Wee James Is The New Down Manager

Started by Cúig huaire, July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cúig huaire

Quote from: stew on September 12, 2009, 06:31:01 PM
Thank you God for this appointment, it will be a disaster and keep down where they belong, in the doldrums. ;D

Big Joe was interviewed for the Down job, but he could only promise us one All Ireland so he wasnt really a contender.  ;)
Is there not a management crisis in the orange county to keep you occupied, or has Hughie sold enough dodgy diesel to pay Grimleys expenses yet? Just shows where Grimleys loyalty is.  :D :D :D
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

stew

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 12, 2009, 08:48:48 PM
Thank you God for this appointment, it will be a disaster and keep down where they belong, in the doldrums. ;D

Big Joe was interviewed for the Down job, but he could only promise us one All Ireland so he wasnt really a contender.  ;)
Is there not a management crisis in the orange county to keep you occupied, or has Hughie sold enough dodgy diesel to pay Grimleys expenses yet? Just shows where Grimleys loyalty is.  :D :D :D

What has Grimleys loyalty, big joe or hughies dodgy diesel sales got to do with the fact that Down have once again taken a managerial muppet to head them up? ???

Wee james will end up living in a Caravan in crossmaglen instead of Burren after another three years of Down championship ineptitude. ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

wobbller

Quote from: stew on September 12, 2009, 08:54:59 PM
Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 12, 2009, 08:48:48 PM

What has Grimleys loyalty, big joe or hughies dodgy diesel sales got to do with the fact that Down have once again taken a managerial muppet to head them up? ???

Wee james will end up living in a Caravan in crossmaglen instead of Burren after another three years of Down championship ineptitude. ;D
Go and "stew" in your own mess in Armagh.

5 Sams

I havent commented much to date on this saga.....but I think James is in the same boat as Ross and DJ were....legendary footballers asked to manage 30+ average county footballers (with a couple of notable exceptions) without any experience of doing so before. Tally and McIver might help but we in Down expect results overnight...its not fair on the man in charge....maybe we havent got the stuff to deliver what we want.
The Aristocrat Years

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: wobbller on September 12, 2009, 12:49:50 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 11, 2009, 10:58:10 PM
A missed opportunity to deal with the root cause of Down's problems.

Yawn Yawn as regard your S/E Down rant and how would Tally help in this imaginary issue you have?Also tell me someone from ED who wasn't on that Down panel that should have been?
Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

I am not asking you to agree with me, be bored by me (Mr Hyper Riveting) or any thing else for that matter. 

My main and valid point is that Co Down is wastng its scarce resource by limiting itself to the formulae of not looking for talent beyond Div 1 and protegies of a favoured clubs, schools and Unis.  I believe that this continuence of this conurbation of Newry biased clique simply means the trend will continue, mores the pity for the Co. 
Look at Tyone for instance where the Co Champions do not have a single player on the Co Team.  Players in lowly leagues make the team and they do not have elitist schools that walk their students onto Co Minor teams.  Maybe there is something to be learned from that or maybe I'm just being silly and boring again.

You ask "tell me someone from ED who wasn't on that Down panel that should have been?"  This would be pointless.  If I suggested some names how could I expect you to know of them since they never get a chance of recognition within the present tried, tested and failed incestous system that has served us so pooly for the past 1 1/2 decades. 

Look, I'm as Down as you are, maybe even more so, but this is my opinion on the Wee James appointment.  An opinion I am entitled to it so please don't come on with the patrionics to me.  I'm confident you are in no position to do so.  Enjoy your weekend, I will mine.

Logan

I don't think anyone is suggesting McCartan has years of high level experience but I think even he knows that and Tally and McIvor will bring that to the party so I think it's a pretty nice package.

Better than most and the least they deserve is time by everyone!

DownFanatic

The talk last week was that McGrath was nailed on for this job. Big u-turn for the county board. Decision was probably based around the fact that McGrath was reluctant to do an interview.

Wee James is a very interesting choice. Obviously he doesn't have intercounty managerial experience and thats why McIver has been brought in. Thats where the key to this appointment lies. McIver has a decent track record and was highly rated by the players in Donegal. Id say he will have a bigger say in matters than most people think.

People may disagree but id say that our county panel is in for a big shakeup in terms of personnel this coming year.

JMohan

Interesting comparison

Down - McGrath doesn't want to do an interview - Down don't bend
Armagh - Grimley doesn't want to do an interview - Armagh still try to get him and fumble-

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on September 13, 2009, 02:04:18 PM
Interesting comparison

Armagh - Grimley doesn't want to do an interview - Armagh still try to get him and fumble-

In fairness the criticism the armagh county board was what made them bend. In my view they did all they could.

Excellent coup by Down- thats a really strong management team. Fair play to them.

Logan

Quote from: INDIANA on September 13, 2009, 02:18:30 PM
Interesting comparison

In fairness the criticism the armagh county board was what made them bend. In my view they did all they could.

Excellent coup by Down- thats a really strong management team. Fair play to them.

You have to hand it to the Down CB to manage to get the Wee James camp to row in with Tally and then to get Tally to step down from wanting to be number one.

Mourne Rover

Good luck to James, Brian and Paddy for their entire term. I would like to have seen Peter McGrath involved, but I can also see the difficulties in bringing back a former manager. I look  forward to Down fielding our strongest possible squad, and bringing in this year's u21s at the right time. However, it all boils down to Martin Clarke. Without him, a real breakthrough will be difficult. If he come home, better days lie ahead.

downgirl

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 13, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
Good luck to James, Brian and Paddy for their entire term. I would like to have seen Peter McGrath involved, but I can also see the difficulties in bringing back a former manager. I look  forward to Down fielding our strongest possible squad, and bringing in this year's u21s at the right time. However, it all boils down to Martin Clarke. Without him, a real breakthrough will be difficult. If he come home, better days lie ahead.

How likely is this??  Is he really thinking about it??

Mourne Rover

When Clarke came home for his sister's wedding in July,  he went training with An Riocht on his first night back. He is not usually in the Collingwood first team now, so he will pretty clearly look at his options. If the right course, or the right job, became available here, there is a realistic prospect that he would come back within the next year or so.

Logan

Quote from: wobbller on September 13, 2009, 11:09:43 PM
Quote from: Logan on September 13, 2009, 09:22:44 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 13, 2009, 02:18:30 PM
Interesting comparison

You have to hand it to the Down CB to manage to get the Wee James camp to row in with Tally and then to get Tally to step down from wanting to be number one.
Nothing to do with the CB ,it was a sub-committee who completed this task
Well done to them then!

Logan

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 13, 2009, 11:22:58 PM

To say it all boils down to one man is extreme