Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 20, 2009, 07:38:04 AM
QuoteWhy did the OPW do that? Did you have no problem with the idea of it or just because you didnt want to lose your job?

Sorry Sligonian, just to be clear on what I was trying to say.   I had no problem whatsoever with the Battle Of The Boyne Site or the money the government gave.  The point I make is that it was a "Hands Across The Border" type initative with Bertie presenting Paisley with a gun and all that.  It was a huge peace building effort and there were constant visits from members of the Orange Order and even the hierarchy from Norway to observe the progress of this massive spend to allow people like Mr McCausland come down here and celebrate King Billy while as soon as there is a peep out of any Nationalist group to rightfully celebrate some of our comrades there is a big issue made of it.

On the second point, my job, while I don't feel I should be obliged to answer it I will for what it's worth.  I was a subcontractor on the job doing cabling for CCTV and Security.  One day I was on my knees inside the main entrance door along with an assistant and we were trying to fish a cable up inside the wood panels towards the window as it was a protected structure. One of the visits I referred to above were in place and these two orangemen were standing in the main reception area and they were all excited about the project and they came over t the window and one was pointing out in the direction of a big tree in front of the house saying,  "Rete beside thon tree, that's where King Billy was sitting and the connon was fired from over there (him pointing) and the ball actually grazed Billy on the cheek and shoulder"

And I said to my mate, "It's a pity it didn't take the fooking head off him and we would not be here trying to get this wire out".    Our Orangemen overherad what I said but were not in peacefull mode that day so they reported me and three days later I was asked to leave the site and the contract was awarded to another company.  There is still a legal issue but any further questions will have to be asked to the Office Of Public Works and I can PM you the names of the persons dealing with it.  You can ask them why the first security company were taken off site and how much it cost to get the second one to make sure Mr. McCausland and his mates were appeased and would they ask their counterparts in the North as a reciprocal gesture if they would spend a similar ammount to build a commerative site for us near Casement Park to help the next generation remember the hassle the brits gave to young lads going to GAA games.

Well Bud, I was thinking I was missing something all right, fair play for clarifying...the OPW some joke, at the end of the day your comment, which I wholeheartly agree with btw, would not affect your ability to do the job..anyway I hope ye got payed compensation.

Was there any people protesting about this commenoration of the tryrant that tryed to destroy all things Irish. Its like someone shooting and killing your brother and then you going out building a statute for them to celebrate them killing your brother. F@#king crazy.

Saddest thing is the Irish people whinging about a GAA ground been used breaking rule 7a, common sense was used big deal  :o. In fairness it was for a very worthy cause.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

rrhf

This in an era when we see public commemorations on a weekly basis in Britain of their fallen in Afghanistan and Iraq - Ive yet to see the venues questioned?  Indeed what human being would ever question the honour entitled by their ultimate sacrifice, or belittle them posthumously, or deny their friends and community the right to keep them honoured.  What about wreath laying in the centre of towns remembering the war dead,  Who could criticise these military commemorations of people prepared to take the ultimate step for their ideals - even if they are not in tandem with our own.  By their very nature military commemorations are the organised healing of the scars of war, providing comfort to those who lost their friends and family - in a strage way it shows the sadness and futility of war, if we dont let each side commemorate then each side will learn nothing.   Honouring the soldier who pays the ultimate sacrifice shows the similarities between any man who fights for his country and ideal, brit or paddy included.  Whether its a prayer into the ear in a muddy pit in the somme or a walk and a roleplay through Galbally those who have lost have every right to question whats going on, the venue, the costumes, the food etc. but it only highlights the ignorance of those who were fortunate enough to remain untouched.       

Tempoman

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted already...

QuoteMcCausland slams H-Block event 

Sports Minister Nelson McCausland has criticised the staging of a hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground.

It took place at Galbally, County Tyrone, after a procession on Sunday.

Speaking as a DUP MLA, he said: "It cannot be right that a sports ground should be used for commemorating and celebrating something as offensive as the whole H-Block episode."

Sinn Fein MLA Barry McElduff said there were no alternative venues for the rural, largely republican community.

"We were remembering, not terrorists but inspirational, politically-motivated Irish hunger strikers," said Mr McElduff, who was speaking in a party capacity rather than as chairman of the assembly's culture, arts and leisure committee.

"Many young people are curious to know the story of these hunger strikers who laid down their lives for Irish freedom."

However, Mr McCausland said the event was a breach of the GAA's rule 7a, which states the organisation should be non-party political.

"People will be disappointed to see a sports ground used for such a political event which glorifies Irish republican terrorism," he said.

He added: "The event in Tyrone was a retrograde step and I think it has reinforced division and political sectarianism."

Breach of the GAA's rule 7a carries a penalty of up to 24 weeks' suspension.

A GAA spokesperson said they had no comment to make on the matter.

The parade was staged near the home of IRA hunger striker Martin Hurson, who died in the Maze Prison in July 1981.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8206863.stm

It's a shame yet again that some people have felt it appropriate to use a GAA ground for such activities. And all it does is give the DUP another stick to beat the Association with.

Im just glad to see that Mr McCausland is reading the rules!!

cornafean

The GAA's longstanding policy of being non-party political has served it well and I think it would be a big mistake to abandon it. On a different level altogether from the Galbally commemoration, there was an incident in Cavan earlier this summer when a prominent Fianna Fail councillor lost his seat in the local elections and in comments to the media afterwards attacked his local GAA club, Kingscourt Stars, for allowing their website to be used by his opponents.

The club rebutted this allegation in the following letter which appeared in the Anglo Celt.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/opinion/letters/articles/2009/06/17/40721-gaa-denies-involvement-in-smear-campaign/

"Dear editor,

Kingscourt Stars GAA would like to express their disappointment at the statement made in last week"s edition of the Anglo Celt by Mr. Clifford Kelly, in the aftermath of the recent local elections. It was stated in the article that Mr Kelly 'expressed disappointment that the GAA allowed their website to be used by the opposition', adding that he 'didn"t expect I (he) would get this sort of treatment from them'.

Kingscourt Stars GAA would like to put on record that their website has never been used to promote any person running in the local elections nor have we any affiliation to any political organisation. The website has only ever been used to promote our national sport and Gaelic football in the Kingscourt area from underage up to senior level. Individual members of the GAA club along with members of the general public have the right to express their own political allegiances or views as they see fit.

However as a voluntary organisation, Kingscourt Stars GAA does not, and never has, supported nor opposed any political party.

Kingscourt Stars has always had a good relationship with Mr. Kelly and indeed he was often complimented at our AGMs for his contribution to the town of Kingscourt. As a result of this, we are bitterly disappointed that Mr. Kelly has expressed these recent views on a local organisation without any basis of truth as we would never intend to treat Mr Kelly wrongly.

Signed: Kingscourt Stars GAA"

If clubs and county boards let themselves get involved iin party politics, then I feel that this would be a recipe for needless division and rancour within the GAA - and we have enough of this as it is. Tony cites some very uncomfortable questions surrounding IFA and Irish League soccer clubs. Unless the GAA retains and adheres to its non-party political stance, it risks walking itself into the same sort of mess that the IFA continually finds itself.

And, for the record, there is a big difference between a club allowing its rooms to be used for local party meetings and allowing their halls or playing fields to host major political rallies.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Gnevin

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2009, 09:27:45 AM
While I think it would be better for GAA grounds not to be used for such events Mr Mc Causland should get rojnd to addressing the following issues as well

1.The involvement of people who are, if not members of loyalist paramilitaries have strong associations with them in Irish League Soocer Clubs Boardrooms

2. The commemoration hosted on the pitch before an actual game, by Glentoran FC for the late David Ervine PUP/UVF

3. The regular violent fallouts between various rival loyalist factions in the social clubs of Irish League soccer clubs.

4. The alienation of 45% of the community in the 6 counties from local soccer in general and the IFA international team in particular

Is whataboutye the only argument you ever use?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cornafean on August 20, 2009, 09:43:57 AM
And, for the record, there is a big difference between a club allowing its rooms to be used for local party meetings and allowing their halls or playing fields to host major political rallies.
curious to know what you think the difference is

fair play to Kingscourt stars. The GAA is NOT a political or politicised association. For all the attempts at portraying it as one on this thread  , by serial re-offenders on the non-GAA part of the board, there has been nothing submitted that can even cast an iota of doubt in any way that it can be viewed as such.
Doesnt stop these 'people' continually throwing mud/accusation at it almost on a monthly basis.
Maybe its not a problem with the GAA or meetings but a more common general problem with alzheimers ?

emainmacha

I took photographs at the commemoration and have them on my flickr site,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16144312@N07/sets/72157622062520708/detail/
they clearly show that there were a number of re-enactments along the route of the event, (first of which I missed photographing) they ran from growing up, involvement with the struggle through active service, arrest, interrogation and the Hunger Strike itself.
Since this was a commemoration to remember the lives of all the Hunger Strikers I can't see the problem with that, perhaps now with the hullaballoo we will no longer see Orangemen with ceremonial swords or the re-enactments with muskets being banned and Scarva were real shotguns and live rounds are used to shoot the "fenian" flag from a pole .
As I heard being asked on the radio of the SDLP, why was it ok for Alban McGuinness to actively canvas for votes in a GAA ground but not for a commemoration which was open to all, be banned from the same gounds as being political, pot and kettle once again.

Should I not take pictures of commemorations and then use the same camera to take photos of a GAA game, such a quandry.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2009, 01:38:29 AM
Well said Aoise. Would that our compatriots could shed a tear of our blood for our brethren who gave all for every one of us... Catholic, Protestant, and Dissenter. White, Black or Other.

That's a hell of an assumption. you think everyone shares this opinion of the hungerstrikers?

If we assume that everyone doesn't, how do you think the locals who had their club taken over for this demonstration feel? Most likely intimidated by the whole thing and wishing the week away before getting the club back for its actual purpose.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2009, 08:02:16 AM
Mary McAleese is not allowed to meet players in Croker either.

what party does Mary McAleese belong to?

Zapatista

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 10:50:32 AM

She represents Irish Political interests abroad.

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 10:48:12 AM
Well said Aoise. Would that our compatriots could shed a tear of our blood for our brethren who gave all for every one of us... Catholic, Protestant, and Dissenter. White, Black or Other.

how do you think the locals who had their club taken over for this demonstration feel?

Not taken over but requested and accepted.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2009, 10:56:01 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 10:50:32 AM

She represents Irish Political interests abroad.

What party's that then?

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2009, 10:56:01 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 10:48:12 AM

how do you think the locals who had their club taken over for this demonstration feel?

Not taken over but requested and accepted.

And how many of those who opposed this and rather their club was for sport, community and culture would have spoken up at a meeting? not likely.

The association's rules are to protect those people in instances like this.

Leo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 19, 2009, 09:35:14 PM
Eight years ago, in August 2001 when thousands marched to, and held a commeration in Casement Park for Bobby Sands and his comrades we had the same moaners out and the same discussion on the old GAA board.  If Mr McCausland has a problem then all he has to do is go off and play golf or practice drum beating for the day but like then we have the usual exagerration of what is happening. Some will say nothing has changed, I disagree because on a thread way back I described to Evilgenius that I had no problem working on the Battle of The Boyne site for the Office Of Public Works when our government spent millions, I think 35 million, making a commerative site for the orangemen to celebrate King Billy.  If this commeration the one in Galbally that is, was happening on my front lawn I would have no problem so I fail to see how it is such a big issue with GAA men much less Mr Causland, or McCausland or whoever he is.  In the end thousands did turn up at Casement and the GAA did the right thing, the left the issue with the Ulater Council, and they, IMO, rightly did nothing either.

You are a first rate idiot Bud. This issue is not about McCausland but is all about the proper use of our GAA facilities.
If you can't see the good reason for the rule, go off to some other sport.
Fierce tame altogether

Orior

Quote from: Leo on August 20, 2009, 12:09:39 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 19, 2009, 09:35:14 PM
Eight years ago, in August 2001 when thousands marched to, and held a commeration in Casement Park for Bobby Sands and his comrades we had the same moaners out and the same discussion on the old GAA board.  If Mr McCausland has a problem then all he has to do is go off and play golf or practice drum beating for the day but like then we have the usual exagerration of what is happening. Some will say nothing has changed, I disagree because on a thread way back I described to Evilgenius that I had no problem working on the Battle of The Boyne site for the Office Of Public Works when our government spent millions, I think 35 million, making a commerative site for the orangemen to celebrate King Billy.  If this commeration the one in Galbally that is, was happening on my front lawn I would have no problem so I fail to see how it is such a big issue with GAA men much less Mr Causland, or McCausland or whoever he is.  In the end thousands did turn up at Casement and the GAA did the right thing, the left the issue with the Ulater Council, and they, IMO, rightly did nothing either.

You are a first rate idiot Bud. This issue is not about McCausland but is all about the proper use of our GAA facilities.
If you can't see the good reason for the rule, go off to some other sport.

I think there are two issues, but one is a much bigger issue than the other.

1) A sports minister, supposedly representing all his constituents, forever sniping at the GAA, refusing to attend any of their functions then jumping up and down with glee at the smell of success in his narrow minded objectives
2) A GAA ground being let out to the local community to celebrate an historic event
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zapatista

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 11:05:24 AM

And how many of those who opposed this and rather their club was for sport, community and culture would have spoken up at a meeting? not likely.

The association's rules are to protect those people in instances like this.

Wise up.

bingobus

I just hope that some GAA club won't suffer the consequences of an attack now from some small minded loyalist. The mentality of these people are that any small justification is required for there actions and this may encourage some idiot with a can of petrol to do a bit of damage over the weekend to a clubhouse somewhere.