DJ Carey or Henry?

Started by Bud Wiser, August 10, 2009, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Well, which of them is/was the best.   I think after yesterday Henry comes close but it's hard to say.  Hard to forget the displays of Carey and the crowd chanting Dee-Jay, Dee-Jay and all them good days in Croker.  Carey took a lot more stick on the field but I suppose there is not much between them.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Kevin

Interesting discussion.

Will hope it is archived so I can remember to post on in about 5 years.

Bud Wiser

QuoteWill hope it is archived so I can remember to post on in about 5 years.

Can we elaborate a little please.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

orangeman

Call it looking back on the past or harking back to the good old days, but it has to be DJ for me. DJ could pick up the sliothar, take on 3/4 men and beat them on his own before scoring or passing to an opponent to take an easy score. DJ got a lot of treatment on the pitch but was able to ain a match on his own. There are still some who will say that he didn't produce on the big day but I'm not one of them.

As in all these things, it's hard and kind of unfair to make comparisons.

DJ didn't play on teams that were as good as this KK team when he started. Henry was born into a great team.

Both are geniuses. DJ shades it for me. Narrowly.

longrunsthefox

Funny-the same thought occurred to me last night watching the Sunday Game. Henry was magnificent yesterday although I enjoyed watching Nicky English more than either of them.  Anyway at a push... DJ

theskull1

There was something more romantic about the way DJ hurled. When he was on his game he was something else, but for me Henry shades it due to boring consistency over his entire career. DJ had a fair few bad performances on big days that I can recall.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bcarrier

Id say Henry takes as much abuse on the field but is better built to withstand it. Id say he is best i have seen.

Bord na Mona man

Henry is the better all round hurler and score taker.
DJ was the better goal scorer.

EddieMerx

King Henry for me, Henry is the complete package

Free taking - Henry
Point taking from play - Henry
Tacking - Henry
Strength/Power - Henry
Skill - Close call, possibly to close to call - even
Speed - DJ (Henry is no slouch but DJ had a serious burst of pace
Goal getting - DJ

Two great players

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: EddieMerx on August 10, 2009, 06:50:12 PM
King Henry for me, Henry is the complete package

Free taking - Henry
Point taking from play - Henry
Tacking - Henry
Strength/Power - Henry
Skill - Close call, possibly to close to call - even
Speed - DJ (Henry is no slouch but DJ had a serious burst of pace
Goal getting - DJ

Two great players

Same as that!
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

INDIANA

Lads henry played in a much better team. DJ hurled for years on his own in an average kilkenny team carrying it on his back. So its not as cut and dried as some have it. Its a lot easier to be brilliant on the best team of all time. Its hard to call but that has to be taken into account.

mouview

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Tony Baloney

Henry.

Granted this kilkenny team are awesome but is there really the same competition about as there was back when DJ was knocking about? The Cork old guard are done, Galway still aren't at the races, Waterford still can't cut it and it remains to be seen what challenge Tipp can make if, as expected, they make the final in a few weeks time.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: orangeman on August 10, 2009, 04:51:20 PM
Call it looking back on the past or harking back to the good old days, but it has to be DJ for me. DJ could pick up the sliothar, take on 3/4 men and beat them on his own before scoring or passing to an opponent to take an easy score. DJ got a lot of treatment on the pitch but was able to ain a match on his own. There are still some who will say that he didn't produce on the big day but I'm not one of them.

As in all these things, it's hard and kind of unfair to make comparisons.

DJ didn't play on teams that were as good as this KK team when he started. Henry was born into a great team.

Both are geniuses. DJ shades it for me. Narrowly.

Have to agree with that. Henry is playing with the greatest team ever. In every position they are better than any other team.
Has to be DJ. I seen things i will never see again on the Hurling pitch. DJ was a Genius