Kerry V Meath AI SF Semifinal 30th August 2009

Started by comethekingdom, August 09, 2009, 03:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meathie

hey, why am I gone back to being a newbie???  :-[

ballinaman

Best of luck to both teams,i think that Kerry should be well equipped to complete the job that a naive Mayo team failed to do. Have great time for Meath and Meath people, have lots of friends in Trim and I'm down a fair bit. However, who i don't have time for are the 15-25ish year old Meath supporters who were on the hill the last day.They could only be described as Shamrock Rovers Wannabe supporters. Serious gloating went on the last day, Kerry hammered Mayo out the gate a few times and there was no gloating by Kerry supporters, just was disappointing to see.

comethekingdom

Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2009, 02:49:15 PM
Best of luck to both teams,i think that Kerry should be well equipped to complete the job that a naive Mayo team failed to do. Have great time for Meath and Meath people, have lots of friends in Trim and I'm down a fair bit. However, who i don't have time for are the 15-25ish year old Meath supporters who were on the hill the last day.They could only be described as Shamrock Rovers Wannabe supporters. Serious gloating went on the last day, Kerry hammered Mayo out the gate a few times and there was no gloating by Kerry supporters, just was disappointing to see.

So True! I was on the Hill the day in 2001 when we got slaughtered by Meath and the antics of some of the Meath "supporters" was a disgrace.  :(

Jinxy

I've been out with Dublin friends after matches and they've been on the receiving end of plenty of gloating by Kerry fans over the last few years.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

agorm

Agreed, we seem to have got a fair share of these, wonder how many are out training & playing with their clubs?

comethekingdom

Quote from: Jinxy on August 20, 2009, 10:26:47 PM

I've been out with Dublin friends after matches and they've been on the receiving end of plenty of gloating by Kerry fans over the last few years.
Gloating may be ok sometimes in the right context but downright bad manners and ignorance - no excuse for it!

ballinaman

Just want to make it clear that I'm not saying Meath are the only county with eejits like those on the hill, every county has their fair share that let themselves down on match days....just that there seemed to be a larger amount than usual gathered together the last day on the hill supporting Meath!!

Hardy

Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2009, 10:54:13 PM
Just want to make it clear that I'm not saying Meath are the only county with eejits like those on the hill, every county has their fair share that let themselves down on match days....just that there seemed to be a larger amount than usual gathered together the last day on the hill supporting Meath!!

No larger that usual. The same little knot of soccer-inspired apes follows the team everywhere, with their synchronised finger-jabbing and inane chanting. Somebody mentioned there are15-25-ish of them. I'd say more than that, but he could have been talking about their age.

I don't think the 99% of sensible supporters feel the need to apologise for them - they have nothing to do with me anyway and I don't know what they think they're at. But anyone who upsets themselves about being "gloated" at by fifteen year-olds needs to give their head a shake.

Zapatista

I heard them singing 'come on you boys in (insert colour, i thought it was green?)'. It didn't work. It can't work.

Quote from: Hardy on August 21, 2009, 07:39:01 AM
But anyone who upsets themselves about being "gloated" at by fifteen year-olds needs to give their head a shake.

Yeah, let them have their bit of fun.

Hardy

Quote from: Zapatista on August 21, 2009, 07:54:10 AM
I heard them singing 'come on you boys in (insert colour, i thought it was green?)'. It didn't work. It can't work.

Indeed it was green. Never mind that the team was wearing gold. Take it as an indication of the level of originality, intelligence and feeling for the spirit of the game we're dealing with here. I just content myself with the fact that it's only the less sinister aspects of soccer culture that they feel the need to imitate.

Zapatista

Forgive me for going off topic here,

I remember the Laois fans in croker chanting Lee-eech over and over. It sounded really weird putting it in two syllables. It didn't work either.

ballinaman

Quote from: Zapatista on August 21, 2009, 07:54:10 AM

Quote from: Hardy on August 21, 2009, 07:39:01 AM
But anyone who upsets themselves about being "gloated" at by fifteen year-olds needs to give their head a shake.

Yeah, let them have their bit of fun.

Big time. Didn't bother me in the slightest, just was disappointing and just underlines how many jump on the band-wagon supporters are out there!! How many of them went to the league matches I'd love to know!! The finger pointing and chanting routine is obviously an attempt to imitate the Dubs, I heard one of them trying to get the chant "Hill 16 is Royal Only" going. I had to laugh, so many things wrong with that it's hard to know where to begin. Anyways, point has been made. Best of luck to both teams and may the real supporters of each team enjoy a victory!

thejuice

Well, Donaghy is back training by all accounts. Not good news from our perspective but if he plays it wont be the full 70.

For us, Kevin Reilly is also rumoured to be back in the swing of things but considering he hasn't played since the Dublin game he'll be a bit rusty I'd imagine but might be brought in at some stage at full back and let Moyles out the field possibly.

It will be interesting to see how we try to play, like against Mayo will we persevere  with a long ball into the forwards. Its that type of ball thte the kerry backs are well able to play, I guess we just have to trust our forwards have the beating of them.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Quote from: Zapatista on August 21, 2009, 09:05:32 AM
Forgive me for going off topic here,

I remember the Laois fans in croker chanting Lee-eech over and over. It sounded really weird putting it in two syllables. It didn't work either.

Sure we do the same.   :D
MEE-AD.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zapatista

Cork in a final are a scary prospect for any team. Hope Meath can do it, it would be a refreshing final if nothing else.