DJ Carey or Henry?

Started by Bud Wiser, August 10, 2009, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I have remained undecided on this so far.  My heart is with the Cats tomorrow but I think Tipp will win by a few points. There is only one thing that can stop Tipp and that will be a huge performance from Henry and if he scores 5 or six crucial points from play and the Cat's get the four in a row then I think Henry will be King for me.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

orangeman

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 04, 2009, 03:36:04 PM
I have remained undecided on this so far.  My heart is with the Cats tomorrow but I think Tipp will win by a few points. There is only one thing that can stop Tipp and that will be a huge performance from Henry and if he scores 5 or six crucial points from play and the Cat's get the four in a row then I think Henry will be King for me.

15 points on Sunday makes him KK's all time championship scorer, surpassing Keher's record of 429 points.

Lecale2

A great achievement but you can't compare his record with Eddie Keher's. There were a lot less games played in Keher's day.

orangeman

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 04, 2009, 04:55:42 PM
A great achievement but you can't compare his record with Eddie Keher's. There were a lot less games played in Keher's day.

Keher got his 429 points from 50 games.

Shefflin has got 415 points from 48 games.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: orangeman on September 04, 2009, 04:35:20 PM

15 points on Sunday makes him KK's all time championship scorer, surpassing Keher's record of 429 points.

Dont think he'll do it this Sunday OM. Tipp will have a plan for Henry, but i think the cats will get their
scores from other areas.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Bud Wiser

QuoteTipp will have a plan for Henry,
They will fall on their own sword if they think a plan for Henry will work.   Davy Fitz thought the same plan, nullify Tommy Walsh and Henry and things would work out.  I was going through this at 5am this morning and I just can't wait for this game to start.  As you say, any one of the Cats can turn it on, on the day. One game it is Gorta, next Henry, Brennan, etc.  I think Henry will be the main man today, he is well up for it according to an article he subscribed to on Thursday.

Can't wait.  Come on the Cat's !
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

slow corner back

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 04, 2009, 04:55:42 PM
Dont forget Keher played quite a few 80 minute games back in the day.

orangeman

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on September 05, 2009, 02:02:55 AM

Dont think he'll do it this Sunday OM. Tipp will have a plan for Henry, but i think the cats will get their
scores from other areas.

Henry was well marshalled - in fact, he had a poor day compared to his usual very high standards. But cometh the hour, cometh the man and he stepped up to the free after Tommy Walsh got sent off and fired it over, followed by an unstoppable penalty.

Only 4 points away from the record.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: orangeman on September 06, 2009, 08:53:12 PM
Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on September 05, 2009, 02:02:55 AM

scores from other areas.

Henry was well marshalled - in fact, he had a poor day compared to his usual very high standards. But cometh the hour, cometh the man and he stepped up to the free after Tommy Walsh got sent off and fired it over, followed by an unstoppable penalty.

Only 4 points away from the record.

Tommy Walsh wasn't sent off ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

orangeman

orangeman

Jesus but DJ is losing the hair very badly.   

orangeman

That black helmet covered up a lot.

shaneo

Henry wasn't well marshalled, to me he was out played by Maher would had a great game on him.  Henry had to be moved off him in the second half. 

To me DJ was outstanding and lets not forget Larkin, Fitzpatrick, Brennan, Comerford and the likes are all fabulous hurlers (all as good or better than Henry) and as someone else said before, DJ never had that support around him.  DJ won many games for Kilkenny, games they never had a right to win, only for the greatness of DJ they won.  Henry never had to take such responsibility on his own.
"There's only one Peter Canavan"

INDIANA

Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2009, 12:48:15 AM
Quote from: shaneo on September 07, 2009, 12:41:06 AM
Henry wasn't well marshalled, to me he was out played by Maher would had a great game on him.  Henry had to be moved off him in the second half. 

To me DJ was outstanding and lets not forget Larkin, Fitzpatrick, Brennan, Comerford and the likes are all fabulous hurlers (all as good or better than Henry) and as someone else said before, DJ never had that support around him.  DJ won many games for Kilkenny, games they never had a right to win, only for the greatness of DJ they won.  Henry never had to take such responsibility on his own.
That's balls. Eamon Morrisey, John Power, Liam McCarthy, PJ Delany, Alan Ronan, Charlie Carter, Eddie Brennan and Henry Shefflin were just some of the forwards that played along with DJ.

Yep and most of them wouldn't make the current Kilkenny team. Only Morrrisey would.

INDIANA

DJ didn't have the best forwards playing with him in my view of that era- or anywhere like it.  Eamon Morrissey was the only other top class forward on those kilkenny teams. You obviously don't know your hurling from that era very well.