Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

There were quite a few times st louis were getting their sticks held in the forwards when trying to break free - quite blatantly - and got nothing for it.I counted three or four. On the flip side i think twice in first half of extra time st louis got frees quite easily when they'd have been far better off with an advantage.

paddyjohn

Quote from: glens73 on March 28, 2016, 07:23:01 PM
I thought maybe the story had gone, but.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CepxAN4XIAArPrE.jpg

Some of the stories I've heard over the weekend about the current set up are poor to say the least, I hope they are unfounded tittle tattle.

God knows what is going on.

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on March 28, 2016, 09:20:00 PM
Opinions on the referee today gents? At the game everyone I talked to thought we had to work harder to get frees.

Very much so, I thought there was a blatant penalty in the first half which was ignored. These are important especially at this age level for confidence of the team. All over the field I thought the frees were coming easier for the southerners but we have all been there before.

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 28, 2016, 09:50:02 PM
Quote from: glens73 on March 28, 2016, 07:23:01 PM
I thought maybe the story had gone, but.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CepxAN4XIAArPrE.jpg

Some of the stories I've heard over the weekend about the current set up are poor to say the least, I hope they are unfounded tittle tattle.

God knows what is going on.

Yeah I have heard that players are starting to distance themselves from the set up until this betting thing is cleared up.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: NAG1 on March 28, 2016, 10:17:03 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 28, 2016, 09:20:00 PM
Opinions on the referee today gents? At the game everyone I talked to thought we had to work harder to get frees.

Very much so, I thought there was a blatant penalty in the first half which was ignored. These are important especially at this age level for confidence of the team. All over the field I thought the frees were coming easier for the southerners but we have all been there before.

Just home form Thurles

Two things
The ref was very one sided, every time st Louis got 2 3 points up
He brought CBS right back into it with soft frees
I feel embarrassed for him
The second thing S Louis shot 3 wides at the start of the second half
If these went over I don't think CBS where coming back even with their 16 man

Fair play to the Antrim post
Maybe it's time this stuff was highlighted if the CB is gonna brush it under the table
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

theskull1

Watched the game again there. Could have won it regardless of the man in the middle, but ultimately his influence on the game was brought to bear. Livid. Very little between the two teams
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: theskull1 on March 29, 2016, 12:08:28 AM
Watched the game again there. Could have won it regardless of the man in the middle, but ultimately his influence on the game was brought to bear. Livid. Very little between the two teams
Hard to  beleave a man intrusted with a position like that would try and influence the result like he did
Trying to and succeeding in wrecking the dreams of school kids
Absolute disgrace
But let's face it - wasn't the first time and won't be the last

Last Man

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 29, 2016, 12:14:35 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 29, 2016, 12:08:28 AM
Hard to  beleave a man intrusted with a position like that would try and influence the result like he did
Trying to and succeeding in wrecking the dreams of school kids
Absolute disgrace
But let's face it - wasn't the first time and won't be the last
Throughout the game I always felt St.Louis had enough to do it and we're almost certainly going to push on in extra time. Regardless of the ref i was always waiting for them to produce more of what we know they are capable of. I am sure they are gutted but it has been a great year for the school.

theskull1

There were quite a few handling errors and wides I would've have expected to see go over. It was an all ireland final and nerves looked to be playing a part in those, especially at important stages in the game. An all Ireland's hard enough to win without worrying that the referee is angling toward one team. Just too many soft handy ones for one team never mind the penalty that wasn't given. In a game of inches this is what can happen if your not the team to get the rub of the green.

north_antrim_hound

Munster venue
Munster team
So let's apoint a Munster ref
That will even it up sure
Stone cold penaltys not given
Forwards getting blatantly pulled
Very soft frees at the other end
CBS shot as many sides as St Louis
If the man in the middle had a more neutral mindset it wouldn't have reached extra time
Some of the players on display yesterday have great hurling in front of them over the years for their clubs and county
But they have been introduced early as to how  things are. I hope it doesn't dampen there ambitions
Yesterday was more sickening than what went on earlier in the week in Antrim in some respects

Last Man

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 29, 2016, 11:25:21 AM
Munster venue
Munster team
So let's apoint a Munster ref
That will even it up sure
Stone cold penaltys not given
Forwards getting blatantly pulled
Very soft frees at the other end
CBS shot as many sides as St Louis
If the man in the middle had a more neutral mindset it wouldn't have reached extra time
Some of the players on display yesterday have great hurling in front of them over the years for their clubs and county
But they have been introduced early as to how  things are. I hope it doesn't dampen there ambitions
Yesterday was more sickening than what went on earlier in the week in Antrim in some respects
What I would take from it is that were things we could improve on and hopefully that might mitigate against any bias in the future. Best focus on things you actually can change.

theskull1

If St Mals were in the same boat LM, I'd expect you'd be pointlessly spitting feathers like we are at the minute.  :-\

NAG1

It is a hard defeat for those involved to take because there was good chance of winning and with those small margins of frees not given makes such a difference.

But thing we also need to look at the physicality of the opposition in nearly every position they were bigger stronger and more aggressive.  Not much you can do so early in development I know but it to me there should not be such a difference in size in a relatively small county?!

Leyland

Have just watched the colleges game there now. I had it sky +. St. Louis will be kicking themselves on 2 accounts - firstly the ref gave some very harsh decisions against them esp number 10 - was he elliot?? - they were enough to bring the Tipperary school back into it.
However on reflection and in the cold light of it - St. Louis will regret the misses they had that would have put the game out of sight - number 10 & 14 the main offenders. But these young lads will learn from the big match experience.

Physicality was certainly an issue yesterday and when weather got poor it became a bigger issue. Last year CPC had the size along with the quality which got them over the line.

All in all the last 3 years north Antrim schools have reached this final - which shows there is real talent in this part of the world.
If anyone has a formula on how u take thus talent and translate some of them into 'real' county senior players - could they share it with county board etc.

Colleges & club level have shown that we have hurlers in this part of world - county has highlighted the embarassing lack of commitment we have

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on March 29, 2016, 12:20:36 PM
If St Mals were in the same boat LM, I'd expect you'd be pointlessly spitting feathers like we are at the minute.  :-\
Possibly but knowing some of the players fairly well I was backing them all the way, I really did expect more from them on the day and many on here know that they are certainly capable of it. There could be a no. of reasons but the ref wasn't the only one in my opinion for what little it's worth.