Darragh Ó Sé - 81 championship games !

Started by comethekingdom, August 03, 2009, 11:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Darragh is a class act...no doubt....but for me Jacko was the complete midfielder...what about his goal in the All Ireland final...had it all.

rrhf

Hes the best middleman  I have seen, to be honest - a complete midfielder.  How many aimedals has he got now?

Mid Down Gael

O'Se has won 5 all ireland senior medals, 9 munster championships and four All Stars Awards for his performances, in 2000, 2002, 2006 and 2007.  He has also won the national football league title with Kerry on 3 occasions in 1997 and 2006 and 2009. Unreal and all in the number 8 jersey. Legend.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: blanketattack on August 04, 2009, 02:48:32 PM
I can't see Jacko being surpassed. He won player of the year four times and was probably in the top 3 players of the year six times.
Since Jacko last won player of the year award in '85 no player has won player of the year more than once, although a few Tyrone and Kerry players could do it this year.

trevor giles?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Doire abú

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 04, 2009, 04:35:00 PM
I can't see Jacko being surpassed. He won player of the year four times and was probably in the top 3 players of the year six times.
Since Jacko last won player of the year award in '85 no player has won player of the year more than once, although a few Tyrone and Kerry players could do it this year.

trevor giles?

Think he won it once just. Pat Spillane might have won his second in 86 though!

Doire abú

79 Championship games is some going. Think he's also made nealry 100 league apps.

Is 79 a record? Who else would be in the top ten?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Doire abú on August 04, 2009, 04:44:47 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 04, 2009, 04:35:00 PM

trevor giles?

Think he won it once just. Pat Spillane might have won his second in 86 though!
trevor giles def won the allstars player of the year twice, unles  you mean the texaco footballer of the year?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Doire abú on August 04, 2009, 04:45:41 PM
79 Championship games is some going. Think he's also made nealry 100 league apps.

Yeah Darragh is the most capped championship player off all time. Not sure who is close to him. I am near sure they where all at number 8 also. I have no memories off him with another number on his back only this year against Cork when he wore 18 and was on very early. Thats some appearances in a position which is physically the toughest. Brut off a man.

western exile

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 04, 2009, 07:04:29 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on August 04, 2009, 04:45:41 PM

Yeah Darragh is the most capped championship player off all time. Not sure who is close to him. I am near sure they where all at number 8 also. I have no memories off him with another number on his back only this year against Cork when he wore 18 and was on very early. Thats some appearances in a position which is physically the toughest. Brut off a man.
That stat is misleading as there are more games now, with quarter-finals and qualifiers.    We really  need pre- and post- 2000 / 2001 stats.
But some achievement all the same. Congrats to the man.

I am not old enough to have seen Mick O'Connell,  but I did have the pleasure of watching Colm McAlarney and Jack O'Shea,  whom I would consider the 2 best midfielders that I have seen

orangeman

As always, it's hard to compare both men. Jacko ended his days against Clare at full forward I think. Dara is still in the engine room plcking ball.

ONeill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Adz-ggfNE&feature=related

Tis like a car-crash - don't want to look but keep going back. At 0.40 Dara should've ended Pat's tenure a bit early.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mckieran

QuoteNo apologies from Paddy ... This is what he wrote today :

- Those readers and acquaintances who are calling for me to apologise for my obituary on Kerry football last week will have to wait.

I'm sticking by my comments. I never said the Dubs would beat Kerry. (Everybody beats the Dubs.)

But I did state that Kerry would get beaten in Croke Park this summer. Until such times as I'm proved wrong, no humble pie will be eaten.

I think he could be digging a bigger hole for himself here

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ONeill on August 12, 2009, 03:30:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Adz-ggfNE&feature=related

Tis like a car-crash - don't want to look but keep going back. At 0.40 Dara should've ended Pat's tenure a bit early.

Surprised Pat wasn't faced with something like this after the show. His nextdoor neighbours would've been the least of his worries!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

The Aristocrat

Darragh is some man allright. Probably the best midfielder we will see for awhile. 79 Championship games is a great record but a lot of the old schoolers did it with no back door, less matches.

John O leary-(Wiki)-after having played an incredible 70 consecutive championship matches in the championship between 1980 and 1997.[1] His record of 70 consecutive appearances hasn't been replicated by any other GAA player let alone a Dublin player. In his impressive inter-county career he appeared in Croke Park on 47 occasions. Mattie McCabe of Meath was the most successful player against John, scoring a total of three goals. He conceded just 51 goals in his 70 game championship career for Dublin.

A good record also.

BallyhaiseMan

some record, from one of the greatest Players of all time,
I wonder would he hang the boots up if they beat Tyrone in the All Ireland Final this year?