Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

A Lazy choice of words on my part MR as that was not the thrust of my argument, but I'd say Sean Burns went to yous exclusively for the football but by all accounts was a very capable hurler at the time and as far as I know never played hurling again.  We dont know the reasons for that of course but it still could be worth considering greater flexibility for dual players

podge

what was sean burns original club?

Last Man

St.Endas, think he played there until minor

milltown row

came to us as a minor. played senior final when he was 18, first of his 8 medals

Last Man

Nobody can say it was a bad move for him .

theskull1

Quote from: Last Man on November 06, 2007, 04:31:39 PM
Nobody can say it was a bad move for him .

???
True Gaels would not agree with that comment LM. Moving clubs for a bit of glory is hardly following the ethos of the association is it? Not something to be proud of IMO.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

I see we're up in Rossa park on Sunday

Are Rossa fielding teams this weather?

Last Man

I agree Skull but it is an easier point to make if your club has experienced a bit of glory. Urban areas are a special case perhaps and football is dominating in Belfast at the minute unfortunately. Lets face it, it's easier to be good at it and a good hurler will always have the makins of a good footballer. I am speaking from a hurling perspective and getting a bit of mommentum back into it in Belfast throughout all levels is a priority. At the end of the day this may not be the answer but a bit of lateral thinking is needed for sure to keep lads hurling.

Balboa

Quote from: podge on November 06, 2007, 03:16:51 PM
what was sean burns original club?

Is he anything to Carpet Burns? No its ok im getting my coat and going........ :P

Ruairi Og exile

Thats poor Balboa..very poor :D :D

Johnny..Cushendall played Rossa at Rossa on Sunday so I'd imagine they'll get a team ok but it was a pretty weak one on Sunday as far as I Know

Balboa

We beat Rossa handy a couple of weeks ago, they fielded against Cushendall last week but didnt field the previous week. They are very poor at the minute, i dont know if it was a "weakened" team against us but the only absentee i could see was Gavin Bell. They are just poor.

Guillem2

I reckon we'll field 15 alright Johnnycool but we're not going well at the moment. I hear youse had a good auld battle with Ballycran last weekend. What was the story?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

johnneycool

Quote from: Guillem2 on November 07, 2007, 01:00:06 PM
I reckon we'll field 15 alright Johnnycool but we're not going well at the moment. I hear youse had a good auld battle with Ballycran last weekend. What was the story?

A few bouts of handbags but nothing serious. Our lads didn't need much of a teamtalk as some of the young Crans have lost the run of themselves and were needing a few pegs removed. We hadn't lifted hurls for the last 6 weeks and it showed at the start with some very poor wides both from play and free's. Graham gifted Ballycran a goal when he misjudged a high ball, but he made sure after that. The Crans were flowing at that point and were looking to run away with it. We started to get into the game a bit with magic in midfield running things. Once he took off he is hard to stop and caused a smallish Ballycran defence no end of problems, not sure if I'd persist with him there but he's harder to man mark out there, but too far from goal for my liking.
The Crans seemed to be a bit worried relegation but I'd thought they were safe.

How many are going down? Is that decided yet?

Balboa

Quote from: johnneycool on November 07, 2007, 02:47:12 PM
Quote from: Guillem2 on November 07, 2007, 01:00:06 PM

A few bouts of handbags but nothing serious. Our lads didn't need much of a teamtalk as some of the young Crans have lost the run of themselves and were needing a few pegs removed. We hadn't lifted hurls for the last 6 weeks and it showed at the start with some very poor wides both from play and free's. Graham gifted Ballycran a goal when he misjudged a high ball, but he made sure after that. The Crans were flowing at that point and were looking to run away with it. We started to get into the game a bit with magic in midfield running things. Once he took off he is hard to stop and caused a smallish Ballycran defence no end of problems, not sure if I'd persist with him there but he's harder to man mark out there, but too far from goal for my liking.
The Crans seemed to be a bit worried relegation but I'd thought they were safe.

How many are going down? Is that decided yet?

Well i have heard about 10 different stories about the makeup of Division 1 next year, Sarsfields, Lamh Dhearg, Ballycran & Rossa (in that order) are a fair bit adrift of the rest. It just depends how many they send down.

johnneycool

Loughgiel Shamrocks 12    23
Dunloy                    10    18
Portaferry                12    16
Cushendall               12    14
Ballycastle                11    13
Ballygalget               10    12
Glenariff                  12    12
St. Johns                 11   11
St. Galls                  11    11
Ballycran                 12     7
Rossa                     11     5
Lamh Dhearg          10      2
Sarsfields                10      0

Well I suppose Rossa can pull level with Ballycran if they beat us on sunday according to the Antrim web site which is normally fairly accurate.
What happened to Lamh Dhearg this year, they normally offer a good battle?