteers - as opposed to salaried county officials.

Personally I think a massive failing is the removal of players to an exclusively county set up. This robs them of competitive clubs games in place of endless training after training which becomes robotic without the competitive edge. Also, it reduces the quality of the club scene left behind and therefore limits the amount of quality that can be produced to challenge for and enhance the existing county squad. And just think - this is actually happening at kids level now!

We constantly hear of big players involved in club games throughout the season down south (championship often runs right throughout year with groups etc) when our boys are wrapped in cotton wool with endless training routines while 90% of club games are rendered meaningless.

Fact is lads it is not working - if we keep doing things the same way we get the same results and all that. I personally think the likes of the loughiel boys can see this - so where is their best hope of success in hurling? Throw it all into a tommy Moore assault - and look what happened!
I applaud them for this - and I think cushendall have learned by copying this mantra.

No County is competing without a strong club scene.
Kilkenny cork tipp Galway now Dublin all play sustained meaningful club seasons.

saffron89

Was at the 21 game.  Big delargy had the upper hand 85% of the exchanges with Donnelly.  On reflection maybe more than that.  Some people need to take the blinkers off. 

Jesusjones

Safforn89 your right there but no complaints, Ballycastle were excellent, as were we. Great game and the win will bring Ballycastle on again at senior level. Its getting to the stage where I might throw a few quid on them for the championship. They are looking like a good outside bet. Right enough Dunloy might catch them today in the league with all the U-21's no doubt on the lash last night.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Jesusjones on June 10, 2012, 10:33:01 AM
Safforn89 your right there but no complaints, Ballycastle were excellent, as were we. Great game and the win will bring Ballycastle on again at senior level. Its getting to the stage where I might throw a few quid on them for the championship. They are looking like a good outside bet. Right enough Dunloy might catch them today in the league with all the U-21's no doubt on the lash last night.

Aye think just with the effort of that game last night Dunloy will get them today. Think theres maybe 7 of those boys on the senior. About Donnelly and Delargy think Delargy scored 1-3 v St Kevins too but he set up loads of scores as well catching the ball and passin it off. I did'nt think he got doin that so much. Also that goal was super. Any team would be pleased with it. Some great movemnt and passin. Pulled the Town defense all over the place and big Delargy was smart enuff to know all he had to do was stand still.  As you say too for a tight game it was played right. Think there was one wee show of handbags but that was all. Lot of credit to both teams and referee when I think about it hardly seen him.

Jesusjones

Blackandamber the referee, was it Mc Grath from St. Galls? did have a good game, I could hear him talking to players, he was reasonable and didn't speak down to them or anything, he had a good game too.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Jesusjones on June 10, 2012, 01:01:00 PM
Blackandamber the referee, was it Mc Grath from St. Galls? did have a good game, I could hear him talking to players, he was reasonable and didn't speak down to them or anything, he had a good game too.

Aw jaysus does that mean MR will now be spoutin about gr8 refs from his club too. More n likely never refed a game before either!  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 10, 2012, 01:07:16 PM

Aw jaysus does that mean MR will now be spoutin about gr8 refs from his club too. More n likely never refed a game before either!  ;)

Only one good referee in Naomh Gall :o  Believe he had a blinder as the man in the middle on Friday night
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pdiddy

Big win for Dunloy tonight against Ballycastle, 3-15 to 1-08
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2012, 02:59:06 PM
Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 10, 2012, 01:07:16 PM

Only one good referee in Naomh Gall :o  Believe he had a blinder as the man in the middle on Friday night

No complaints from me MR, mine would all be directed to our minors who were sh!te

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: pdiddy on June 10, 2012, 09:15:03 PM
That's more like the Dunloy we know.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

BlackandAmber

Quote from: pdiddy on June 10, 2012, 09:15:03 PM

I was hopin I could of got to that game and nearly glad I missed it. Heared the Town was pretty poor even with the under 21s playin the night before. Dunloy played v well & the Town just could'nt match them. Fella that was at the game said if Dunloy was playin like that how have they lost there games. The under 21 final was a hard game and I thought Dunloy would mebbe catch them but did'nt think as much as 13 points   :(  Big defeat and hope Michael can lift them for championship.

btdtgtt

Didnt get to any games over the weekend lads - the inlaws wedding was a wasted weekend. Ya know ya try to do the decent thing and the wife still cant be pleased!

Anyway - any reports from the games? What about the city teams?

Anyone hear any gossip regarding the county?

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on June 11, 2012, 09:56:31 AM
Oisins given a scare by Randalstown. 2 points for win all that counts
Sarsfields beaten by Lamh Dhearg Big result for both sides
Rossa hack up against Carey
Next two games are massive for Rossa. 4 points puts them in with a fair shout.

I take it that means Gleanarrife and Galls - would love to see Rossa challenge but still dont see it. How are things post McCullough Hardstation?
Johnnies beaten handy.
Very dissappoiting no? Would have though this would have been a big match to traget for St Johns.

NAG1

Dont think there was any other result other than Ballycran winning easy on the cards.
They would have been confident after putting a big score on Dunloy the week previous.