AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2009, 05:03:49 PM
Tyrone would have won if they got fair play. Whatever about O'Connor, Canty and Miskella should have walked and Tyrone players were not awarded frees when they should have been. Cork got handy frees and were allowed to overcarry.

A risible assertion, although unsurprising for that.

Zulu

QuoteYour knowledge of coaching must be limited if you think someone can 'peak' every week!

It's you who said this, you said if you are within 10% of your current peak performance you are peaking and by that definition you could be peaking every week.

QuoteYour confusing peaking with training now

I'm afraid it is you who is confusing them.

QuoteYou don't understand what peaking is in team sports - and it is possible to prime players to perform at a current medium-term peak as you have to do in SFC games.   
It's a big task to peak multiple players - but you can get the majority of the team near their peak - well enough to perform on cue. 

I certainly do know what peaking is in team sports, I'm just pointing out to you that it can't be done. You can improve the players in many ways but most teams aerobic fitness reduces later in the year but their speed is probably better so you when your talking about peaking in team sports it is a very wishy washy notion. Throw in injuries, different training histories, different levels of application, different club games/training etc. and it is impossible to get them to peak, even by your dubious definition.

QuoteBut it doesn't matter at this stage - you're obviously not going to change your opinion and I've better things to do than try and explain to someone who doesn't want to.

Grow up FFS, I'm always looking to learn in this area and if you, or anybody else, were able to show that I am wrong about something I'd take it on. But you haven't you've been unable to explain how you can get 30 lads to peak for a given date or dates. And as a result you've resorted to mild abuse and hissy fits.

DuffleKing

peaking is an athletic term, applicable only partially to football

SidelineKick

I wonder why Colm Cavanagh didnt come on.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

JMohan

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 24, 2009, 05:22:45 PM

peaking is an athletic term, applicable only partially to football
I think it's very applicable from the physical aspect and also to a large degree mental - but that would just open a whole new can of worms!

brokencrossbar1

Great coaches know how to get their team to "peak" at the right times of the year.  It is not essential to be at your best at every given game and to ensure that your body is capable of maintaining itself at the right level training has to be geared towards that.  I played on a team that won 3 AI's in 4 years.  I was never the fittest and JK knew that.  he did though know when we had to be at pur best.  There was never any point in us being flying fit in April if we were fcuked by August. 

I reckon JoC has taken this approach with Kerry this year.  He geared his training after the Cork game for them to be at thier peak in August.  That is why they were fresh and flying against the Dubs.  If they beat Meath(which I think they will after a tight game)  it will be interesting to see who is the sharpest in the Final.  Cork wound down their training before the Limerick game which showed in thier lethargic performance.  It paid off.  They will train very little this week, they will be with their clubs and will wind it up next week to be "peaking" for the Final.  Your body needs to be tuned to playing at a particular level and you mind does too.  This is "peaking"

longrunsthefox

...going to miss going to the victory banquet this year  :'(

Zulu

I think you are misusing the term 'peaking' there BC1, all any coach can do is prepare the team for the demands of the game and you would hope that your training will allow the players to continure to improve throughout the year. This is true of every team, so the idea that Kerry are pacing themselves while others may not be is nonsense IMO. I would be very surprised if Kerry's fitness test results didn't compare favourably to any other counties at any stage this year.

mckieran

Cork deserved to win but very disappointed with their 2nd half attitude when they did become very cynical and really Tyrone should have had a few more more frees than they got. Reminded me a little of Mayo against Galway in that Mayo were far superior but then started fouling all around them and it almost cost them the game.
Also thought Corks tackling wasnt great. Another ref would have given more frees to Tyrone, no question. But then Tyrone cant really complain cos they wrongly had an extra man. But then, Didnt Miskella stay on the pitch? See these things always balance out!

SidelineKick

Not to mention the Tyrone kickouts that didnt go past the 21.

Also, did anyone else notice on 3 or 4 seperate occasions that the big screens in Croker showed replays of fouls. I thought they weren't supposed to do this?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2009, 06:09:05 PM
I think you are misusing the term 'peaking' there BC1, all any coach can do is prepare the team for the demands of the game and you would hope that your training will allow the players to continure to improve throughout the year. This is true of every team, so the idea that Kerry are pacing themselves while others may not be is nonsense IMO. I would be very surprised if Kerry's fitness test results didn't compare favourably to any other counties at any stage this year.

I am not misusing it zulu.  I know from experience as a player and a coach you change you approach to training to ensure that players are at certain level depending on the game.  The human body will not take full bel training all the time as it will blow out. 

tyssam5

Peaking debate to separate thread maybe lads? Getting a bit boring.

Everyone knew this Cork team had the players, but big question marks have supposedly existed over their mental ability to win big games (or is this only V Kerry?). Not sure if that really got answered yesterday, Tyrone certainly did not play well enough to rigorously examine these supposedly weak 'psychological credentials'.

Like a few posters mentioned earlier the period after half-time was crucial, I wasn't confident but I was hoping that maybe we could hit a purple patch like the last time get it back to within a goal and make a tight finish of it. Once we missed the free and it went back to 5 point game I thought that was it. Cork closed the game out well, though how much of that was us playing very badly I don't know. Turned over more ball in that one game than we would have done in whole seasons in winning years.

A lot have mentioned the HF line being quite weak yesterday, one man who I feel has been a bit of an unsung hero (in big Croke Park games as least) has been Mellon, is it crazy to suggest he would have been a good asset yesterday had he been fit?

But anyways good luck to Cork in the final whomever they meet.

Fear ón Srath Bán

First off, well done Cork; they had a plan, and boy did they make it stick. Their greater pace, power and precision were too much for us on the day, a day on which we looked but a shadow of the team we often are. No greater testimony to the lethargy on the day were the vast swathes of an empty Croke with not a single Tír Eoghain jersey in sight, particularly when we had the numerical advantage, and space that we'd generally devour. Cork will take some beating in the final, and if they show the same levels of application and industry I don't see them being beaten, regardless of the victors on Sunday next.

What's with Spillane? A few weeks ago he couldn't speak highly enough of Mickey Harte and Tyrone, though in private in Louth, but once again goes and makes a complete ass of himself in public. He may be correct to a degree of course, Kerry have won the All-Ireland more than anyone else this decade, and what's more they put two titles back-to-back, something that we've found well-nigh impossible to do, despite having taken the less tortuous path via the Ulster Championship (the fact that we have to contend with Ulster and Kerry have to contend 'only' with Munster may be a factor, but that's another discussion). Nonetheless, the legs were not there, and the necessary energy levels could not be mined. And whilst Kerry may be indisputably and technically the team of the decade, I suspect that the team that will persist longest in the public consciousness as having captured the essence best, and been most emblematic of the decade will be Tyrone (followed by Armagh  :)). And is he seriously suggesting that Tyrone aren't great team based on a single performance yesterday, even though this team has beaten his own great Kerry team 100% of the games this decade, on no fewer than three occasions? If he is, he's on the wrong side of the asylum wall, and I know that all decent Kingdom agree with me on that one  ;)

It could be the end of the road for Brian Dooher, and what a servant to the county's cause he has been. Ni bheidh a leithid aris ann sa geansai Thír Eoghain.

And well done to the Armagh Minors, much the better team. 'Tis a pity though our cheering for them was not reciprocated with some of the Armagh folk  ???

A couple of words on the ref: bloody awful

We haven't gone away you know.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 24, 2009, 06:29:19 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2009, 06:09:05 PM

I am not misusing it zulu.  I know from experience as a player and a coach you change you approach to training to ensure that players are at certain level depending on the game.  The human body will not take full bel training all the time as it will blow out.

Of course not but it is fanciful to think that 25 players doing the same training will all be at a peak for a given day. The point I'm making is that as a coach you can't, for example,  say I'll have all the lads peaking for Sunday 6 weeks. All you can do is train them to improve over the course of the season. As tyssam5 said this topic shouldn't really be discussed here but any coach that thinks he can actually design a training program which will get 25-30 athletically diverse men, some of whom are training/playing with other teams to peak on one or more days in the future is fooling himself.

Brendans abu

Quote from: mckieran on August 24, 2009, 06:14:35 PM
Cork deserved to win but very disappointed with their 2nd half attitude when they did become very cynical and really Tyrone should have had a few more more frees than they got. Reminded me a little of Mayo against Galway in that Mayo were far superior but then started fouling all around them and it almost cost them the game.
Also thought Corks tackling wasnt great. Another ref would have given more frees to Tyrone, no question. But then Tyrone cant really complain cos they wrongly had an extra man. But then, Didnt Miskella stay on the pitch? See these things always balance out!

Tyrone got 3 scores from free's that weren't as it is.