Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 10:31:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 10:21:55 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 10:18:55 PM
these twits whinging have no cop on obv.
Yes, a difference of opinion clearly equates to having "no cop on".  ::)
if the cap fits

any change of changing that cracked whinging record then - as theres obv no chance of ya finding any cop on?
That doesn't even make sense.
could have replied that very phrase after most of what you post !!!

is the clarion hotel group political/politicised?
is the bewleys hotel group political/politicised?
is the RDS political/politicised?
and many more examples of hotels and hotel chains etc etc etc

they all hold political party conferences and meetings.
so what then makes it different that if a GAA hall (often a community hall - but you over look that rather quickly and easily) is used for an event for a political party ?
Correct, they are not making the GAA or even the 'GAA hall' 'political.

The GAA is/are NOT political.

red hander

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 11:01:21 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 10:31:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 10:21:55 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 10:18:55 PM
these twits whinging have no cop on obv.
Yes, a difference of opinion clearly equates to having "no cop on".  ::)
if the cap fits

any change of changing that cracked whinging record then - as theres obv no chance of ya finding any cop on?
That doesn't even make sense.
could have replied that very phrase after most of what you post !!!

is the clarion hotel group political/politicised?
is the bewleys hotel group political/politicised?
is the RDS political/politicised?
and many more examples of hotels and hotel chains etc etc etc

they all hold political party conferences and meetings.
so what then makes it different that if a GAA hall (often a community hall - but you over look that rather quickly and easily) is used for an event for a political party ?
Correct, they are not making the GAA or even the 'GAA hall' 'political.

The GAA is/are NOT political.

Exactly

DuffleKing

For what its worth, FF, FG, SDLP, etc events should not occur at GAA grounds either.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 19, 2009, 11:05:58 PM
For what its worth, FF, FG, SDLP, etc events should not occur at GAA grounds either.
interesting opinion

why so though?

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 10:09:06 PM
It politicises the GAA. It contravenes GAA rules. It may well go against the wishes of other members of such GAA clubs.
It does not contravene the rule as quoted by 'God is on my side' McCausland.

As I read the rule,  it does not prohibit GAA premises to be used for such a commemoration, if the event is non party political.
Afaiu the Hunger Strike commemoration event is non party political.

Rule 7 "The Association shall be non-party political. Party
political questions shall not be discussed at its
meetings, and no Committee, Club, Council or
representative thereof shall take part, as such, in any
party political movement."

Aoise

Maguire I have a question for you - what exactly did the hunger strikers do that you find so offensive?

I find this interesting everytime I see Irish men falling for stupid DUP tactics.  The hunger strikers killed themselves! Who, apart from themselves and their families did they hurt by taking this extreme action?  I've heard many unionists secretly admitting that they didn't know what to do after the hunger strikes because they couldn't play the victim or the martyr.  A community celebrating this SELF Sacrafice in their local GAA club should not be heckled and demonised by any Irish man or woman.  The hunger strikes should instead be analysed to see their significance, because whether you like it or not Maguire, if it hadn't have been for their actions, republicans would have taken much longer to politicise themselves and who knows how much longer the troubles would have lasted.

Political correctness can sometimes be a dangerous revisionist tactic.  Just because something seems wrong in todays modern peaceful society, does not mean that it can be decontextualised and judged by the same standards, as we all know, you could have been shot dead yourself walking to a GAA ground in the early 80's, maybe then you wouldn't have been so quick to apply your PC outlook to those who fought and died for the right to walk to our grounds in peace.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Aoise on August 20, 2009, 01:21:45 AM
Maguire I have a question for you - what exactly did the hunger strikers do that you find so offensive?

I find this interesting everytime I see Irish men falling for stupid DUP tactics.  The hunger strikers killed themselves! Who, apart from themselves and their families did they hurt by taking this extreme action?  I've heard many unionists secretly admitting that they didn't know what to do after the hunger strikes because they couldn't play the victim or the martyr.  A community celebrating this SELF Sacrafice in their local GAA club should not be heckled and demonised by any Irish man or woman.  The hunger strikes should instead be analysed to see their significance, because whether you like it or not Maguire, if it hadn't have been for their actions, republicans would have taken much longer to politicise themselves and who knows how much longer the troubles would have lasted.

Political correctness can sometimes be a dangerous revisionist tactic.  Just because something seems wrong in todays modern peaceful society, does not mean that it can be decontextualised and judged by the same standards, as we all know, you could have been shot dead yourself walking to a GAA ground in the early 80's, maybe then you wouldn't have been so quick to apply your PC outlook to those who fought and died for the right to walk to our grounds in peace.

Excellent Post. As I said earlier, ask the people of Galbally what their thoughts would be. i'm sure a lot of them
can remember not being able to get to mass, never mind the GAA pitch.As regards McCauslands rants, they
wont lose any sleep.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well said Aoise. Would that our compatriots could shed a tear of our blood for our brethren who gave all for every one of us... Catholic, Protestant, and Dissenter. White, Black or Other.

Fcuk off Maguire. Post this shite elsewhere, how about the OWC?

Cop on a Chara.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

020304 Tir Eoghain

GAA asked to explain Sinn Féin rally
Wednesday, 19 August 2009 22:20
The SDLP wants the GAA to investigate why Sinn Féin was allowed to use its facilities in Co Tyrone last weekend to stage a hunger strike commemoration rally.

The event was held at the GAA grounds in Galbally on Sunday afternoon and Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams was the main speaker.

Northern Ireland Minister for Culture and Sport Nelson McCausland (DUP) has claimed that the rally was a clear breach of the GAA's rule 7a, which states that the organisation should be non-party political.

SDLP deputy leader Alasdair McDonnell has also criticised the event.

He said he would raise the issue when he met senior GAA executives in Dublin today.

SDLP response >:( what would you expect from a sow but a grunt?
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

orangeman

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 19, 2009, 09:35:14 PM
Eight years ago, in August 2001 when thousands marched to, and held a commeration in Casement Park for Bobby Sands and his comrades we had the same moaners out and the same discussion on the old GAA board.  If Mr McCausland has a problem then all he has to do is go off and play golf or practice drum beating for the day but like then we have the usual exagerration of what is happening. Some will say nothing has changed, I disagree because on a thread way back I described to Evilgenius that I had no problem working on the Battle of The Boyne site for the Office Of Public Works when our government spent millions, I think 35 million, making a commerative site for the orangemen to celebrate King Billy.  If this commeration the one in Galbally that is, was happening on my front lawn I would have no problem so I fail to see how it is such a big issue with GAA men much less Mr Causland, or McCausland or whoever he is.  In the end thousands did turn up at Casement and the GAA did the right thing, the left the issue with the Ulater Council, and they, IMO, rightly did nothing either.

Why did the OPW do that? Did you have no problem with the idea of it or just because you didnt want to lose your job?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bud Wiser

QuoteWhy did the OPW do that? Did you have no problem with the idea of it or just because you didnt want to lose your job?

Sorry Sligonian, just to be clear on what I was trying to say.   I had no problem whatsoever with the Battle Of The Boyne Site or the money the government gave.  The point I make is that it was a "Hands Across The Border" type initative with Bertie presenting Paisley with a gun and all that.  It was a huge peace building effort and there were constant visits from members of the Orange Order and even the hierarchy from Norway to observe the progress of this massive spend to allow people like Mr McCausland come down here and celebrate King Billy while as soon as there is a peep out of any Nationalist group to rightfully celebrate some of our comrades there is a big issue made of it.

On the second point, my job, while I don't feel I should be obliged to answer it I will for what it's worth.  I was a subcontractor on the job doing cabling for CCTV and Security.  One day I was on my knees inside the main entrance door along with an assistant and we were trying to fish a cable up inside the wood panels towards the window as it was a protected structure. One of the visits I referred to above were in place and these two orangemen were standing in the main reception area and they were all excited about the project and they came over t the window and one was pointing out in the direction of a big tree in front of the house saying,  "Rete beside thon tree, that's where King Billy was sitting and the connon was fired from over there (him pointing) and the ball actually grazed Billy on the cheek and shoulder"

And I said to my mate, "It's a pity it didn't take the fooking head off him and we would not be here trying to get this wire out".    Our Orangemen overherad what I said but were not in peacefull mode that day so they reported me and three days later I was asked to leave the site and the contract was awarded to another company.  There is still a legal issue but any further questions will have to be asked to the Office Of Public Works and I can PM you the names of the persons dealing with it.  You can ask them why the first security company were taken off site and how much it cost to get the second one to make sure Mr. McCausland and his mates were appeased and would they ask their counterparts in the North as a reciprocal gesture if they would spend a similar ammount to build a commerative site for us near Casement Park to help the next generation remember the hassle the brits gave to young lads going to GAA games.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Zapatista

Rule 7a ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

This is f**king ridiculous.

BTW Bud the armed men were there as an illustration. Hungerstrikers, Prison Wardens,the RUC and British Army were also portrayed along the route.

Bud Wiser

I'm away to work now for the day so I will leave a note in the door of Ballyboden St Enda's on my way that Tom Kitt, TD (FF) or any of the four County Councillors from three other parties are to be let in.   Will someone who has a bit of time while I am gone make a list of all those boyo's that are T'Ds and County Managers and tell them they have to relenquish their Dail seats or leave the GAA.  Seek out what political parties every county board chairman is a member of in the 26 counties and if he is from Sinn Fein throw him off the committee, he is an ego tripper.  If on  the other hand he is from Fianna Fail and is a TD then that's fine I suppose.  Jeezus wept!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Zapatista

Mary McAleese is not allowed to meet players in Croker either.