Kevin McStay: blind or biased?

Started by Leo, August 02, 2009, 10:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: JMohan on August 02, 2009, 04:02:18 PM
Turnovers comes from his 'experience' with basketball watching his brother in law

Yes and it sickens my hole that everyone else uses it as well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Louth Exile

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 02, 2009, 04:12:16 PM
Quote- It was a ridiculously harsh call to blow the run ball at the end, then to just play 2 mins and once Limerick won the kickout, to not at least give them one last chance.

I didnt see the game, was it the correct call? Did the player overrun?

Technically he did over run it by a step or two (Max), but it is something that players get away with all the time, that game included. Yes, it is technically a correct call, but to put it in to context it was harsh.
Again, just to put it in context, I admit it was previous ref calls that put Limerick back into the game!! (I repeat, thats coming from a Louth man)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

tyssam5

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 02, 2009, 05:40:58 PM
Turnovers comes from his 'experience' with basketball watching his brother in law

Yes and it sickens my hole that everyone else uses it as well.

You're a grumpy wee man today. What's wrong with used the term, people know what it means and it is succinct.

the one I don't like that has crept into football analysis periodically is 'gain-line'

tyssam5

Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2009, 04:51:17 PM
Yes.  I don't know what "harsh" means - he broke the rule or he didn't.

He did.

Wow! A man who thinks there is no room for ambiguity in the rules of a field-sport. You need to start coaching some refs if you have it figured out that well!

tyssam5

Oh and on the subject of the thread I would go with 'blind' and add arrogant. McStay is my least favorite analyst, reminds me of an annoying know-it-all teacher condescending to pupils.

Hardy

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 02, 2009, 07:09:08 PM

He did.

Wow! A man who thinks there is no room for ambiguity in the rules of a field-sport. You need to start coaching some refs if you have it figured out that well!

You make take four steps. He took more. Where's the ambiguity?

tyssam5

Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2009, 07:48:23 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on August 02, 2009, 07:09:08 PM

He did.

You make take four steps. He took more. Where's the ambiguity?

Out on the field in every game of gaelic football I have ever watched!

If games were played in a court of law with rule books in hand you might have a point, but they are not and so you are being a tad pedantic. IMO.

Hardy

I'm not talking about every game you ever watched. Or about any other incident in this game. Someone who didn't see the game asked asked did he overcarry. I obliged by answering that he did. Do you disagree?

Main Street

There is no doubt that he over carried.
What obviated the ref's decision was that the Limerick player, in that split second before deciding to go through the tackle, should have hopped the ball, he had ample opportunity.

tyssam5

Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2009, 07:57:59 PM
I'm not talking about every game you ever watched. Or about any other incident in this game. Someone who didn't see the game asked asked did he overcarry. I obliged by answering that he did. Do you disagree?

Never seen it. Was just surprised that you claim to have no understanding of what 'harsh' means in the context of football.

HowAreYeGettinOn

McStay is harmless enough.

Rather him than Marty 'Wonderful' Morrissey or Ger 'It's a Huge One' Canning.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

There's been a few games where I've thought, what are you on about Mc Stay, he is a bit of a tube. Its ok acting a tube on post/mid match analysis (Brolly or Spillane anyone?), but thats what we tune in for.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

muppet

His full brother played basketball for Ireland. ::)
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2009, 11:11:16 PM

His full brother played basketball for Ireland. ::)

McStay was a handy ball player too. I think he coached Ballina to a National Cup in 1996 as well.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

A Quinn Martin Production

Interesting that a referee is getting stick for making a correct decision ???
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties