Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesusjones

Congratulations to Neil Mc Manus, Ulster GAA Writers Hurler Of The Year 2011.

Sleeping giant

Well done Neil Mc Manus. Ulster hurler year
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

saffronog

True but some are cocks, but listen got to thank them for job they do.  Gaa have to do something big in way of communication with ref.  I think the way of rugby with only captains talking.  Interested in other suggestions, the crowd another issue getting out of hand. Two high profile events recently in ulster.  Also end of connaught club final on Sunday, disgusting way ref treated, and this was like teddy bears picnic compared to other events.  Fair play to mc manus hello of hurler.  Pity wasn't few more, even with that attitude.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffronog on November 24, 2011, 08:21:37 PM
True but some are cocks, but listen got to thank them for job they do.  Gaa have to do something big in way of communication with ref.  I think the way of rugby with only captains talking.  Interested in other suggestions, the crowd another issue getting out of hand. Two high profile events recently in ulster.  Also end of connaught club final on Sunday, disgusting way ref treated, and this was like teddy bears picnic compared to other events.  Fair play to mc manus hello of hurler.  Pity wasn't few more, even with that attitude.

Ex players (well ones that played at a decent enough level) who have a love for hurling well get some respect. But trying to them back to do that will be difficult. Two years max at it would be enough to raise the standard and get the respect into the game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffronog

Difficult getting them coaching never mind referee role.  Either way waiting for long term solution, clubs need to be penalized heavily.

btdtgtt

I agree saffronog.

Clubs have simple gotta produce refs in the same way they produce players/mentors.

Existing sanctions like losing fixtures is fair enough.

Once the clubs offer up the refs - then the county has got to have a mechanism to ensure their up to the job.

Mr2 don't forget ray Matthews played county hurling - it didn't help him much!

One other point - we have to address the situation where by a single official, the ref, is expected to control 30players, 2sets of mentors, and god knows what supporters. He is in a vulnerable position as we have seen recently.

And I have no solution to that one!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 24, 2011, 10:59:16 PM
I agree saffronog.

Clubs have simple gotta produce refs in the same way they produce players/mentors.

Once the clubs offer up the refs - then the county has got to have a mechanism to ensure their up to the job.

One other point - we have to address the situation where by a single official, the ref, is expected to control 30players, 2sets of mentors, and god knows what supporters. He is in a vulnerable position as we have seen recently.

Refereeing bog ball so it dosen't surprise me ;)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2011, 11:19:39 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 24, 2011, 10:59:16 PM
I agree saffronog.

" BOG BALL" ? Have never heard that expression. Does this refer to the fine game of Gaelic Football?

aontroim

Quote from: Rasharkin Gael on November 25, 2011, 09:57:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2011, 11:19:39 PM

" BOG BALL" ? Have never heard that expression. Does this refer to the fine game of Gaelic Football?

Yes indeed RG it does - that's the general term used by hurlers to describe the less skillful of the two games  ;)

Rasharkin Gael

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 23, 2011, 11:01:44 PM
Hardly! No northern universities play fitzgibbon any more! Interesting game in final all the same...

2 of the greatest days in my entire GAA life were to watch the Queen's team that beat Maynooth in a Fitzgbbon preliminary at Knockbridge in the early 1980s & then, to top that, getting to a Fitzgibbon Cup final in 1985 against UCC in Croke Park, after beating UCD the day before. They were beaten by 7 points, but no matter - it was some achievement even getting to the final.

QUB were playing divsion 1 universities hurling in those days & they have fallen an almighty way since those heady days.

Last Man

Hirty Darry

Getting down to the business end in the Leinster and Munster Club Hurling Championships.

Any views on how they will go?

btdtgtt

Na piarsaigh & oulart for me.