AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 24, 2009, 04:14:02 PM
I think there was a cockiness in the air yesterday surrounding Tyrone in my eyes, they had their eyes on the 2 in a row and going down as a 'great team' and forgot about a semi final against Cork, i know a lot of Tyrone people who had Rooms booked for the All ireland w'end, 
i even know one person who in Jan of this year would not book a holiday in sept because of the All ireland even though it was £250 cheaper,

Tyrone yesterday reminded me of Armagh in 06, just not at the races, lets be honest guys, they werent really tested this year bar a 1st half performance by Kildare, it does not say much for the rest of Ulster at them min,

Makes sense to me... you live in hope of getting to the final and wouldn't want to be stuck hundreds of miles away. ..  rooms can also be cancelled

JMohan

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2009, 04:14:48 PM
Ara lads, don't get hung up on people using the wrong terminology. It's the spirit of what they mean that's important. I think the the better teams are playing better and more phyiscally and mentally tuned in later in the year. If that's a stroke of managerial genius, or luck combined with momentum of winning games while playing poorly (relatively), it still amounts to the same thing.

Sometimes a cliche is a cliche because it's true. Good teams are at their most formidable in August/September.
Yerrah ok I agree on that

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on August 24, 2009, 04:18:08 PM
Ara lads, don't get hung up on people using the wrong terminology. It's the spirit of what they mean that's important. I think the the better teams are playing better and more phyiscally and mentally tuned in later in the year. If that's a stroke of managerial genius, or luck combined with momentum of winning games while playing poorly (relatively), it still amounts to the same thing.

Sometimes a cliche is a cliche because it's true. Good teams are at their most formidable in August/September.

But you have to be in the competition in August/September. the fact that Kerry were there this year was largely down to the soft draw. Had they drawn Derry for example they'd have been beaten. The fact of the matter is they drew 3 div 4 teams and were able to regroup.

Zulu

QuoteOk, you're either taking the piss now or just stupid – honestly

Hmmm

QuoteYou're not reading what I'm saying at all – or you're just a WUM.

Yes you've caught me I'm a WUM, stupid indeed. ::) ::)

QuoteOf course training is training – but after a training phase there is a period where the athlete is at a level where they can perform near their current potential.

What does that mean? A nonsense sentence.

QuotePeaking is being near your current potential.

If that's true then you are peaking all year round. For example I can run 5 miles in about 40 minutes at the moment, so if I run 5 miles tomorrow and do it in 41 minutes I've run close to my current potential and by your definition I've peaked. In a months time I'd expect to be able to run 5 miles in 35 minutes or thereabouts and if I do that according to you I'll still be peaking. Stupidity indeed.

QuotePeaking is having the person in a state of readiness that they can express as close as possible to their Current Potential.

You do know what a peak is don't you?

stew

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2009, 01:53:19 AM
QuoteYou havent a clue sheehy, your level of hatred for tyrone and to a lesser extent Armagh is incredible, you were slabberin a while ago about the pony being disrespected and that the minors would keep that in mind? what the feck was that all about? it didnt do them much good though did it.

Tyrone are worthy champions, they owned kerry for years and you havent the class to admit that. Tyrone are a tremendous team, were a tremendous time any way you cut it and you have been the most negative gobshite on this board on the run up to this game.

I hope Meath bate youse, failing that Cork will hammer ye by 8 or 9 points and i think that would be even funnier. I would have been aneutral in the AI but if you somehow make it I will be hoping that Cork bate ye up and down the field.

be quiet you nutter. You're always liable to go off on your little rants. You,  with your head stuck up Tyrones arses. I suppose you have no choice given the epic failure of your own county..what is it again 1 AI out of 7 Ulsters ? pathetic

What kind of drugs are you on these days Sheehy, you are a bitter wee man and hate to see any Ulster team do well. i cant abide Tyrone but they are a tremendous team and i can take the rose tinted glasses off long enough to admit that.

You are shitting bricks, you know your team is shite and the mere thought of having to play Cork and get the shite kicked out of you is more than you can bear, hence the miserable bastid that you are these days. You hopefully wont have to worry about it because in all likelyhood you wont meet tham. C'mon the rebels. ;)

As for armagh, we have one AI and i was there Mike,it was the best day of my life and I have you and the rest of kerry to thank for it, you played your small part just like your crappy minor team did yesterday.  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2009, 04:26:21 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 24, 2009, 04:18:08 PM

But you have to be in the competition in August/September. the fact that Kerry were there this year was largely down to the soft draw. Had they drawn Derry for example they'd have been beaten. The fact of the matter is they drew 3 div 4 teams and were able to regroup.
Yes - but who said you only peak once?

Zulu

Not you anyway as you seem to think people are constantly peaking.

tyroneman

Suprised we didnt use the 40 yards of empty space behind midfield better. Rather than run the ball out we could have knocked early ball into son who had the beating of lynch 1 on 1. Would have been good to see tyrone at 100% form and fitness but sine e for another year. Good luck to cork in the final.

johnneycool

I was wondering if the likes of Mike McCarthy coming in late to the Kerry team, probably missing all the killing winter training at 30 odd years of age and yet still able to hold down a pivotal position against, younger, fitter lads not speak volumes for the old addage of it being better to be fresh than fit?

I've probably jinxed him now for sunday!!

JMohan

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2009, 04:28:53 PM
QuoteOk, you're either taking the piss now or just stupid – honestly

Hmmm

QuoteYou're not reading what I'm saying at all – or you're just a WUM.

Yes you've caught me I'm a WUM, stupid indeed. ::) ::)

QuoteOf course training is training – but after a training phase there is a period where the athlete is at a level where they can perform near their current potential.

What does that mean? A nonsense sentence.

QuotePeaking is being near your current potential.

If that's true then you are peaking all year round. For example I can run 5 miles in about 40 minutes at the moment, so if I run 5 miles tomorrow and do it in 41 minutes I've run close to my current potential and by your definition I've peaked. In a months time I'd expect to be able to run 5 miles in 35 minutes or thereabouts and if I do that according to you I'll still be peaking. Stupidity indeed.

QuotePeaking is having the person in a state of readiness that they can express as close as possible to their Current Potential.

You do know what a peak is don't you?
You do know what training is don't you?

There is no way you're going to admit someone else might be right are you?

Let's take your example to try and placate you.

Your Absolute Human Potential is possibly 5 miles in 30 minutes lets say...
You run 5 miles in 40 minutes now 
Your Current Potential is possibly 38 minutes 
If you went out and ran a max effort and peaked that's what you should expect to hit - 38 mins
If you do that then that was peaking.
If you exceed it - you've peaked and overloaded and do that a few times and you've moved your potential up to 37 minutes or so.

Peaking is where you reach a peak - and once you reach it the peak moves.

The only things that never moves is your Absolute Human Potential - which is debateable - but it's at the limits of human performance for your race/age/genes etc etc etc 

If you can't take the time to read that and try and understand it don't bother ... 

JMohan

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2009, 04:32:07 PM
Not you anyway as you seem to think people are constantly peaking.
Of course they are - what is Usain Bolt doing every time he breaks the world record and Pb's?
What is a PB except peaking for the games/championships etc

Or maybe he's not peaking of course  ::)

longrunsthefox

Two in total... you're having a laugh  ;)

Zulu

QuoteIf you can't take the time to read that and try and understand it don't bother ... 

You should heed your own advice.

QuoteYou do know what training is don't you?

Do you?

QuoteYour Absolute Human Potential is possibly 5 miles in 30 minutes lets say...
You run 5 miles in 40 minutes now 
Your Current Potential is possibly 38 minutes 
If you went out and ran a max effort and peaked that's what you should expect to hit - 38 mins
If you do that then that was peaking.

That isn't peaking, that's me improving and has nothing to do what we're talking about as by your definition as long as your improving your peaking. The point I've constantly made and the one which you can't seem to understand is a coach can't do anything to guarantee that a team will reach a peak in 3 months time or whatever, he can improve them over that time and they should be better able to perform in 3 months than a=they are now but that isn't peaking.

QuotePeaking is where you reach a peak - and once you reach it the peak moves.

By that definition you could peak almost every week.

QuoteThere is no way you're going to admit someone else might be right are you?

I have an opinion, which is that as a coach you can't get 30 players to peak on a given day at some point in the distant future. I've argued that point and attempted to support it by explaining it logically. It has nothing to do with being right or wrong and if you were able to explain how a coach can get 30 players to peak for a particular day I'd accept it but all you've done is termed improving as peaking which is wrong.

QuoteIf you can't take the time to read that and try and understand it don't bother ...

Right back at you and if you can't discuss an issue without accussing others of being WUMs or Stupid maybe you shouldn't bother.

JMohan

Your knowledge of coaching must be limited if you think someone can 'peak' every week!  ;D

How the hell can you expect to PB every week?

Your confusing peaking with training now and seem to think that you can't train and peak often in the same season or the phasic nature of adaptation to training.   
You don't understand what peaking is in team sports - and it is possible to prime players to perform at a current medium-term peak as you have to do in SFC games.   
It's a big task to peak multiple players - but you can get the majority of the team near their peak - well enough to perform on cue. 

But it doesn't matter at this stage - you're obviously not going to change your opinion and I've better things to do than try and explain to someone who doesn't want to.

INDIANA

But whats the difference between peaking and playing well? I can't see the difference.