DJ Carey or Henry?

Started by Bud Wiser, August 10, 2009, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on August 11, 2009, 02:31:43 PM
There was no one like DJ to get goals however Henry is THE complete player.  At the weekend against Waterford with a score of 1-14 he became the top scorer in the history of the Championship overtaking Eddie Keher.  I loved DJ Carey but it has to be Shefflin for me.

Mmm looks like I was wrong on this.  Damn Wikipedia not a reliable source after all.  ;D

slow corner back

Quote from: INDIANA on September 07, 2009, 10:21:04 AM
DJ didn't have the best forwards playing with him in my view of that era- or anywhere like it.  Eamon Morrissey was the only other top class forward on those kilkenny teams. You obviously don't know your hurling from that era very well.
If you think John Power was not top class you are deluding yourself. John power was the archetypal Cody forward, never stopped tackling and ran himself into the ground. I would defintly have him above Comerford at CHF on my fantasy Cats team of the last 30 years. Comerford may score more goals but Power was a much better leader for the team. By the way DJ also overlapped with the tail end of Liam Fennellys career and he could hurl a bit too!

orangeman

John Power was a legend in a KK jersey. No doubt about it. Hard, brave man who could hurl with the best of them. When we think of this KK team, some people might baulk at the idea of mentioning Power when comparing this present day team. But as usual it's impossible to compare Power's team and this team given that it's a fair while ago.

gallsman

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 04, 2009, 04:55:42 PM
A great achievement but you can't compare his record with Eddie Keher's. There were a lot less games played in Keher's day.

There were 80 minute games in some of Keher's years too....

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2009, 12:34:31 AM
Quote from: Lecale2 on September 04, 2009, 04:55:42 PM
A great achievement but you can't compare his record with Eddie Keher's. There were a lot less games played in Keher's day.

There were 80 minute games in some of Keher's years too....

I see someone beat me to it!

For anyone born in the late 80s like myself, Carey was a hurling god. The black helmet, the faded green ash-guard, the blinding pace. He could turn on a sixpence and had the greatest wrists I've ever seen. His handball skills were so evident in his distribution- something you an see in Richie Hogan as well. I remember watching the quarter-final against Galway in Thurles in 1997. It was the first year the back door was brought in and a relatively poor Kilkenny team were being walloped by-half time. DJ went out and won the bloody thing for them, scoring 2-8 if I remember correctly.The year he came back in 2002 and got the All-Star after only playing the semi-final and final was incredible, epitomised by the score in the final. It was a very tired and finished Baker he left on his arse by the way Bud!

I'm aware I haven't answered the question and I don't intend to wither  :)

INDIANA

Quote from: slow corner back on September 07, 2009, 09:23:38 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 07, 2009, 10:21:04 AM
DJ didn't have the best forwards playing with him in my view of that era- or anywhere like it.  Eamon Morrissey was the only other top class forward on those kilkenny teams. You obviously don't know your hurling from that era very well.
If you think John Power was not top class you are deluding yourself. John power was the archetypal Cody forward, never stopped tackling and ran himself into the ground. I would defintly have him above Comerford at CHF on my fantasy Cats team of the last 30 years. Comerford may score more goals but Power was a much better leader for the team. By the way DJ also overlapped with the tail end of Liam Fennellys career and he could hurl a bit too!

Entitled to your opinion but I'd have Comerford ahead, better scoring record.

nutsy--1

Henry is more useful to a team as he is bigger and can play is various positions, but D.J. is the best person ive ever saw with a hurl

Capt Pat

Just to put things in perspective Henry scored 1 point from play on sunday out of a Kilkenny total of 2-22. Now the frees and penalty are important but he is probably not indispensable to Kilkenny at this stage. He really is Mr over rated on the Kilkenny team, an excellent player but still over rated. Joe canning will put Henrys career in its proper place over the next few years, a better player than Henry ever was already.

I think it would be true to say that Henry was the key member of the best ever Kilkenny team over the last decade but not the best hurler I have ever seen, from play or from the placed ball, DJ and Canning have him beaten on those levels.

orangeman

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 08, 2009, 11:45:17 PM
Just to put things in perspective Henry scored 1 point from play on sunday out of a Kilkenny total of 2-22. Now the frees and penalty are important but he is probably not indispensable to Kilkenny at this stage. He really is Mr over rated on the Kilkenny team, an excellent player but still over rated. Joe canning will put Henrys career in its proper place over the next few years, a better player than Henry ever was already.
I think it would be true to say that Henry was the key member of the best ever Kilkenny team over the last decade but not the best hurler I have ever seen, from play or from the placed ball, DJ and Canning have him beaten on those levels.

Bit premature with raising Joe to those dizzy heights I think. Long tem will tell the tale alright.

Over rated ? Don't think so. Ok he wasn't hectic on Sunday but over rated ? Na.

EddieMerx

Mr over rated on the Kilkenny team, an excellent player but still over rated. Joe canning will put Henrys career in its proper place over the next few years, a better player than Henry ever was already.

So if we take the best parts of different palyer and add them together then of course you would get a better player. We are dealing in the real world here where it is one players ability versus another. Joe Canning is a very fine player but it is very soon to be saying he is the greates ever and DJ for me simply hasn't as good an all round game as Henry

INDIANA

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 09, 2009, 09:46:45 AM
Mr over rated on the Kilkenny team, an excellent player but still over rated. Joe canning will put Henrys career in its proper place over the next few years, a better player than Henry ever was already.

So if we take the best parts of different palyer and add them together then of course you would get a better player. We are dealing in the real world here where it is one players ability versus another. Joe Canning is a very fine player but it is very soon to be saying he is the greates ever and DJ for me simply hasn't as good an all round game as Henry

I think the people who say DJ hadn't got an alll-round game must honestly have never seen him play.
Toss up for me, but DJ spent a lot of time carrying and playing with very average kilkenny teams. Henry has played with some of the best kilkenny hurlers of all time.
Very hard to judge in my view.

orangeman

Can we add a poll to this thread please and let us vote on it ?

EddieMerx

Quote from: INDIANA on September 09, 2009, 10:04:37 AM

I think the people who say DJ hadn't got an alll-round game must honestly have never seen him play.
Toss up for me, but DJ spent a lot of time carrying and playing with very average kilkenny teams. Henry has played with some of the best kilkenny hurlers of all time.
Very hard to judge in my view.

Indy I have seen DJ on many occasions and even hurled against Henry (who may I say was not Joe Canning or DJ in his early days) DJ was a very fine player but I suppose it comes down to opinion on this one. To Me Henry ticks a few more boxes than DJ which just gives him the edge.

Henry - Defensive, Size, Free Taking, Points scoring ability is better than DJ
DJ - Speed, Goal getting is better than Henry

If I were a Coach then Henry for me! also DJ did have some very fine forwards with him on the KK team so don't make out like he was playing with Carlow, you are also forgetting that DJ played in an era where defences were a little bit slower than todays defenders so speed was a major asset.

INDIANA

I don't agree at all. For example One of the finest displays ever was given by DJ in An-Ireland quarter final vs Galway. Playing on a very average kilkenny team he scored about 2-9 and was kicked from pillar to post for the whole game. I'm not sure Henry would have coped as well on an average team. There was far more liberal timber handed out in DJ's time as well. Nowadays with all the cameras its a rarity. 
Perhaps from 1994 to 1997 you'll point out the other top class forwards he played with on a consistent basis. Only Power really. Denis Byrne got injured. Charlie Carter was very much in and out, Morrissey was largely gone at that point. It was only when the likes of Henry came through he got any real help.

EddieMerx

That very average Kilkenny side was up against Offaly and Wexford who were good back then, that very average KK side would walk Leinster through the 2000's. It is simply a question of taste and values when comparing such fine hurlers, you prefer DJ and I prefer Henry