Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treasurer

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 12:23:32 PM
ok calm down everyone, £50 is fine. End of matter. I will accept that although it is not my opinion. I am starting to sound like I am on a six-figure salary now  ;) people get so hot under the collar on a subject which should not be deemed as so touchy

take a look at ANY recognised hotel venue in any part of Ireland and see the average cost per meal, thats all I am saying, I feel the moral obligation to at least cover the cost of the feed, anything after that is up to the couple themselves... I just think pintsofguinness has a major gripe on "paying for someone else's wedding" simple as that and that the invitation is seen as a summons

cavan4ever is right, the english are notorious for giving crap wedding presents... I lived there

By that logic, a couple who go for a low key buffet in the local hall should get a smaller present than the couple who go for string quartets, ice sculptures, doves and god knows what else, irrespective of my relationship/closeness to them.  What nonsense.

bingobus

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 12:32:30 PM
For instance, Pints is sitting at a wedding thinking of how much it cost him and of the holiday he could be on. If thats his attitude I don't think he should have went as he isn't doing himself any favours and is been two faced to the bride and groom.
I generally only go to family weddings and close friends, I ignore the rest of the invitations.

You are probably right  ;)

Send them a postcard from the beach wishing them well  ;D

cavan4ever

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 12:32:30 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on August 19, 2009, 12:20:56 PM
Some big shots around this board today  :D

yes but I'm with Billy, a shock is on the way, I'm surprised it hasnt hit them already. 

I just think pintsofguinness has a major gripe on "paying for someone else's wedding" simple as that and that the invitation is seen as a summons
Id rather receive a summons than an invitation, especially when it takes me five minutes to think of who the invitation is from and how they know me and then it dawns on me I haven't seen them since school ffs.  But no, I'd say they're inviting me for my company!

For instance, Pints is sitting at a wedding thinking of how much it cost him and of the holiday he could be on. If thats his attitude I don't think he should have went as he isn't doing himself any favours and is been two faced to the bride and groom.
I generally only go to family weddings and close friends, I ignore the rest of the invitations.

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 19, 2009, 12:27:35 PM
Quote from: tyrone girl on August 19, 2009, 12:22:22 PM
Crap wedding presents and wat the feck is crap about £100???  Duno about u but £100 is plenty to me at the minute with the amount of other things i have on!!

As for that last comment u made i presume ur taking the piss, if ur not u need knocked out

Need a deposit for a house dont want any wasters who give nothing going.
Have a small private wedding then and what you save would probably cover a deposit.

Thats boring

Brick Tamlin

its all relative..what exactly constitutes a crap wedding present then.
i cant believe that some people would consider not inviting someone to a wedding cuz there present isnt up to their standards, and even worse they have them sussed out beforehand..bunch of judgemental farquars on here.

tyrone girl

Yep thats absolutely ridiculous, to be sussing out who gives what and then deciding not to invite them based on that. What a load of shyte

Doogie Browser

Reminds me of the time Del Boy was at Trig's niece's wedding at a very plush country hotel and he had a crap present badly wrapped, he switched the tags around with Boycie's fancy Royal Doulton dinner set  :D

Must do the same if I am ever at a wedding with some of the nouveau riche on here.

I love weddings and always seem to be invited to 4/5 every year (this past 5/6 years anyway), I seldom have a bad time as invariably you are in the company of family and friends.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 19, 2009, 12:35:25 PM
i cant believe that some people would consider not inviting someone to a wedding cuz there present isnt up to their standards, and even worse they have them sussed out beforehand..bunch of judgemental farquars on here.
and I've been wondering why I've got no wedding invitations lately...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

cavan4ever

Quote from: tyrone girl on August 19, 2009, 12:36:22 PM
Yep thats absolutely ridiculous, to be sussing out who gives what and then deciding not to invite them based on that. What a load of shyte

A mate told me to do it, he reckons it was the best thing he could have done.  His uncle didnt give a present and him and his father went to the house and dropped hints till he was shamed into putting the hand in the pocket.

pintsofguinness

The pisstake is too obvious now cavan, nice try though.

Brick Tamlin

A mate told me to do it, he reckons it was the best thing he could have done.  His uncle didnt give a present and him and his father went to the house and dropped hints till he was shamed into putting the hand in the pocket.
[/quote]

what are you, 16 yrs old?

sammymaguire

Quote from: Treasurer on August 19, 2009, 12:33:38 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 12:23:32 PM
ok calm down everyone, £50 is fine. End of matter. I will accept that although it is not my opinion. I am starting to sound like I am on a six-figure salary now  ;) people get so hot under the collar on a subject which should not be deemed as so touchy

take a look at ANY recognised hotel venue in any part of Ireland and see the average cost per meal, thats all I am saying, I feel the moral obligation to at least cover the cost of the feed, anything after that is up to the couple themselves... I just think pintsofguinness has a major gripe on "paying for someone else's wedding" simple as that and that the invitation is seen as a summons

cavan4ever is right, the english are notorious for giving crap wedding presents... I lived there

By that logic, a couple who go for a low key buffet in the local hall should get a smaller present than the couple who go for string quartets, ice sculptures, doves and god knows what else, irrespective of my relationship/closeness to them.  What nonsense.

do you know what is going to happen on the day of a wedding before you get there and thus decide what the day was worth at the end? NO? thought not. read properly.

Look, just give what you want, I really don't care at this stage, I was only passing on my original opinion in the first place that £50 per person was on the mean side. I can't believe I got dragged into this bloody thread 
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Treasurer

Dear Bridezilla

Thank you for your kind invitation to your wedding.  I hope you won't think I'm being rude in writing this letter, but as you included "Cash presents only please" on your invitations, I think I can safely assume that good old fashioned manners and etiquette are off the table and that you won't be insulted.

You see, my dilemma is that I cannot decide what would be an appropriate gift, as I have no idea what kind of celebration you have planned and so I'd appreciate if you would let me know if you are planning to include any of the following, so that I can calculate the value of my gift:
•   Doves
•   String quartets
•   Gilt edged marriage booklets
•   Champagne on arrival
•   Waterford crystal keepsakes
•   Diamond pins on the seat covers
•   Ice sculptures
•   Animals of any kind (I hear camels are all the rage)
•   Free bar
•   Fire eaters
•   Comedians

If you are including more than three of the above, then I'm afraid I might have to go home early so as not to outstay the value of my contribution.  Indeed if you are planning to include ALL of the above, then I'm sorry to say your invitation must have got lost in the post.

Your friend always,

PS Thank you for the 2 year's advance notice and the details of the savings club

PPS Are you the girl who used to sit behind me in English class?

cavan4ever

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 12:40:18 PM
The pisstake is too obvious now cavan, nice try though.

aw well

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 19, 2009, 12:40:45 PM

[/quote]

U never get advise of someone Brick.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 19, 2009, 12:40:45 PM

[/quote]
I think he might be, he clearly has no bills to pay or worry about, he's got lives with parents all over him.

bingobus

I don't see where anyone is suggesting that  ???