Kevin McStay: blind or biased?

Started by Leo, August 02, 2009, 10:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Tohill, Brolly and O Cinneide are the ones I rate, the rest say the same the same things over and over again and despite what theyve won are bluffers in terms of Analysis. Tactically some of them show feck all knowledge which is disapointing considering the level they played at.

Outside of the top5 they know feck all about the counties players, and anyways on predicting teams winning I would whoop spillanes ass anyday although he has AIs and Allstars aplenty.

McStay did manage mayo u21s to a 3-14 to 1-5 humiliating defeat to Sligo...not sure what else he did at management level.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stephenite

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 12:26:25 PM
I'm told Lyons is still a pretty close advisor to Gilroy

Serious? I'd be shocked if that was the case

brokencrossbar1

For every good pundit you'll have a clampit!  McStay is very opinionated with very little substance.  Lyons is a fool.  Tony Davies is ok, harmless really and really gets it right.  Tohill and Dara O are the most concise and clear thinking pundits.  The three Stooges though are the best entertainment!

On the referee point, I am delighted for Paudie.  An old friend of mine who grew up round the road from me.  He got a lot of stick for being picky, but I think he has gained a lot of experience in the last year and has improved as a referee.  He is starting to get the big games and it is standing to him.  Like every player a ref will make decisions that are wrong, but outside of the time issue he got most things right the other day.  The overcarrying one was a big call to get right. In days gone by a ref may have allowed him to go on and get the shot away given the fact that it would be the equaliser and then the accusation of playing for a draw would be trotted out.  He called it right and fair play to him.  Hopefully he will get more games than the ref formerly known as Kineavey who is an idiot!!!

orchardexile

Did you hear McStay yesterday commenting that the Kerry handpassing was bordering on the edge  as the Dubs were getting hammered early on in the match 

I can't stand his comments. 

You can tell normally very early in the match which team he is going for !!!

JMohan

I think some management experience is a help

JMohan

Quote from: orchardexile on August 04, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
Did you hear McStay yesterday commenting that the Kerry handpassing was bordering on the edge  as the Dubs were getting hammered early on in the match 

What did he mean?

Well he hated Armagh anyway :)

stephenite

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:32:24 PM
I think some management experience is a help

McStay managed the Mayo U-21's to an All Ireland final I think, beaten by Tyrone with Cavanagh, McAnallen et al.

Doogie Browser

I watched the Sunday game again last night and McStay was adamant Kerry would win yesterday whilst Tony (pregnant pause) Davis went for the Dubs! 

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 04, 2009, 02:05:36 PM
I watched the Sunday game again last night and McStay was adamant Kerry would win yesterday whilst Tony (pregnant pause) Davis went for the Dubs! 

Have to hand him that one. I thought he was foolish predicting Kerry but he should take a bow for that one.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

talktothehand

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:33:09 PM
Quote from: orchardexile on August 04, 2009, 01:28:45 PM

What did he mean?

Well he hated Armagh anyway :)

on the edge? not bono or larry then?

Davitt Man

Thank god they got rid of Bernard Flynn, he was a disaster!

Louth Exile

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 04, 2009, 12:57:36 PM
For every good pundit you'll have a clampit!  McStay is very opinionated with very little substance.  Lyons is a fool.  Tony Davies is ok, harmless really and really gets it right.  Tohill and Dara O are the most concise and clear thinking pundits.  The three Stooges though are the best entertainment!

He is probably the worst of them all, always seems to get the Louth games for some reason, really doesn't have a clue. Needs his notes for everything, as was witnessed with his rabbit in the headlights incident.

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 04, 2009, 03:56:18 PM

Gone to Radio 1 it seems, so if you are unfortunate enough to be travelling while a game is on, you get Bernies dulcet tones!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

JMohan

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 04, 2009, 05:39:53 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 04, 2009, 12:57:36 PM

He is probably the worst of them all, always seems to get the Louth games for some reason, really doesn't have a clue. Needs his notes for everything, as was witnessed with his rabbit in the headlights incident.

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 04, 2009, 03:56:18 PM

Gone to Radio 1 it seems, so if you are unfortunate enough to be travelling while a game is on, you get Bernies dulcet tones!!

To be fair to him the last day he didn't let Micheal get away with saying that nothing had happened in Kerry etc

macdanger2

I have to say Spillane has talked a lot more sense since he returned to the analysts side of the panel. Most of what he says is fairly bang on - especially his comments earlier in the season about a lot of players with sh*te basic skills..

JMohan

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2009, 03:30:40 AM
I have to say Spillane has talked a lot more sense since he returned to the analysts side of the panel. Most of what he says is fairly bang on - especially his comments earlier in the season about a lot of players with sh*te basic skills..
I noticed that too
I think it's because he knows he can't be any more controversial than Brolly