Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

You really know shite all. But keep her coming lad it's quare craic
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

MR2, are the Galls' men going to give the hurling championship a fair crack next year, or concentrate on the football? I was reading that your club was primarily a hurling club up to the fifties. I see big Aodhan turned up to the county trials. Fair play to him.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

NAG1

Lets not get carried away, being a great athlete will get you to the top in Antrim club hurling but going to the next step is a completely different thing. It not so much about the speed of the body as everyone will be of an equal status more or less, its speed of thought and speed of hand that make the difference at the top level and I am sorry but unless you are used to that from an early age it is very very difficult to pick up.

theskull1

Aidso Gallagher is a very effective hurler who I think would be a useful addition to our county panel.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

I was impressed with him also. He can only strengthen the squad.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on November 17, 2011, 10:10:37 AM
Aidso Gallagher is a very effective hurler who I think would be a useful addition to our county panel.

Unfortunately effective doesnt cut it at the top level skull not having a go at AG he is a great athlete a great footballer and best of all a winner but is just lacking the two things I mentioned which are what makes the difference and are the hardest to coach.

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on November 17, 2011, 10:41:13 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 17, 2011, 10:10:37 AM

Unfortunately effective doesnt cut it at the top level skull not having a go at AG he is a great athlete a great footballer and best of all a winner but is just lacking the two things I mentioned which are what makes the difference and are the hardest to coach.

did you not see the emphasis on "our" above NAG1? More than capable IMO and has more stickwork than you give him credit possibly due to him being a bit unorthodox.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Yeah got the emphasis on our, just doesnt change my opinion on it.

I get that he is unorthodox and not trying to take any credit away from him, just IMO it is just not the type of player that we should be looking for at this time.

btdtgtt

I agree with both of you if that's possible!

NAG is right - I dont think Aodhan G will cut much at senior inter-county level, but as you guys also point out - he is still a better option than some others on the panel of late!

Time will tell lads.

When is county convention / AGM or whatever?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 17, 2011, 11:46:23 AM
I agree with both of you if that's possible!

NAG is right - I dont think Aodhan G will cut much at senior inter-county level, but as you guys also point out - he is still a better option than some others on the panel of late!

Time will tell lads.

When is county convention / AGM or whatever?
agree with you 100%,   Think he deserves a crack at it, if he makes it will he give football the back seat??   no way he could be expected to 100% fully commit to both
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Last Man

Quote from: NAG1 on November 17, 2011, 11:32:41 AM
Yeah got the emphasis on our, just doesnt change my opinion on it.

I get that he is unorthodox and not trying to take any credit away from him, just IMO it is just not the type of player that we should be looking for at this time.
County squads are not made up of perfect hurlers NAG, never were. The average he strikes is more than good enough to fit right in IMO. There may be a few of the type of players around that you are talking about but many have short comings in other areas.

pdiddy

Is AG the guy that played full forward against Cushendall in the Championship?
When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

saffronog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2011, 11:42:13 PM
You really know shite all. But keep her coming lad it's quare craic

you keep me right master yoda and i will keep trying to reach your level.  surprised jerry hasn't asked you to become selector, seem the obvious choice. :o

Milltown Row2

Funny you should say that ......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the waffler

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 16, 2011, 06:16:52 AM
Quote from: the waffler on November 16, 2011, 05:20:01 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 15, 2011, 10:43:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2011, 10:34:34 PM
That's  not the case if they have been underperforming Skull. Carryduff have won the Down minor championship this year so ther has been a steady decline of the Down teams, but Portaferry have always managed to beat us handy every year, decent team to.

??? I don't understand what youre saying there milltown

It could be argued that Carryduff winning minor is a sign that the south belfast clubs with the numbers they have are making good progress as much as I'm not saying that the ards clubs may have dipped. I fully expect Bredagh and/or Carryduff to be competing for senior titles in the next 10 years. Lots of kids and lots of interested coaches will bring this about.

none of the two belfast teams will compete in down  shc in 10 yrs time both nowhere near or likely to be senior in that time having watched them both portaferry and ballygalget rebuilding with ypunger guys the crans young but year or two on down the line
Going by Ballycran's performance in the Ulster final this year and Ballygalget's in the semi last year there's a fair bit of rebuilding needed yet. I don't really buy into this 'rebuilding' fad'. it seems to be the mantra of poor teams (in any sport) who are basically admitting that they've been ignoring their youth development, club facilities etc. We were as guilty of it as anyone in the last 15 years or so until the last 7 -8 years. Dunloy are going through the same at the minute.

Surely all this 'rebuilding' is a get out clause for clubs indolence and poor manageme

well im sure if ye were asked a few years back you might have had a different view on it but sure nothing like a bit of success ta get the preachers out