Kilkenny v Waterford AI semi final 9th August - can Waterford exact revenge ?

Started by orangeman, July 26, 2009, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Zulu on August 06, 2009, 11:50:48 AM
Last Monday's Kerry/Dublin game showed that logic and sport don't always mix, but I can't see Waterford upsetting Kilkenny in this one. The reality is that Waterford have been quite poor this year and there are still problems at full back, midfield is hit and miss and outside of Mullane none of the other forwards are making a big impression on the scoreboard. Kilkenny won't have to be firing on all cylinders to beat Waterford and I expect them to do so by 6-8 points.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet - Damon Runyon

bottlethrower7

Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2009, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2009, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: EddieMerx on August 06, 2009, 08:48:16 AM
Was talking to my auld lad who knows somebody inside the Kilkenny camp, apparently they are not training with the same intensity and the players seem tired! He fears an ambush on Sunday. I will take it with a pinch of salt to be honest this same guy thinks that if there is no blood on your jersey then you are not playing with intensity ;D

Just to add to this. Tennyson got 8 stitches in a training match last week.  Didn't even get a free apparently for the incident. Tennyson expected to have to go to hospital to get stitched. Cody told him to go into the dressing room , get stitched and resume his position on the field.
Tennyson duly did- as he'd well aware if he doesn't somebody else will.
Thats the difference. Kilkenny get nothing on the field of play they don't get in training.

Serious ?? Cody is not much of a ref by all accounts. This confirms it.

the matches are tough. But they're clean. And if you get bottled up you release the ball. Its about common sense and getting the most out of your training game. Typically the only time the whistle will blow is when the ball goes out of play. And thats how it should be. The players don't whinge. They learn to expect they're not going to get anything soft and it stands to them.

And as regards intensity or lack thereof. Thats not true. Its intense as ever. Theres some tiredness there perhaps but theres no lack of effort or intensity among the players. What I was more worried about was that none of the forwards really set the world alight. Actually, Riche Power did, but faded after a bit. I'll revise that forward selection I put there earlier. Theres no way Power won't start. Hes playing too well. Rice will be the one from those I picked most likely to make way.

And, as regards tiredness - Kilkenny have Hickey, Cha, Hogan, Tennyson, Lyng, Fennelly all recently returned from long-enough injuries. Really, tiredness should not be an issue.

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on August 06, 2009, 12:28:28 PM
Was talking to my auld lad who knows somebody inside the Kilkenny camp, apparently they are not training with the same intensity and the players seem tired! He fears an ambush on Sunday. I will take it with a pinch of salt to be honest this same guy thinks that if there is no blood on your jersey then you are not playing with intensity ;D

Just to add to this. Tennyson got 8 stitches in a training match last week.  Didn't even get a free apparently for the incident. Tennyson expected to have to go to hospital to get stitched. Cody told him to go into the dressing room , get stitched and resume his position on the field.
Thats the difference. Kilkenny get nothing on the field of play they don't get in training.

Just because you get a cut doesn't necessarily mean it should be a free. Shit happens
[/b]

I know but a cut requiring 8 stitches might be a free ??

EddieMerx

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on August 06, 2009, 01:16:15 PM
And as regards intensity or lack thereof. Thats not true. Its intense as ever. Theres some tiredness there perhaps but theres no lack of effort or intensity among the players. What I was more worried about was that none of the forwards really set the world alight. Actually, Riche Power did, but faded after a bit. I'll revise that forward selection I put there earlier. Theres no way Power won't start. Hes playing too well. Rice will be the one from those I picked most likely to make way.

And, as regards tiredness - Kilkenny have Hickey, Cha, Hogan, Tennyson, Lyng, Fennelly all recently returned from long-enough injuries. Really, tiredness should not be an issue.

As I said I would take it with a pinch of salt, The standards that the management set is so high that any drop would be considered worrying for them.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2009, 01:47:49 PM

Just because you get a cut doesn't necessarily mean it should be a free. Shit happens
[/b]

Eh?

When will the teams be named?

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on August 06, 2009, 02:39:31 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2009, 01:47:49 PM

[/b]

Eh?

When will the teams be named?

Teams named tonight.

bottlethrower7

Kilkenny usually name their team on the friday night before a game.

no reason to think it'll be any way different this time.

orangeman

Davy has named the same team except that Eoin Mc Grath comes in for Shane Casey in the corner. Ken and Dan on the binch.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2009, 11:48:17 PM
Davy has named the same team except that Eoin Mc Grath comes in for Shane Casey in the corner. Ken and Dan on the binch.

Jamie Nagle also out too...Walsh in

Eastern_Pride

I think waterford could have their day because, even though they wouldn't have a hope in a final, they might catch them in a final. I don't think they will but....you never know..
Kilkenny 1-25 3-12 Waterford
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

AZOffaly

I said a while ago that for some unkown feeling in my water, I didn't think Kilkenny would win the All Ireland this year. I have a sneaky suspicion that Limerick might take Tipp, and I can't see them losing the final to Limerick.

Following this highly illogical thought pattern, I reckon that Waterford might just cause a shock here tomorrow. Hickey being back in contention is absolutely huge for the Cats, and a big blow for Waterford, but I just can't shake off a nagging feeling that the likes of Eoin Kelly, Brick Walsh and co might just step up to the mark tomorrow.

Kilkenny don't do 'slip ups' usually, but a team that moves the ball fast against them might just catch them in a semi final, if they can get on top in the half back line, and keep the scoreboard ticking over.

f**k it. Waterford by 2.

INDIANA

Having seen Waterford live against Galway I can't see it. Galway threw that game away Waterford didn't win it. Waterford didn't overly impress bar their fighting resolve. Have some fine players but kilkenny will stretch them. Won't be anything like last years score but kilkenny by about 8 points for me.

AZOffaly

You're probably right INDIANA, but as I said, I just feel something in my water. Kilkenny were immense last September, and Waterford were well below their best. I can't see Kilkenny reproducing a display like that, nor can I see Waterford folding like a cheap suit.

I'd reckon the line is about 8 points as you suggest, but in Hurling, as you know, a goal or two at vital times can see an 8 point favourite suddenly being up against it.

I'm sticking to my gut feel for now :D

seafoid

Fingers crossed for the Deise. Wouldn't a Waterford-Limerick final be marvellous ?