Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Get off the fence and answer this (directed at whacker..who appears to never want to answer questions posed to him if it doesnt suit him).......what change of fortunes would you two expect to see if these people got their chance at IC?

Are we not arguing of a few points either way?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Im more interested to hear who he names from Div 1 who could contribute to the panel or team to make it better?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 02, 2012, 02:19:23 PM
saffrongael ...milltown row 2...I would respectively suggest that any player who plays in Div 1. week after week, league and championship,is playing at a higher level than Div 3 players,maybe you don't agree. A few years ago combined lower division teams from N.Antrim etc. played in the Senior championship,they were blown away.I could name Div 1 players who should get a chance,and could also name Div 2 and 3 players who are on the team and are obviously not up to it.

So when a Div 2 team beats one of the big Div 1 teams in Championship and runs the other one to a point then those Div 2 players aren't up to it, as you put it.

As Skull has said stop sitting on the fence and name your Div1, 15

as I'm sure you are aware, those combined teams were a farce, they didn't train nor did they give a shit, they were also intermediate and Junior teams who were far more interested in their own championship than playing Loughgiel.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Two questions to answer

1) Just how much better do you think Antrim would be with these players playing. I'm saying it would be a few points either way. The problems are deeper than you're suggesting
2) Who are they

Buswhacker

I know the problems are a good deal deeper,but every little helps. The underlying cause for lack of success in Antrim is the petty inter club jealousies that have existed for years,especially among the top N.Antrim clubs. No one needs look further than response from inside the county after Loughgiel's recent All - Ireland victory,the comments and "aye buttery" are very evident on this forum. We are more concerned with inter club rivalry than success at county level.Can you not see that?

theskull1

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 02, 2012, 04:32:04 PM
I know the problems are a good deal deeper,but every little helps. The underlying cause for lack of success in Antrim is the petty inter club jealousies that have existed for years,especially among the top N.Antrim clubs. No one needs look further than response from inside the county after Loughgiel's recent All - Ireland victory,the comments and "aye buttery" are very evident on this forum. We are more concerned with inter club rivalry than success at county level.Can you not see that?

I can see you don't want to answer direct questions

If you make a statement that you are prepared to stand over it shouldn't be a problem should it? Then we can consider where you are coming from.

Two questions still to answer

1) Just how much better do you think Antrim would be with these players playing?
2) Who are they?

As regards underlying causes ...there are many

Low numbers relative to the strong counties.... playing, coaching and supporters
Only in some areas is it a religion, so lots of take it or leave it players/parents/coaches/supporters (and a lack of these as well in many places)
It takes alot of time and effort to develop good technique in hurlers... if the effort isn't put in early kids will struggle to compete and lose interest as a result
West Belfast social ills & too much choice reduces the possibility of good juveniles commiting to senior in the city.
Poorly run (and funded) development squad system which just goes through the motions. No real passion or ambition put into players at an IC level afaics. (One example. Heard this year that they had arranged to attend an U14 blitz in leinster on a date that NA Feile fixtures were arranged ....how does that happen when you have people in full time positions running the show?) 
etc etc .....

I'm sure club rivalry is as thick in other counties so don't see that it should be THEE big a problem as you say. Players generally have respect for each other

Seamroga in exile

Jaysus boys, have yous not seen enough of Dunloy over the last few years to know not to underestimate them? Remember when they won the championship in 2009, they were going to be stuffed by the Dall in the final after poor performances against Glenariffe and Ballycastle? I can assure you that we won't be underestimating them if our paths cross in this year's championship. And let's not forget the Mushy factor, if he makes it through the "skating on ice" fundraiser of course.  I fancy them to get past Ballycastle with 5 or 6 points to spare.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 02, 2012, 04:32:04 PM

On the line on Sunday for Antrim we had 3 clubs represented, Cushendall, St John's and Dunloy. Oh and Jackie from Naomh Gall ;)

This forum Buswhacker is not the reason why we were beat, sorry hammered, or the reason why we can't compete with the bigger teams.

As for petty inter club jealousies, what county doesn't have them, check out the Tyrone threads FFS, they hate each other and their games always end up on TV or the back pages, they still manage to win the odd All Ireland with Div 2 players to boot!!

As for the response on this forum about Loughgiel's win, forget that, what do you care what someone from Dunloy thinks? For me that's the reason why it drives clubs on. A lot of clubs out there hate Naomh Gall cause they are winning the Championship too much, tough. Don't think our lads give a hoot and will continue to win it as much as the other clubs allow it.

I don't know the set up at County level, do players not have respect for each other or a sense of loyalty to Antrim? I love my club but I'd still like to see the county hurling team improve it's standing.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffronog

hear johnny campbell has hung up the inter county boots, i suppose he has had enough.  his form has been better but still think he would of had something to offer

clootfromthe21

Any word on the knock Hippy took? Would have been a fan of having McManus at centre half but coming to the conclusion we need him in the forwards to win ball. Antrim seemed to take the field very late and had a pretty desultory puck around (although I got in late and may have missed a previous warm up). Good start but heads dropped very quickly after the two goals. Thought Antrim spilled some amount of catches in the first half although McFall caught a few in the second half.

Crowd was pretty pathetic for a team (nominally) in with a chance of getting to a divisional final. Shame if it's true that Johnny Campbell is giving up the county but he has certainly soldiered manfully for the cause over the years.

Would love to know who these Division 1 stars are who aren't getting a crack at the county?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: saffronog on April 02, 2012, 07:33:58 PM
hear johnny campbell has hung up the inter county boots, i suppose he has had enough.  his form has been better but still think he would of had something to offer
You hear right unfortunately, a great servant to Antrim.

I hear from a very good source that the Loughgiel boys were given less than a warm welcome back into the Antrim fold. Half the squad not talking or even looking at them. Sambo has apparently been very frosty towards them. Winker went into the Casement bar after the game on Sunday and said hello to Dick, who in return blanked him and walked out. Apparently morale is low among some of the squad as well, not the LG players, unsurprisingly. I was told Wallace has sat the whole she-bang down and told them to grow and wise up. Jealously alive and well in Antrim it seems. Maybe if certain individuals showed a bit of leadership within the Antrim set up, rather than jealously, and that's what it is btw,  maybe the team's fortunes would improve. Sadly, I can't see things improving anytime soon.   :(
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Minder

Sounds horrendous for them.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron89

yeah JC will be a miss but i suppose a lot of miles on the clock.  Very worried about the spirit in the camp if there are certain groups not pulling together.  All-Ireland club is over, everyone should get over it and move on, the loughgiel lads included.  It is about Antrim now and after Sunday we have our work cut out. this will be a test for Jerry and is back up team.  i would assume the players go back to the clubs now for a while in preparation for the league.  looking forward to it, i reckon the Dall will win the 1st division with glenariffe possibly edging out a few city teams for promotion. Galls will off course be strong, would buy into the lethargic attitude of MR2.  what has happened the dream team in Armagh they seem to have struggled badly in that league

Shamrockman

Didnt make it to game on sunday either, was hoping to get up but didnt work out. So how bad was it? Did anyone come away with any dignity? How did Barney play? I see he came on in the paper..

theskull1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 02, 2012, 09:12:06 PM
Quote from: saffronog on April 02, 2012, 07:33:58 PM
You hear right unfortunately, a great servant to Antrim.

I hear from a very good source that the Loughgiel boys were given less than a warm welcome back into the Antrim fold. Half the squad not talking or even looking at them. Sambo has apparently been very frosty towards them. Winker went into the Casement bar after the game on Sunday and said hello to Dick, who in return blanked him and walked out. Apparently morale is low among some of the squad as well, not the LG players, unsurprisingly. I was told Wallace has sat the whole she-bang down and told them to grow and wise up. Jealously alive and well in Antrim it seems. Maybe if certain individuals showed a bit of leadership within the Antrim set up, rather than jealously, and that's what it is btw,  maybe the team's fortunes would improve. Sadly, I can't see things improving anytime soon.   :(

What a big woman