Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

QuoteI don't agree with political events occurring on GAA grounds

Fair enough but back then I am sure the taking over of Casement Park itself by the Para's represented not just a political event occurring on a GAA ground but a lot more when you include the airborne division.  So Ok, we go along with the theory that ' that was then and this is now' so in two years time where do you think the 30th Anniversary of the Hunger Strikers should be celebrated?  In some bog where nobody will see it and the Americans will make a sequel to the film 'Hunger' called 'Hide' about how strange and reclusive and submissive the Irish have become again.  What harm will this commeration do to those who neither want to attend it or have anything to do with it?

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

pintsofguinness

http://www.politics.ie/sinn-fein/94548-masked-gunmen-yesterdays-hunger-strike-commemoration.html

*head in hands*

Bud, I 100% believe the brave men who died on hunger strike should be remembered however, it is not up to the GAA to provide somewhere to do that.

Why the feck do Sinn Fein feel the need to try to create the impression that they run football clubs in certain areas i'll never know. Is it an ego thing or a serving the community strategy?
Sometimes it's not just an impression.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

020304 Tir Eoghain

Dont see anything wrong with it myself. The premises doubles as the Galbally community centre, so a natural
venue IMO. There isn't a plethora of other venues around Cappagh/Galbally area.

Btw, there werent that many in Tallys HS :P

Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Maguire01

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 19, 2009, 09:59:08 PM
So Ok, we go along with the theory that ' that was then and this is now' so in two years time where do you think the 30th Anniversary of the Hunger Strikers should be celebrated?  In some bog where nobody will see it and the Americans will make a sequel to the film 'Hunger' called 'Hide' about how strange and reclusive and submissive the Irish have become again.
Don't be ridiculous. It can be held in the farmer's field just beside the GAA ground. If people care so much to attend the commemoration, they'll walk a few yards further down the road. You don't need anyone else to see it.

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 19, 2009, 09:59:08 PM
What harm will this commeration do to those who neither want to attend it or have anything to do with it?
It politicises the GAA. It contravenes GAA rules. It may well go against the wishes of other members of such GAA clubs.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 19, 2009, 09:35:14 PM
Eight years ago, in August 2001 when thousands marched to, and held a commeration in Casement Park for Bobby Sands and his comrades we had the same moaners out and the same discussion on the old GAA board.  If Mr McCausland has a problem then all he has to do is go off and play golf or practice drum beating for the day but like then we have the usual exagerration of what is happening. Some will say nothing has changed, I disagree because on a thread way back I described to Evilgenius that I had no problem working on the Battle of The Boyne site for the Office Of Public Works when our government spent millions, I think 35 million, making a commerative site for the orangemen to celebrate King Billy.  If this commeration the one in Galbally that is, was happening on my front lawn I would have no problem so I fail to see how it is such a big issue with GAA men much less Mr Causland, or McCausland or whoever he is.  In the end thousands did turn up at Casement and the GAA did the right thing, the left the issue with the Ulater Council, and they, IMO, rightly did nothing either.

100% correct Bud.
As Canalman says - FF and FG meetings are held on GAA premises but this does not constitute the 'politicising' of the GAA.

whingers like mccausland and some of our own serial whinging brigade are thankfully not empowered.
these twits whinging have no cop on obv.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 10:18:55 PM
Yes, a difference of opinion clearly equates to having "no cop on".  ::)

Bud Wiser

Quotehttp://www.politics.ie/sinn-fein/94548-masked-gunmen-yesterdays-hunger-strike-commemoration.html

Assholes indeed but have nothing to do with my opinion,  I would not let them into the field down the road much less a GAA ground.  However, the difference between a commeration for the hunger strikers and what is displayed on the link are two totally different things. 

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

AZOffaly

That lad at the bottom is in the German army, according to his uniform. Were we invaded?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 10:21:55 PM
if the cap fits

any change of changing that cracked whinging record then - as theres obv no chance of ya finding any cop on?

tyrone86

Anecdotally, the pictures are supposed to the Ogra SF acting the twat (now there's a shocker  ::)) rather than anything more sinister.

And to be really pedantic no rules were actually broken

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 10:31:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 10:21:55 PM
if the cap fits

any change of changing that cracked whinging record then - as theres obv no chance of ya finding any cop on?
That doesn't even make sense.

Bud Wiser

Apart from the politics dot ie site, which I subscribe to by the way, are there any more photos or videos of this event showing our new army ? 

020304 Tir Eoghain

Maybe somebody should ask the people of Galbally what they think. I know what their answer would be.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.