Wee James Is The New Down Manager

Started by Cúig huaire, July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

I wonder will Dan McCartan make the panel. In Burrens 3 games in the championship he was skinned by Murtagh, Hughes and Laverty.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: rosskarr on September 14, 2009, 08:24:19 AM
I wonder will Laverty make the panel also?

He has too. I know not the most popular but he is a great player. Has great a great brain and deserves to be on panel at least. Very unselfish player also.

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 14, 2009, 08:47:08 AM

He has too. I know not the most popular but he is a great player. Has great a great brain and deserves to be on panel at least. Very unselfish player also.

He is no doubt a skillful player and after a ropey enough first half on Sunday he came into his own in 2nd half and was instrumental in the final result for Kilcoo but the doubts about size still are there, he is too small and lightweight for inter-county standard.

Leo

Quote from: Logan on September 14, 2009, 08:12:47 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 13, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
Good luck to James, Brian and Paddy for their entire term. I would like to have seen Peter McGrath involved, but I can also see the difficulties in bringing back a former manager. I look  forward to Down fielding our strongest possible squad, and bringing in this year's u21s at the right time. However, it all boils down to Martin Clarke. Without him, a real breakthrough will be difficult. If he come home, better days lie ahead.

To say it all boils down to one man is extreme

To say it all boils down to one man who has never played a senior county game is extreme madness.

Good luck to the two Macs and Tally.
Fierce tame altogether

Maiden1

Quote from: Stevie Nicks on September 14, 2009, 09:19:59 AM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 14, 2009, 08:47:08 AM

He is no doubt a skillful player and after a ropey enough first half on Sunday he came into his own in 2nd half and was instrumental in the final result for Kilcoo but the doubts about size still are there, he is too small and lightweight for inter-county standard.

If Down play the right ball in to him he is not too small.  The Tyrone forward line is not that big.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

thewobbler

Best wishes to the new management team. I'm 100% behind the choice. Down could be a different sort of team next year altogether.

Cúig huaire

Quote from: INDIANA on September 13, 2009, 02:18:30 PM
Excellent coup by Down- thats a really strong management team. Fair play to them.

Have to agree with Indiana. Think this could be the start of the road back for us.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

6th sam

Quote from: wobbller on September 13, 2009, 12:56:56 AM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 13, 2009, 12:09:57 AM
Quote from: wobbller on September 12, 2009, 12:49:50 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 11, 2009, 10:58:10 PM
A missed opportunity to deal with the root cause of Down's problems.

Yawn Yawn as regard your S/E Down rant and how would Tally help in this imaginary issue you have?Also tell me someone from ED who wasn't on that Down panel that should have been?
Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

I am not asking you to agree with me, be bored by me (Mr Hyper Riveting) or any thing else for that matter. 

My main and valid point is that Co Down is wastng its scarce resource by limiting itself to the formulae of not looking for talent beyond Div 1 and protegies of a favoured clubs, schools and Unis.  I believe that this continuence of this conurbation of Newry biased clique simply means the trend will continue, mores the pity for the Co. 
Look at Tyone for instance where the Co Champions do not have a single player on the Co Team.  Players in lowly leagues make the team and they do not have elitist schools that walk their students onto Co Minor teams.  Maybe there is something to be learned from that or maybe I'm just being silly and boring again.

You ask "tell me someone from ED who wasn't on that Down panel that should have been?"  This would be pointless.  If I suggested some names how could I expect you to know of them since they never get a chance of recognition within the present tried, tested and failed incestous system that has served us so pooly for the past 1 1/2 decades. 

Look, I'm as Down as you are, maybe even more so, but this is my opinion on the Wee James appointment.  An opinion I am entitled to it so please don't come on with the patrionics to me.  I'm confident you are in no position to do so.  Enjoy your weekend, I will mine.

Who would you have from East Down who was not on the panel previously and who would you have Manager if it wasn't James Mc Cartan? I'm presuming you haven't been at too many matches other than your own Club's.
Answer the questions and perhaps I could agree but in the absence of names your arguement is non-existent.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!

An East Down chip on the shoulder rant

As an East Down man,I think it is ridiculous to suggest that any Down manager will weaken his team by failing to pick players on the basis of their geographical location.Most  East Down clubs and players do not share the dedication to the GAA which is all so evident in most South Down clubs and players.The handful of East Down clubs that display a strong GAA ethos(kilcoo,liatroim,castlewellan,bryansford and loughinisland) are respected throughout the county.If the rest of the East Down clubs and players want recognition,they need to up the ante.To try and portray East Down as victims of some South Down conspiracy is embarassing.
PS.Good luck to James,Paddy and Brian!

Cúig huaire

Down forward Danny Hughes has backed the appointment of James McCartan as the county's new football manager.

And he believes the 1991 and '94 All-Ireland winner is taking on the job at a "good time".

"James is getting a team with an average age of 25 or 26," Hughes told the Irish News.

"Under Paddy O'Rourke and, to a certain degree Ross Carr, there was no middle ground. So I think James is inheriting a good mix of youth and experience.

Hughes also welcomes the retention of Paddy Tally as team trainer and the addition of former Donegal manager Brian McIver as a selector.

"I think it's a very, very strong ticket. They've gone for two outside men along with James. James is still a relatively young fella and I think the experience he's gained at club level and for Queen's will be invaluable.

"We know Tally from last year and I'd speak very highly of him. The credit should go to Ross (Carr) for introducing Paddy Tally to use.

"Thankfully, he's still involved with us. I know a lot of the senior players and younger fellas think Paddy Tally is a very good fella - and I'd be one of them.

"And Brian McIver did brilliant work with Donegal and I know the Donegal boys would have a good word for him, so it all lends itself to a very good team."
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

INDIANA

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 14, 2009, 09:45:34 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 13, 2009, 02:18:30 PM
Excellent coup by Down- thats a really strong management team. Fair play to them.

Have to agree with Indiana. Think this could be the start of the road back for us.

Well they've got good CV's - so thats a good start. If Clarke comes home- could be the dawn of a new era because there are a lot of good players in Down who are chronically underperforming in my view. If Mc Cartan can't put the swagger back into Down football- nobody will.

guevara

Good Luck to James, Paddy & Brian!
Theyve a mighty task ahead but any improvement on the farce that was the past few years is gonna be welcome by all Id say!
Some fellas could be in for a shock I reckon because James Id say will rattle a few egos along the way!
Hopefully the best players are selected at club level & not what has happened in the past boys being on it for simple reason they have been for a number of years.
Im hoping they can turn around our fortunes & restore some pride in the Red & Black jersey again.

Lavery probably will & should be invited along but if Kilcoo wi the Championship I dont think they will have 4 or 5 on it.........Lavery & possibly Devlin & Brannigan (Aidan)

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

DownFanatic

From Hoganstand

Pete McGrath has expressed his disgust at the way he was treated by the Down county board regarding the appointment of their new football manager.

The 1991 and '94 All-Ireland winning manager and outgoing under 21 boss had made no secret of his desire to return to senior hot seat following Ross Carr's sacking last month. But instead the selection committee opted for former star player James McCartan, who had been managing Ballinderry up until their recent exit from the Derry SFC.

"To say that I'm bitterly disappointed the way I was treated by the Down board would be understatement. I'm devastated, saddened and hurt by what's happened over the last four to five days," McGrath said

full back

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 16, 2009, 05:11:17 PM
From Hoganstand

Pete McGrath has expressed his disgust at the way he was treated by the Down county board regarding the appointment of their new football manager.

The 1991 and '94 All-Ireland winning manager and outgoing under 21 boss had made no secret of his desire to return to senior hot seat following Ross Carr's sacking last month. But instead the selection committee opted for former star player James McCartan, who had been managing Ballinderry up until their recent exit from the Derry SFC.

"To say that I'm bitterly disappointed the way I was treated by the Down board would be understatement. I'm devastated, saddened and hurt by what's happened over the last four to five days," McGrath said

Maybe Pete will cross the Canal to sicken ye lot

mountainboii

From Hoganstand

Sounds familiar.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: AFS on September 16, 2009, 06:18:27 PM
From Hoganstand

Sounds familiar.
Did he think he had the job? Unless he was promised the job I do not think he has cause be devestated. Disappointed yes.
We have to move on and I think we may have the right mgt in place to start to make inroads