Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

It's a sorry mess for sure but it's not like we (the county) didn't see it coming. If the county had ten men looking after the team (under 21's) would it be any better? As said the personell might not have been up to the task, under 21 is a difficult grade but it's a great stepping stone to senior.

We can't blame Dominic or people betting against their county. They were it seems very ill prepared but they are ill prepared every year, a lot of these lads don't have the commitment that maybe our southern counterparts have,we have the skill levels. I listened to the match on Saturday, Dublin radio had it on and they give praise to the players like Armstrong who by their accounts was on to nearly every ball that was played into the defence. The goalkeeper got a few mentions also and McCann up from along with Black contesting hard for the ball.

To make an impression at this level they need to be training and having regular challenge games, preferably arranged when the senior are away doing it as it would not be a burden to clubs.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Onthehill

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 22, 2011, 02:26:45 PM
People don't seem to understand, I don't fault Kearns for taking the job, but Dinny shouldn't have been able to appoint him, all county managers should be appointed by the county board. Dinny was appointed at the beginning of 2010 to manage Antrim senior and U-21 hurling teams. If he didn't want to do it the county board should have requested nominations from the clubs. Dinny should not have been able to appoint whoever he wanted to the position, especially not someone with a very limited CV.

JJ Dinny is the senior manager of our county and if he thinks Kearns was good enough for the role then I'm willing to go with his experience of the man. Domnic's a smart guy and knows his hurling. May not have a CV but you dont really need to be Brian Cody to take our U21 team. D kennedy (the senior coach) was doing the coaching..I suppose he's to blame also.

The bigger issue for me is that until we as a county begin to take the competition serious, its going to be the same discussion every year.

oisinog

The clubs and players also need to take the Under 21 Championship more serious. If there was more of a push on our own Under 21 championship it might bring back some of the pride at playing at that level.

The last good Under 21 team we had would have been 7 years ago when Liam Watson was that age group. We had a good team that year even then it was not taken seriously

NAG1

Guys lets not be fooled either, dinny is no mug he knows the set up here with the u21 and the way it has been run over the past number or years, so he is happy enough for someone elses name to be associated with this defeat as long as its not his.

Dont blame him either

oisinog

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2011, 03:42:09 PM
Guys lets not be fooled either, dinny is no mug he knows the set up here with the u21 and the way it has been run over the past number or years, so he is happy enough for someone elses name to be associated with this defeat as long as its not his.

Dont blame him either

If he knew it was coming why did he not do something to improve the situation of the U21 set up to prevent this.

The under 21 team is the future of the county and they need to look at setting it properly

NAG1

Thats another question, my point is he knows the way the clubs and players have responded to the u21 competition and he would have known with the rest of us the result that was on the cards for this game.

Milltown Row2

yeah but don't bet on it!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2011, 04:28:22 PM
:D always gets the last word.
No point focusing on U21s guys, the whole development squad system is flawed therefore this is what we get.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2011, 04:28:22 PM
Would you bet on your own team to lose in the championship against,  let's say Dunloy, to make a quick buck?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

I bet on whoever was playing Loughgiel over the last twenty years!! Nearly have my house paid off!! Thanks

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2011, 06:44:40 PM
I bet on whoever was playing Loughgiel over the last twenty years!! Nearly have my house paid off!! Thanks

Loughgiel were a gift in that string of finals. Were always a decent price for some reason.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

Any team news for us for the weekend MR2, I think the last time we played you guys in Belfast we drew having won a tight round Robin game earlier in the year.

What happens next????

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maxpower on August 22, 2011, 08:22:10 PM
Any team news for us for the weekend MR2, I think the last time we played you guys in Belfast we drew having won a tight round Robin game earlier in the year.

I'm not playing ;D ;D

Na we have a few additions from the minors, bit inexperienced but keen as fcuk

We won't trouble yous. Ideally I'd like it to be tight for a the first half and then give it a lash for the last 30 minutes. We have had a decent league so far but only playing in Div 2 won't help us against Dunloy.

In a couple of years time we need to make a push for promotion and stay in the top flight for a while.

I played and scored in that match oh I wish I was young again!!

Seamroga in exile

That's besides the point, as we all know what happened last year.  ;D

You avoided answering my question.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 22, 2011, 09:01:52 PM
That's besides the point, as we all know what happened last year.  ;D

You avoided answering my question.

I have never bet against us (St Galls) in hurling as we are dung and the bookies won't give us a price, I've won a serious amount of money off us in football as over the last 11 years we haven't choked at Casement.

I'd the Gael's half time fulltime in Parnell also this year, paid for the weekend we had down that day :D