Kevin McStay: blind or biased?

Started by Leo, August 02, 2009, 10:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 03, 2009, 12:40:29 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2009, 11:11:16 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 02, 2009, 04:02:18 PM
Turnovers comes from his 'experience' with basketball watching his brother in law

His full brother played basketball for Ireland. ::)

McStay was a handy ball player too. I think he coached Ballina to a National Cup in 1996 as well.

Did he ever win anything in football?

stephenite

Quote from: JMohan on August 03, 2009, 01:09:02 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 03, 2009, 12:40:29 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2009, 11:11:16 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 02, 2009, 04:02:18 PM
Turnovers comes from his 'experience' with basketball watching his brother in law

His full brother played basketball for Ireland. ::)

McStay was a handy ball player too. I think he coached Ballina to a National Cup in 1996 as well.

Did he ever win anything in football?

All Star and a couple of provincial medals. Broke his leg twice, was robbed of his best years

JMohan

I suppose what qualifies someone to sit on the seat on RTE?

Tohill - a few All Stars, Ulsters, Player of the Year, All Ireland
Spillane - Bags of brass, Texaco awards out the door, hat full of AI's
O'Rourke - AI's, Leinsters All Stars etc MOTM's
Brolly - AI and 2 All Stars
O'Cinnedie - a few AI's and All Stars, MOTM's etc

Lyons? - Leinsters as a manager
McStay - Connacht titles and an All Star

Don't rate the last two at all

stephenite

I don't think bags of medals and awards means your opinion is any less valid. Majority of them are picked for an ability to communicate their opinions in a consice and cogent manner. That you don't agree with some of those opinions is fine, but doesn't mean the insights of those that won less are of a lesser quality than those that won more.

I think Spillane and Brolly are purely in place to put of shock, controversy and indeed comedy - but they talk a hell of a lot of shite about football matters.

JMohan

Quote from: stephenite on August 03, 2009, 02:12:30 PM
I don't think bags of medals and awards means your opinion is any less valid. Majority of them are picked for an ability to communicate their opinions in a consice and cogent manner. That you don't agree with some of those opinions is fine, but doesn't mean the insights of those that won less are of a lesser quality than those that won more.

I think Spillane and Brolly are purely in place to put of shock, controversy and indeed comedy - but they talk a hell of a lot of shite about football matters.
Yes Spillane and Brolly are clowns 99% of the time - but they know it and try to be funny. McStay takes himself too far too seriously.
Brolly pretends he knows it all - but he's no football expert at all. Far from it.

I think experience of having won something is important and very useful to be able to comment properly.

McStay moans about any physical contact which you never hear O'Rourke, O'Cinnede on about or any of the others which IMO is significant too.
I think him and Lyons are out of their depth.

yellowcard

McStay is an annoying pundit but an even more annoying co-commentator. Constantly tries to dramatise the smallest of incidents and loves highlighting any incidens involving physical contsct. He also has an annoying habit of over using the phrases 'he nailed it' and 'big hit'.

talktothehand

did you hear the clown today saying the dublin full forward line was the best in the business?? the man's a knob!!

comethekingdom

Aye, but on the Sunday Game he tipped Kerry to beat Dublin whereas the langer was adamant that the Dubs were going to win!

JMohan

I'd get rid of them all except for Tohill and O'Cinnede

longrunsthefox

I think you'll find Brolly gets most of them right and reads a game well...

JMohan

Yeh ... after the match

You can't listen to him anyway ... a dose

I laughed at hims after the match "Ah that result was to be expected ..."
Well why didn't you say that BEFORE the game????

longrunsthefox

He reads a game well... this tipping who will win can be a bt of a lottery especially when you see what happened today and Kerry's recent form... Antrim beating Donegal, Donegal beating Galway and Cork hammering Donegal yesterday after their performance against Limerick... jees! you'd need to be Nostradamus to consistently tip the right team.     

JMohan

Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 04, 2009, 12:21:19 AM
He reads a game well... this tipping who will win can be a bt of a lottery especially when you see what happened today and Kerry's recent form... Antrim beating Donegal, Donegal beating Galway and Cork hammering Donegal yesterday after their performance against Limerick... jees! you'd need to be Nostradamus to consistently tip the right team.     

I'm not as big a fan as you

I also think he plays to the gallery too often to be sure when he's serious - which is why I like Dara and Anthony

muppet

Quote from: JMohan on August 03, 2009, 02:03:29 PM
I suppose what qualifies someone to sit on the seat on RTE?

Tohill - a few All Stars, Ulsters, Player of the Year, All Ireland
Spillane - Bags of brass, Texaco awards out the door, hat full of AI's
O'Rourke - AI's, Leinsters All Stars etc MOTM's
Brolly - AI and 2 All Stars
O'Cinnedie - a few AI's and All Stars, MOTM's etc

Lyons? - Leinsters as a manager
McStay - Connacht titles and an All Star

Don't rate the last two at all

We know you don't.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

JMohan

I'm told Lyons is still a pretty close advisor to Gilroy