Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 3746392 times)

theskull1

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #8370 on: May 13, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
According to county website:

The game was called off yesterday pm when due to exams, club committments, illness and injury following club games, it became apparent that a only a small squad would be able to travel.

There was always a high risk that that game would be compromised. I love hurling as much as the next man but the thought of travelling 2-300 miles round trip on a wednesday night after a days works for a challenge game would really grind my gears and would only be made worse by the fact you'd be travelling with tired legs. Theres no way your head or body would be right for the game so as much as the county management feel they need "games" I would very much doubt that there would be anything to gain from such a venture.
Itís a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

« Reply #8371 on: May 13, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
The fact that the game was to be in Dublin you'd assume Antrim asked for it in the first place and you'd have hoped that the management and co board would have consulted with the players in terms of availability as you'd have needed a half day off work to get there and any of the students would have known well in advance about being tied up with exams.

There wouldn't be much learned from playing lads who just travelled 150 odd mile after a day at work plus having played a club game the night before.

maxpower

• View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: May 13, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
Agree entirely Skull, most of the players would have played a game Sat/Sun then Tues then head from Ballycastle/Loughgeil/Dunloy etc to Dublin for 3 hours travel after work.  you'd nearly need paid to do that ::)

i'm sure the County do need games though and not easy to get at this time
What happens next????

Lecale2

• View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »
Bloody hell, a home fixture on a sunday to our high flying neighbours. Hopefully we'll get a good day and a big crowd.

Antrim Div 1 Hurling
Team 1   Team 2   Venue   Date   Time   Referee   Comment
Ballygalget    Ballycran    Ballygalget   16/05/2010   15:00   TBC    Round 3   
Antrim Reserve Hurling
Rossa    Portaferry    Rossa   15/05/2010   16:30   Prenter Sean    Round 4   
Cushendall    Dunloy    Cushendall   15/05/2010   17:00   Kevin Robinson   Round 4   
Ballygalget    Ballycran    Ballygalget   16/05/2010   13:30   Quinn Liam    Round 3

Open the bar Johnny and youse can make a few bob.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #8374 on: May 13, 2010, 11:28:28 PM »
Ah balax

St. Johns    3-15   0-11   St. Pauls

It's tight at the top.

Has the bubble still burst?

Christ they are shite!! i could have played in that game ;)

Rossa and yourselves didnt beat them by much?
Rossa did beat yourselves though which is more important than hammering an also ran.

johnneycool

« Reply #8375 on: May 14, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
Bloody hell, a home fixture on a sunday to our high flying neighbours. Hopefully we'll get a good day and a big crowd.

Antrim Div 1 Hurling
Ballygalget    Ballycran    Ballygalget   16/05/2010   15:00   TBC    Round 3   
Antrim Reserve Hurling
Rossa    Portaferry    Rossa   15/05/2010   16:30   Prenter Sean    Round 4   
Cushendall    Dunloy    Cushendall   15/05/2010   17:00   Kevin Robinson   Round 4   
Ballygalget    Ballycran    Ballygalget   16/05/2010   13:30   Quinn Liam    Round 3

Open the bar Johnny and youse can make a few bob.

The bar isn't allowed to be open during a game, it will however be open before, half time and after the games.

An old club rule allegedly but I'm sure we'll get you a glass of fizzy pop.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:30:56 AM by johnneycool »

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: May 14, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
I think it is the same for most clubs, except that those are drinking clubs first and GAA clubs second  ;)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: May 14, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »
Ah balax

It's tight at the top.

Rossa did beat yourselves though which is more important than hammering an also ran.

strange though! at senior hurling we have never in the past been known as hurling rivals to Rossa and St Johns. so the question is this, has the hurling dropped between the big two or have St Galls improved?

i'm of the opinion that we have improved.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: May 14, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
Youse have improved and the big two have got worse. Rossa seem to bring talent through better than their rivals so I'd expect them to get back up to the right standard in the next few years with their minor and U21s doing well last year.
Itís a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: May 14, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
Realistically, how long is it going to be before any club in Belfast is going to challenge on a regular basis for the SHC?

I know there are vast somes of money going into the GAA in Dublin, but does their club scene in a major city not put ours to shame?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:44:48 PM by NAG1 »

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: May 14, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
i hope so!! don't think a Belfast club could do it on its own. a club amalgamation maybe the way forward.  but the club needs to be a sole hurling club with no distractions from the big ball game. it would take it also to be properly affiliated.

can see Rossa possibly chasing honours (maybe not winning) in a few years providing they work continue with their development plan.

as for the money going into Dublin it seems a bit unfair that a City like Belfast which has 30 clubs (some Down teams in that) is not getting the required help in targeting the schools which are not producing hurling talent. gone are the days of teacher staying and coaching kids taking teams and developing players. (i know a few good teachers out there doing this, so not a reflection on them)
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #8381 on: May 14, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »
Ah balax

It's tight at the top.

strange though! at senior hurling we have never in the past been known as hurling rivals to Rossa and St Johns. so the question is this, has the hurling dropped between the big two or have St Galls improved?

i'm of the opinion that we have improved.
I wouldn't say there is a big 'rivalry' between Rossa and St. Galls although both are around the same level at present. In saying that, I'd be quite surprised if St Galls were to beat Rossa in the championship. Not beyond the realms of possibility but it would raise an eyebrow.
St. Johns and St. Galls do seem to have become 'rivals' in recent years though. How did that come about?

St. Galls have improved alright, they have a number of good hurlers. Only the football is so strong in Milltown Row, the hurlers would be challenging at the top.

Milltown, what's the story with Anton McCaffrey? Is he with Davitts now? I saw him wearing a Davitts hoodie today. A very capable hurler he was too.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: May 14, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »
Wasn't  he on those decent Antrim minor teams? I have never seen him playing much, if any, senior hurling for St Galls.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #8383 on: May 14, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
Wasn't  he on those decent Antrim minor teams? I have never seen him playing much, if any, senior hurling for St Galls.
He was, aye. He was a good player too. I played against him in a reserve match a couple of years ago.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: May 14, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
He was, aye. He was a good player too. I played against him in a reserve match a couple of years ago.

Were you wearing tracksuit bottoms? Is he Speedy's son?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"